✟8,067.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Firscherscherling said:
Who ****ing cares? Why are people so afraid of words? My daughter is 7 and sh has already heard them all outside my home (and probably a few in it- ha!). The world did not come to an end. She does not go around cussing. By being exposed to these words and being given tyhe opportunity to be taught by me was is ok and what isn't, she is far better off than some kid who's parents try to keep everything from them and then gets a kick in the *** when they leave the bubble and go into the real world. And if my daughter stubs her toe and says ****-it in the privacy of her own room, so be it. That's what I do!

Oh, yay for you. We're so happy for you. We're so glad you feel so free and liberated to be able to cuss in front of your daughter.

Nobody's living in a bubble. Where does this notion come from that children need to be exposed to every possible ailment of "real life" in order that they not become some kind of social rejects? It's not only ignorant, it's irresponsible. There used to something called social grace and etiquette. We're glad to see your daughter will have no part of that in her life. :bow:

--CK

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Yobi said:
But in English langugue where someone use the phrase "Fk Brilliant", no one really consider that as "too" offensive nor will you think there's something wrong with that person's mind. It is become a language that is publicly acceptable already, not just on the way becoming. So the trend is already there and it will be extremely difficult for you to change the entire social structure. I agree that some censorings will help, but on the other hand it is not the whole picture.

"f- brilliant" is acceptable to whom. And as already stated, I will think that there is something wrong with that person's mind! It is not acceptable in my presence, and guess what - my non-Christian friends do not use that language in front of me anymore! So, it's not impossible!

Besides, as force said, I hate being thought of as poor white trash! :D

Upvote 0

Yobi

Atheist to be saved...
Oct 16, 2003
Visit site
✟854.00
Faith
Atheist
Phileo said:
In posting this I realize the profanity is the norm for some and some are just indifferent. I feel that young people are impressional. We make the rules that they live by.

I was at a graduation this summer, a teenaged girl behind me talking with her friends sounded like this, "Oh girl he's such a F-ing dog... that B is crazy, Those MFs are always starting Sh**..." I finally turned around and asked her, "Excuse me but do you pray to Jesus with that mouth?"

One of my neighbor's allowed his son to invite his skatepark buddies to a small party. That morning I woke to find my house TP'd, but to my horror I also found my yard and car sprayed with profanity (no physical damage just shaving cream...<burby kids -lol>) The parents came to apologize but added, "aww they are just rambunctious boys... you know." If it had been one of my boys I would have beat his ramBUTTOCKS and made him clean up the mess.

So I am not saying you must agree or disagree, but if you find it is offensive and you want to let the FCC or your government officials know how you feel then do whatever you can... and if you don't "I ain't mad at ya!" Afterall this is America for the people and by the People :rolleyes: .

The difference is see is what kind of society we live in. If you live in a more consevative society, people are more afraid to be different from a pre-determined social standard. You'll stop saying it if you know your peers will look down on you for saying it. Same can apply here but I guess America preach to kids more about freedom of speech, diversity and individuality, etc, etc. But it all comes down to the overall surroundings and peer relationships.

Upvote 0

Force

GO NOLES!!!!!!! 16 58
Sep 23, 2002
In Vegas at the moment....
Visit site
✟8,888.00
Faith
Pentecostal
newlamb said:
Oops, my bad! :hug:

I'm actually more a Penn State fan - don't you really feel sorry for me now?
Yeah I do, but JoePa is cool and a good friend of Bobbys....

Anyways the first time I heard my dad ever cuss was when I was 12...it was raining and we had to walk to Pep Boys for some parts on the car....some woman got real close to the curb and drenched us...I think my dad said the S word...anyways I was stunned didnt say anything though...but he felt SOOOO bad (my dad is such a big teddy bear.. love em) about it later he apologized and I could see he almost had a tear. And he never cries. But neither of my parents cussed around me, and they knew I would hear it out there..and man I went through a rebellious stage when I was a kid...but I didnt bring that filth in the house out of respect. They always taught me that I was smart enough to find other ways of getting my point across and quite frankly I think its awesome when in real tough situations people restrain themselves or say something else instead of cussing.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
force - my parents were the same. I learned all the words in the 60's and 70's and used them without restraint and with the intent to shock, but still shut my mouth around my parents!

I love Joe! Saw him 10 years ago jogging on the beach and he's got a hot bod for an old guy! :p

Upvote 0

the Colonel

STARGATE SG-1!
Oct 1, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,067.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
newlamb said:
Susan, phileo and Colonel - :hug: - you guys rock also! (Inspired already knows that she rocks and she has a big head about it :D)

Why thank you, Newlamb. Very funny about inspired.

Well, folks, I certainly am disheartened to see that such course speaking has become a part of everyday, in almost every situation, discourse. It troubles me. It bothers me. I'm not even exactly sure why. I'm only 31, but even I remember when I was younger, most adults did not use that type of language as a matter of course. Now, working in sales, I'll have customers come in and just start spouting cuss words as their talking. That's disgusting. It's ill-mannered. It's disrespectful. And it is COMPLETELY unprofessional. I understand that kind of talk amongst friends, but in open air social settings, people should simply be more restrained.

