Favorite Martin Luther Quotes

doulos_tou_kuriou

Located at the intersection of Forde and Giertz
Apr 26, 2006
MinneSO-TA. That's how they say it here, right?
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What are your fav quotes from your fav Reformer-and by Favorite Reformer I mean Martin Luther, if he was not your favorite reformer he should have been so get over it and only include your favorite Martin Luther quote. ;)

alexnbethmom

Lutheran Chick
Aug 4, 2010
New Jersey
✟16,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
there's too many.....

Grant that I may not pray alone with the mouth; help me that I may pray from the depths of my heart.

Anyone who is to find Christ must first find the church. How could anyone know where Christ is and what faith is in him unless he knew where his believers are?

Beautiful music is the art of the prophets that can calm the agitations of the soul; it is one of the most magnificent and delightful presents God has given us.

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Apr 26, 2006
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We conclude therefore that a Christian lives not in himself, but in Christ and in our neighbor. Otherwise he is not a Christian. He lives in Christ through faith, in his neighbor through love. By faith he is caught up beyond himself into God. By love he descends beneath himself into his neighbor.

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Apr 26, 2006
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
my heart for very joy now leaps; my voice no longer silence keeps; I too must join the angel-throng to sing with joy his cradle song:
"Glory to God in highest heav'n, who unto us his Son is giv'n." With angels sing in pious mirth: A glad new year to all the earth!

Upvote 0

LutheranChick

Jul 12, 2007
Iowa
✟9,888.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"I cannot choose but adhere to the word of God, which has possession of my conscience; nor can I possibly, nor will I even make any recantation, since it is neither safe nor honest to act contrary to conscience! Here I stand; I cannot do otherwise, so help me God! Amen."

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Apr 26, 2006
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
"There were [in former times] fewer masses, but much strength and blessing resulted from the masses; Christians cared for one another, bore one another's burdens and affliction. This has all disappeared, and now there remain only the many masses and the many who receive this sacrament without in the least understanding what it signifies."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

doulos_tou_kuriou

Apr 26, 2006
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
But then the devil comes along and whispers into your ear, "But suppose you received the sacraments unworthily and through your unworthiness robbed yourself of such grace?" In that event cross yourself and do not let the question of your worthiness or unworthiness assail you. Just see to it that you believe that these are sure signs, true words of God, and then you will indeed be and remain worthy. Belief makes you worthy; unbelief makes you unworthy.

Upvote 0
G

goldbeach

“Christ fights with the devil in a curious way—the devil with great numbers, cleverness, and steadfastness, and Christ with few people, with weakness, simplicity, and contempt—and yet Christ wins. So he wished us to be sheep and our adversaries to be wolves.56 But what an unequal contest to fight with ten or a hundred wolves! He sent twelve disciples into the world, twelve among so many wolves. I think it’s a remarkable war and a strange fight in which the sheep are killed and the wolves stay alive. But they’ll all go to ruin as a result, because God alone performs miracles. He’ll preserve his sheep in the midst of the wolves and he’ll crush the jaws of the wolves for ever.”​
http://www.christianforums.com/t7527429-2/#_ftn256 Cf. Matt. 10:16. Luther expressed similar thoughts in a letter to Philip Melanchthon on June 18, 1540. WA, Br 9, 144–145.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7527429-2/#_ftnref2Luther, Martin: Pelikan, Jaroslav Jan (Hrsg.) ; Oswald, Hilton C. (Hrsg.) ; Lehmann, Helmut T. (Hrsg.): Luther's Works, Vol. 54 : Table Talk. Philadelphia : Fortress Press, 1999, c1967 (Luther's Works 54), S. 54:III-379

Upvote 0

lux et lex

light and law
Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh I have quite a few...and I had to look them up on thinkexist.com to remember the exact wording. And then I remembered what a huge anti-Semite Martin Luther was and I was a bit disgusted. But here they are, none-the-less.

