✟8,067.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
water_ripple said:
Well he thought it was funny to say it over and over again..I pulled him into the car, and left the parking lot...I then preceeded to tell him how ignorant he was..he just laughed and laughed..He thought it was so very funny to unerve an elderly lady.

So while it may not be a big deal to others it is really disgusting to others. If a person must cuss I feel that they should at least be considerate for others..

This is disturbing behavior. Unfortunately, I know it is completely "normal" for so many. Thanks for the post, Ripple.

Upvote 0

the Colonel

STARGATE SG-1!
Oct 1, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,067.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Phileo said:
OK I am going to date myself now LOL (Cause I know that I am older thank y'all prolly think)

But does anyone here remember when, trying to figure out what to watch with the kids was defined by the words "Prime Time"? Those were shows that were aired after 9:00 PM and considered more for adult taste. Heck when I was a kid the Flintstones was on evening programing and now there is the Simpsons and King of the Hill.

I'm not that old. ;) Just kidding. No, but I do remember watching Muppets, Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons on "prime time." Don't think there was cussing on those shows. Now, 'prime time' is a joke. Get the filth off the main networks during prime time. If you want to air and watch filth, do it during a certain late time slot so we can all make informed decisions on when to turn the TV off.

This also goes for all those trash commercials and previews for unbeleivably disgusting and horrendous horror films and the like. What a bunch of filth! We could be watching a completely innocent program and then get almost knocked off the couch with the trash that poses for commercials. Unbelievable!

I think most of us would not be against those networks the right to air garbage. Let's just have some restrictions on when it can be aired and under what circumstances. I really appreciate the disclaimer that comes before NYPD Blue. This is exactly the type of model to follow. It airs late and has a disclaimer. Very tasteful.

--the Colonel

Upvote 0

Yobi

Atheist to be saved...
Oct 16, 2003
Visit site
✟854.00
Faith
Atheist
Perhaps we should tell our president from using profanities as well. I remember hearing a story about how him calling someone else an a-hole during conference but he forgot the mike was on. I am pretty sure some our current Dem presidential candidates probably had used bad words from time to time as well. I personally do not believe you can judge a person purely based on the language they choose to use. You have to get to know the person. Someone can be very nice and giving but still have a bad habit using improper languages. That's why I don't equate it as being offensive. Everyone sees it very differently.

Upvote 0

Force

GO NOLES!!!!!!! 16 58
Sep 23, 2002
In Vegas at the moment....
Visit site
✟8,888.00
Faith
Pentecostal
And what I love now days...that they have desensitized certain curse words... How we switch "big" cuss words to supposed "little" ones...so funny...they take out Ahole and just say A. Im thinking isnt A** the part of the word thats bad...lol.....or the F word to the SOB word etc. etc. You might as well keep the original. :rolleyes: :D

Or what was I watching the other day....they bleeped out the word gay but said GD? WHAT IS THAT ABOUT!

Upvote 0

water_ripple

Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟1,561.00
Faith
Christian
Yobi said:
Perhaps we should tell our president from using profanities as well. I remember hearing a story about how him calling someone else an a-hole during conference but he forgot the mike was on. I am pretty sure some our current Dem presidential candidates probably had used bad words from time to time as well. I personally do not believe you can judge a person purely based on the language they choose to use. You have to get to know the person. Someone can be very nice and giving but still have a bad habit using improper languages. That's why I don't equate it as being offensive. Everyone sees it very differently.
Shifting the blame will not help matters..the fact of the matter is that many times cussing is used soley for the purpose of upsetting someone else. When a person uses it as part of their daily life they do seem ignorant..I've been there..I remeber..Am I lacking for intellegence? no. I was sorely lacking in respect.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I don't expect the non-religious to act religious. However, I do expect certain manners and common courtesy. Just as our lawmakers have traditionally demanded such respect in public. Of course I can walk away or go hide like a hermit somewhere so that I am not exposed to rude and profane behavior.
Manners are important to society as well as the underlying principles behind manners. Such as respect for others and an acknowledgement that the public arena involves more than just my selfish desires being gratified with no regard for the effect it has on others. The issue that bothers me the most about this is the hard-hearted attitude that people can talk and act however, whereever and whenever they want in the public arena with absolutely no restraint of any kind. I remember when I was a child that even course mouthed sailors would clean up their manners around a lady or a child. This was not just some silly tradition but rather a regognition that there is a time and place for things and a basic respect for how our actions effect others.

Upvote 0

Phileo

Dec 2, 2003
✟1,080.00
Yitzchak said:
I don't expect the non-religious to act religious. However, I do expect certain manners and common courtesy. Just as our lawmakers have traditionally demanded such respect in public. Of course I can walk away or go hide like a hermit somewhere so that I am not exposed to rude and profane behavior.
Manners are important to society as well as the underlying principles behind manners. Such as respect for others and an acknowledgement that the public arena involves more than just my selfish desires being gratified with no regard for the effect it has on others. The issue that bothers me the most about this is the hard-hearted attitude that people can talk and act however, whereever and whenever they want in the public arena with absolutely no restraint of any kind. I remember when I was a child that even course mouthed sailors would clean up their manners around a lady or a child. This was not just some silly tradition but rather a regognition that there is a time and place for things and a basic respect for how our actions effect others.​
:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug::hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
By the way, the "F" word finds it's origins in the legal system of England. It originally was an acronynm placed on the stocks where offenders were placed as public spectacle as a punishment for morals crimes. Persons passing by could look and see what the crime of the individual was.