What really bothers me is seeing a customer who has a complaint with service. The one who is polite, but firm will get the big ol' screw you thrown right back at them . . . in a polite way, of course. It's the loud mouthed jerk who's cussing and screaming who gets bowed down to. This is outrageous!

Is anyone else bothered by this?

Just some meandering thoughts. Don't mind me . . .

--the Colonel

Upvote 0

Doctrine1st

Official nitwit
Oct 11, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
✟12,523.00
Faith
Politics
US-Others
Thanks Phileo, this is over the top in my opinion. Why is this a neccessity? I always held the opinion anyone who had to use profanity to make their point was just incapable of forumulating one with acceptable language. Another point, I don't understand the need for explicit love scenes in any movie in which they are not needed? Does this really add to the movie or is this a device to attract certain elements to the movie for profit? Is this shock value? I think most can get the picture without seeing the picture, or maybe it's just me?

BTW, isn't the head of the FCC a Bush appointee and the owner of FOX a strong Bush supporter? Surely as a Christian, I can expect Bush to take a public stand against both?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

the Colonel

STARGATE SG-1!
Oct 1, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,067.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Mac6yver said:
We should do as Canada has, anything goes after 9pm, that includes cursing and sex. Europe has similar rules. America is actually one of the most conservative countries in the world when it comes to our TV.
To be honest with you, I could really go for this, as long is there is always a disclaimer before the shows air. I think it would be great to know that, before 9PM, I don't have to worry about vulgar stuff. After that, the TV's off. That sort of happens now, but not that clear cut.

Upvote 0

Yobi

Atheist to be saved...
Oct 16, 2003
Visit site
✟854.00
Faith
Atheist
newlamb said:
"f- brilliant" is acceptable to whom. And as already stated, I will think that there is something wrong with that person's mind! It is not acceptable in my presence, and guess what - my non-Christian friends do not use that language in front of me anymore! So, it's not impossible!

Besides, as force said, I hate being thought of as poor white trash! :D

Acceptable to a lot of people. I believe Susan pointed out that studies have show an average American adult swears or uses expletives words 24 times a day. I believe younger adult's average will be much higher than that. So hmm, it is generally accepted. This statistic applies to everyone, means even a person with high education and a good job does not escape this trend. I won't find it offfensive because I know it is generally accepted as non-offensive by the peer group you associate with. If someone repeat it over and over then I might find it kind of vague, but anyway.

Upvote 0

Phileo

Dec 2, 2003
✟1,080.00
OK I am going to date myself now LOL (Cause I know that I am older thank y'all prolly think)

But does anyone here remember when, trying to figure out what to watch with the kids was defined by the words "Prime Time"? Those were shows that were aired after 9:00 PM and considered more for adult taste. Heck when I was a kid the Flintstones was on evening programing and now there is the Simpsons and King of the Hill.

And yeah looks can be deceiving cuz I am that old LOL... good ol' prime time!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

water_ripple

Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟1,561.00
Faith
Christian
This new fascination with cussing on American TV has relativley recently come about..I rember as a child that virtually no cussing at all was on TV..not even d**n...In the last few years B, SOB, and the like have made their way into telivision. They even allow cursing into some cartoons on the Cartoon Network..There have been more than one instance when I was shocked at the words that are aired on TV in the past six-months.

Me personally every other word that came out of my mouth before becomming a Christian was usually a swear. Twas a difficult habbit to break because I had been doing it for so long that I really did not hear the words springing from my mouth..Although I must be honest I did not get many good receptions with my expletives..Actually it made me look ridiculous and stupid..but still I was shocked by the cussing airing on TV.

Also I have children, and from my language hearing the exact same words comming from my 2 year old deeply disturbed me..Took quite a while to correct that problem, but it started with me fixing my problem first..Also got me thinking that if that was how I felt about my child using those words (no matter what context they are used) that God probably would not like those words comming from my mouth either.

I know others do not regard these words the same way in which I do, but I must say that acting like an enraged idiot to get a point across or to get what you want done only makes the person using those expletives silly. Many times those words are used into forcing others to do what is personally desired..and if the only power of persuasion comes from cursing then that person should just give it up. Not everyone cowers to do the bidding of an abusive terms that are used to intimidate. Cursing is like an assault on the senses..The other day my brother and I were getting in the car, and he said the F word really loud..I could tell that it really offended the elderly lady standing by, and I told him to keep quiet..Well he thought it was funny to say it over and over again..I pulled him into the car, and left the parking lot...I then preceeded to tell him how ignorant he was..he just laughed and laughed..He thought it was so very funny to unerve an elderly lady.

So while it may not be a big deal to others it is really disgusting to others. If a person must cuss I feel that they should at least be considerate for others..

Upvote 0