FCC OK's F-word on Network TV?

stubbornkelly

Oct 27, 2003
Visit site
✟712.00
Faith
Christian
The FCC ruled that in that particular instance, it didn't violate the rules. That doesn't mean it's going to start being used all over the place. They do bleep Paris Hilton's show, The Simple Life, and they bleeped most everything on the Billboard awards show - it's a live show, and they missed one. I don't think it's anything to get up in arms about.

Anyway, the FCC ruling was NOT to just allow people to say **** whenever they feel like it. Read the ruling. AFA has misrepresented the ruling.

Upvote 0

Firscherscherling

Liberal Filthy Hairless Pig-Monkey
Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
newlamb said:
Network TV should know better. HBO is one thing, but Fox was way out of line here. If some of you think that it's censorship or a free speech issue, fine - you can watch cable and get all the profanity you want. The rest of us are not interested.

It really shows a drugged up limited intelligence and vocabulary to be unable to think of words other than the s--- and f words!
Ahh. Let the insults begin!

Drugged up limited intelligence, eh?

Try growing up and not being afraid of words.

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Good one Knight!
laughing-smiley-011.gif

Upvote 0

BarbB

I stand with my brothers and sisters in Israel!
Aug 6, 2003
NJ summers; FL winters
✟25,548.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
Firscherscherling said:
Try growing up and not being afraid of words.

I am not afraid of the words - there's not one that I didn't use myself before I was a Christian, but if you can't see that there are alternatives to these words, then I do have to wonder about your intelligence or vocabulary, as well as your manners! :D

Upvote 0

Firscherscherling

Liberal Filthy Hairless Pig-Monkey
Apr 9, 2003
✟3,271.00
Faith
Atheist
Paris Hilton being an idiot has nothing to do with whehter people who use certain words ore stupid, drugged up or ill-mannered. Word usage depends on message, context, and situation. And I know there are alternatives to these words. However, quite often such words can be as useful as any other. For example, some of them would be of great use to me now as I would like to say them to you. Alas context and situation tell me not to.

Upvote 0

MsDe

oldrooster's sweetie
Oct 16, 2003
The armpit of the Salt Lake Valley. :)
Visit site
✟8,742.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Children learn a number of things from watching TV, including censoring their language. If the TV is censoring certain words it teaches that although the kids may use profanity, it isn't appropriate in any and all situations. Does that make sense? :scratch:

Upvote 0

Force

GO NOLES!!!!!!! 16 58
Sep 23, 2002
In Vegas at the moment....
Visit site
✟8,888.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Ok first off when has the F word NOT BEEN SEXUAL?! I love that.....You can use the F word as long as its not in a sexual meaning...did we lose the meaning of the word? Is there anyone here who can tell me what the F word means and it not be sexual? Just wondering.

Cussing is vulgar, crass, and completely unintelligent...can you not think of a better word to describe what your feeling? What are we 14? Oh its so cool to cuss. :rolleyes:

Granted I cuss every now and then...and then I have to go back and correct myself or apologize to those around me for looking like white trash.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yobi

Atheist to be saved...
Oct 16, 2003
Visit site
✟854.00
Faith
Atheist
Phileo said:
*You're welcome Water Ripple*

I know that there is an option to change the channel and not watch this ot that... all children, teens, youth...etc will not have supervison (for whatever reason) and may come across something they did not expect... but beyond that...

Before we have to decide what we have to pick and choose we have an option to help ban this before it becomes a trend. That was my purpose for posting it.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

It is a trend because the use of words is acceptable by our society. There is no need for you to pay attention on what's on TV, but pay attention to how people actually talk in their regular lifes.

If a Chinese person regularly use profanities in his language, everyone else will just look at him weird, perhaps will even think that this particular person is an uneducated and ungraceful being. It is because profanities are extremely offensive and is used only when you really want to offend someone, or just used because you don't particularly feel like there's anything wrong with saying it.

But in English langugue where someone use the phrase "Fk Brilliant", no one really consider that as "too" offensive nor will you think there's something wrong with that person's mind. It is become a language that is publicly acceptable already, not just on the way becoming. So the trend is already there and it will be extremely difficult for you to change the entire social structure. I agree that some censorings will help, but on the other hand it is not the whole picture.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
stubbornkelly said:
The FCC ruled that in that particular instance, it didn't violate the rules. That doesn't mean it's going to start being used all over the place. They do bleep Paris Hilton's show, The Simple Life, and they bleeped most everything on the Billboard awards show - it's a live show, and they missed one. I don't think it's anything to get up in arms about.

Read the ruling. AFA has misrepresented the ruling.

Indeed. The following is taken from snopes.com (which has an entire article on this-I can't link to it because they didn't bleep the word in their article and hence, I would be breaking Rule 4 by linking to it. If you want to see it, go to snopes.com and search the "Inboxer Rebellion" section. You'll find it.)