“If you are not allowed to laugh in heaven, I don't want to go there”

“The fewer the words, the better the prayer.”

“Be thou comforted, little dog, Thou too in Resurrection shall have a little golden tail”

Upvote 0
G

goldbeach

Oh I have quite a few...and I had to look them up on thinkexist.com to remember the exact wording. And then I remembered what a huge anti-Semite Martin Luther was and I was a bit disgusted. But here they are, none-the-less.

“Be thou comforted, little dog, Thou too in Resurrection shall have a little golden tail”
Why bother then

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

doulos_tou_kuriou

Apr 26, 2006
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Luther was not an anti-semite, he was anti-Judaism, and yes there is a difference.
Not excusing some of the horrible things he suggested, but he was not an anti-semite as so many suggest these days. They even have a Martin Luther quote on the door of the Holocaust Museum, which angers me greatly at the horrible mistake.

Upvote 0
G

goldbeach

If you are a preacher of grace, then preach a true and not a fictitious grace; if grace is true, you must bear a true and not a fictitious sin. God does not save people who are only fictitious31 sinners. Be a sinner and sin32 boldly,33 but believe and34 rejoice in Christ even more boldly, for he is victorious over sin, death, and the world. As long as we are here [in this world]35 we have to sin. This life is not the dwelling place of righteousness,36 but, as Peter says,37 we look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness38 dwells. It is enough that by39 the riches of God’s glory we have come to know the Lamb that takes away the sin of the world.40 No sin will separate us from the Lamb, even though we commit fornication and murder a thousand times a day. Do you think that the purchase price that was paid for the redemption of our sins41 by so great a Lamb is too small? Pray boldly—you too are a mighty sinner.42
August 1, 1521
31 The translation here is based on the text offered by the manuscript copy of this letter; the printed editions have a text which can be translated as: “only fictitiously sinners.”

32 The manuscript copy of this letter has the following text: “et peccaris,” “and you will have sinned,” which makes little sense; therefore the translation is based on the text offered by the earliest printed edition.

33 Passages such as this were misunderstood and used as main arguments against Luther. Luther was interpreted as encouraging laxity and licentiousness. When the Peasants’ War broke out, this opinion was strengthened. Erasmus, for instance, constantly suspected that Luther was stimulating discontent and even rebellion with his ideas and work. For the proper understanding of this statement, see W. H. T. Dau, Luther Examined and Re-examined (St. Louis, Mo., 1917), pp. 111 ff. See also pp. 12 f.

34 The phrase “but believe and” is missing in the manuscript copy of this letter but is found in the earliest printed edition.

35 The word “here” is missing in the manuscript copy of this letter but is found in the earliest printed edition.

36 The manuscript copy of this letter offers instead animae, i.e., “of the soul”; the translation is based on the earliest printed edition.

37 II Pet. 3:13.

38 The manuscript copy offers instead anima, i.e., “soul”; the translation is based on the earliest printed edition.

39 The manuscript copy offers a text which has to be translated: “that we have come to know the riches of God’s glory”; the translation is based on the earliest printed edition.

40 John 1:29.

41 See I Cor. 6:20 and I Pet. 1:18–19. The printed editions of this letter offer a text which has to be translated: “think that the price and the redemption [paid and] completed for us by … is too small?” The translation is based on the manuscript copy of this letter.

42 So according to the manuscript copy of this letter. The printed editions offer a text which has to be translated: “for you are a mighty.…”

Luther, Martin: Pelikan, Jaroslav Jan (Hrsg.) ; Oswald, Hilton C. (Hrsg.) ; Lehmann, Helmut T. (Hrsg.): Luther's Works, Vol. 48 : Letters I. Philadelphia : Fortress Press, 1999, c1963 (Luther's Works 48), S. 48:IV-283

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Like it says under my name: Have faith in your sin, and faith in your Savior. Basically, it means that you had better be a sinner because Jesus only saves sinners.

Upvote 0