This particular acronymn stands for- For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and was used for the crimes of adultery and other immoral sexual practices. Hence the assoiation it still has with crude sexual behavior.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't cuss. Haven't purposefully said a word like that since I was six years old, with the exception of accidentally making an overly sensitive censor filter go off once with the words "Classic Coke," a year ago and feeling like slime and garbage for weeks after that in fear that someone thought I was really cussing. :o

Even in my writing, where I have to remain in-character, I imply it (i.e. "he unleashed a tirade of billingsgate") but I've never said it even in character dialogue. The only time it's showed up in one of my stories was in a scene a friend co-writing my most recent one wrote (NOT ME), and I let her include it because it was a very dramatic scene and in-character for the dialogue.

Nevertheless, I'm a realist on this issue. While I most definitely avoid using bad language because it's against my morals and makes me sound like an idiot, and while if someone is being a total idiot about it in talking to me (i.e. saying sex words every few seconds, repeatedly cursing God) I'll make it clear that I want them to tone down the curse barrage-that's it.

I'm not going to appoint myself censor of anyone but myself (and of people who break the forum rules here ;) ), because there is a right to free speech and free expression, and not everyone is a Biblically solid Christian.

If I find something utterly, horribly offensive (like I find "The Simple Life" and other "reality TV," language or no language, because of the exploitation of human beings' private lives, bad writing, and utter insipidity), I would simply refuse to watch it. :) If enough people refuse to watch or read plotless, mindless garbage (rather than watch it and complain about it), it will disappear from the scene soon enough.

Upvote 0

Yobi

Atheist to be saved...
Oct 16, 2003
Visit site
✟854.00
Faith
Atheist
I believe language can be used more creatively. Profanity can be used to show affections towards another, so what's the big deal?

The thing that matters for me is. Is it a habbit? Can you apply the language differently depends on who you talk to and the occasions?

I remember last year one of my old friend came visit me alone with his girlfriend. I hadn't see him for years and it was the first time I met his girlfriend as well. I was very polite while my friend was very happy to see me and was very playful. So he was calling me old-nicknames that might not sound pretty. But that was for the spirit of the occassion you know. The thing is that his girlfriend was freaked out by my friend's choice of words towards me. She thought that he was being very rude and disrespectful. They end up having a big fight because of it.

I felt bad and wished I could tell her to lighten up.

Upvote 0

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Firscherscherling said:
Ahh. Let the insults begin!

Drugged up limited intelligence, eh?

Try growing up and not being afraid of words.
Fischerling, normally, I'm on your side, but here even I draw a line. It's not a fear of any word in particular but a matter of civil discourse. I don't know about you but listening to a bunch of vulgarity is a real turn off, it's just so low life, you know?

Why would you want to sound like you should be living in the gutter ,instead of using language in it's infinite beauty and variety? I'm tired of all of the unnecessary vulgarity we have to put up with. If a man had said a word like that in front of my mother, my dad would have decked him for being disrespectful.

And even if you don't get that part of it, don't you see the incredible lack of thought and the inability to express yourself that is tied up in using the same tired vulgar words over and over to express yourself? Must we all emulate street thugs? Is this progress? Not to mention, it's plain old tedious and boring.

I'd rather hear someone put some thought into expressing their feelings, instead of going for the cheap laugh of vulgar language. Just a thought or two.

Reactions: BarbB
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

msjones21

Nov 26, 2003
Atlanta, GA
✟3,674.00
Faith
Pagan
Amen to everything you said, Lillith! How much intelligence does it take to use profanity or better yet, to use it in front of your children? Television has gone too far, in my opinion, even without the use of profanity. Look at the subject matter on TV. If people want to watch vulgar television shows then they need to pay for HBO or Showtime. Leave the regular channels, which any child could be surfing, as clean as possible. I was shocked the first time I heard GD on a soap opera. They can't use the slang term for flatulence on TV, but they can say GD. Let's not offend people with the word fart, but make sure we blaspheme God. Brilliant.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lillithspeak said:
Fischerling, normally, I'm on your side, but here even I draw a line. It's not a fear of any word in particular but a matter of civil discourse. I don't know about you but listening to a bunch of vulgarity is a real turn off, it's just so low life, you know?

And even if you don't get that part of it, don't you see the incredible lack of thought and ability to express yourself that is tied up in using the same tired vulgar words over and over to express yourself? Must we all emulate street thugs? Is this progress? Not to mention, it's plain old tedious and boring.

I'd rather hear someone put some thought into expressing their feelings instead of going for the cheap laugh of vulgar language. Just a thought or two.

Good post. :) I honestly find it *incredibly* annoying as a writer (not even to start on how I feel as a Christian) when profane language of any sort is just used as "filler" or "cheap laughs."

Upvote 0

Lillithspeak

The Umbrella
Aug 26, 2003
Vermont
✟9,786.00
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Susan and Ms Jones,

Thanks for the support. I really think our language determines how we are perceived by the rest of the world. If we sound like ignorant street thugs, then we shouldn't be surprised when people look at us askance. And using GD on tv shouldn't be allowed any more than other less than lovely examples of bodily functions. Ten o'clock shows that use the language that's appropriate for their plot line is fine, but the rest of the time, cheap and tawdry in my book.

Upvote 0

Yobi

Atheist to be saved...
Oct 16, 2003
Visit site
✟854.00
Faith
Atheist
Let's suppose we are watching a show that is suppose to reflect the urban aspects of our society, then what can you expect? Should they change the script to make it less offensive but does not really reflect what the message was intended?

I hear a lot of people complaining about violence and the language with the media, for example, the music industries. I admit I think there's lot of times they just trying to be provocative to make an appeal. But there are other times I find the criticism unjustified and limits the artist's creativity over his own work.

Upvote 0