"The AFA 'Action Alert' implies that the 2003 Golden Globes ceremony marked the first incidence of anyone's using the "f-word" on television, after which the FCC underwent a sea change and suddenly declared that all offensive language, including the "f-word," could now be used at any time, in any context, in all radio and TV programming. That wasn't the case — they addressed one specific context in which the "f-word" was allowed (a "fleeting and isolated" remark used as "an adjective or expletive to emphasize an exclamation") while reiterating that certain other uses of the "f-word" (those which describe or depict "sexual activities") and other offending terms (such as scatological references) were still not permissible under current FCC regulations."

I'm not in favor of these words by any definition of things. As a writer and grammar nerd, I personally find them offensive and intellectually pointless because if you think hard enough, you can think of something else or of a different way to write the situation where something lesser will suffice. :)

However, spreading urban legends and panicking that this isolated ruling "opens the floodgates" is not the way to go about reducing the amount of profanity in society.

The way to do that is to stop yourself from using these words, and ask that those speaking to you not use them in talking to you. Studies have stated that the average American adult swears or uses expletives 24 times a day. :eek: :( So, let's just say that one of these average persons decided to stop using expletives and swearwords at all for a week. That, in and of itself, would be *168* less swearwords and expletives heard. :) It's not as easy as e-mailing an urban legend to others, but it would make a difference-unlike doing that.

Hey, in fact. . .I have an idea for a new thread because of this.

Upvote 0

Force

GO NOLES!!!!!!! 16 58
Sep 23, 2002
In Vegas at the moment....
Visit site
✟8,888.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Yobi said:
It is a trend because the use of words is acceptable by our socialty. You should not pay attention to what is on TV but how people actually talk to each other in their regular lifes.

If a Chinese person regularly use profanities in his language, everyone else will just look at him weird, perhaps will even think that this particular person is an uneducated and ungraceful being. It is because profanities are extremely offensive and is used only when you really want to offend someone, or just used because you don't particularly feel like there's anything wrong with saying it.

But in English langugue where someone use the phrase "Fk Brilliant", no one really consider that as "too" offensive nor will you think there's something wrong with that person's mind. It is become a language that is publicly acceptable already, not just on the way becoming. So the trend is already there and it will be extremely difficult for you to change the entire social structure.
I dont know what part of the country you come from but when someone is spouting off the F word every two seconds I roll my eyes and we try to get out of the situation fast. And I live in Las Vegas...Sin City. Its disgusting and stupid. And I know all the old people...especially those 35+ I have been around especially really old people find it offensive...unless they are an offender.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phileo

Dec 2, 2003
✟1,080.00
In posting this I realize the profanity is the norm for some and some are just indifferent. I feel that young people are impressional. We make the rules that they live by.

I was at a graduation this summer, a teenaged girl behind me talking with her friends sounded like this, "Oh girl he's such a F-ing dog... that B is crazy, Those MFs are always starting Sh**..." I finally turned around and asked her, "Excuse me but do you pray to Jesus with that mouth?"

One of my neighbor's allowed his son to invite his skatepark buddies to a small party. That morning I woke to find my house TP'd, but to my horror I also found my yard and car sprayed with profanity (no physical damage just shaving cream...<burby kids -lol>) The parents came to apologize but added, "aww they are just rambunctious boys... you know." If it had been one of my boys I would have beat his ramBUTTOCKS and made him clean up the mess.

So I am not saying you must agree or disagree, but if you find it is offensive and you want to let the FCC or your government officials know how you feel then do whatever you can... and if you don't "I ain't mad at ya!" Afterall this is America for the people and by the People :rolleyes: .

Upvote 0

Inspired

only hurts when I breathe
Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,494.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/f-word.asp

The AFA "Action Alert" implies that the 2003 Golden Globes ceremony marked the first incidence of anyone's using the "f-word" on television, after which the FCC underwent a sea change and suddenly declared that all offensive language, including the "f-word," could now be used at any time, in any context, in all radio and TV programming. That wasn't the case — they addressed one specific context in which the "f-word" was allowed (a "fleeting and isolated" remark used as "an adjective or expletive to emphasize an exclamation") while reiterating that certain other uses of the "f-word" (those which describe or depict "sexual activities") and other offending terms (such as scatological references) were still not permissible under current FCC regulations.

It wasn't the first time I had heard it on tv by anymeans.
The FCC maintains that their statement does not represent a "relaxation" of their standards, but was a consistent application of existing rules which the Golden Globes controversy merely brought to widespread public attention. Others (such as the AFA) maintain that the FCC's statement represents an increasingly permissive standard regarding broadcast media usage of words traditionally labelled as "obscenities," and that their concerns cannot be dismissed out of hand as invalid — especially since one of the benchmarks used is "contemporary community standards."

Upvote 0

Hopeful

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
✟1,199.00
Faith
Protestant
Force said:
Ok first off when has the F word NOT BEEN SEXUAL?! I love that.....You can use the F word as long as its not in a sexual meaning...did we lose the meaning of the word? Is there anyone here who can tell me what the F word means and it not be sexual? Just wondering.

Cussing is vulgar, crass, and completely unintelligent...can you not think of a better word to describe what your feeling? What are we 14? Oh its so cool to cuss. :rolleyes:
ah Bless your heart :hug:

Upvote 0