Fathers, you are commanded by Jehovah to...

Bob corrigan

May 3, 2022
San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
Two verses are consistently pointed out to fathers in church buildings, Pro 22:6 and Eph 6:4 (Col 3:21). These verses are treated as if they are the only two verses dealing with a father's responsibility to his children. With over 33,000 verses in Scripture, that thinking is in error. There is a lot of instruction in the O.T. that isn't found in the N.T., but that doesn't mean that it is not important today or doesn't apply today.
There are two reasons this situation exists.

1. Many of the things found in the O.T. are not taught in the N.T. because the Jewish people already knew them. You don't have to teach a student in high school the basics of math. But, because they know the basics of math, they are able to continue with learning more advanced math. When Paul addresses subjects like marriage or parenting, he is addressing Gentile's who are not familiar with the O.T. When Yeshua taught the Jews in the gospels, he was strictly teaching from the O.T., things all Jews should have known.

2. Because of the lack of study and general disdain of "pastors" towards many of the things taught in the O.T., they are either not aware or don't believe that many things taught in the O.T. should be presented in the N.T., as if it is in the O.T., it needs to be left in the O.T. Or it only "applies" to the Jewish people, in that time era and has nothing to do with today. Let me be blunt and direct! Every bit of Theology, every bit of Jehovah's commands, and every bit of instruction in the O.T., that is not specifically for the Jewish people applies to all believers today, Jew or Gentile!

The single most important duty of a godly father towards his children is to teach them Scripture! This is his job! Not his wife, not the church, not Sunday School and not V.B.S. While these others can enhance what he has taught when it comes to Theology, the core doctrines and how to live a righteous life, these belong in the realm of his responsibility!

Outside of the basic requirements of being a father, providing room and board, clothing, a safe home, protection, medical, etc., the number one duty of any father is to prepare his children for life, as a productive, independent, law-abiding citizen. In this case, included in this instruction is morals, honesty, and obeying Jehovah!

While most aren't aware, one of the themes in Scripture is teaching:

Ex 24:12 "...I will give you three tables of stone, a law and commandments which I have written, that you will teach them."

Lev 10:11 "That you will teach the children of Israel all the statutes ..."

The people are called "children" because they are to be taught new things, things they didn't know before.

Deut 4:9-10 "...but teach them to your sons and your grandchildren. Gather the people together and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all of their lives and that they may teach their children."

Deut 5:31 But you Moses, stand by me and I will tell you all of the commandments, statutes and judgments, which you will then teach them..."

Deut 6:1 "...which the LORD your God commanded to teach you..."

1Sam 12:23 "...But I will teach you the good and right way."

1Kings 8:36 "...that you (Jehovah) will teach them the good way they should walk..."

Ezra 7:10 Ezra had prepared his heart to seek the law of the LORD, to do it, and to teach Israel statutes and judgments.

Psa 34:11 "...I will teach you the fear of the LORD."

Psa 119:12 Blessed are you, LORD. Teach me your statutes.

Psa Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. Your spirit is good. Lead me into the land of righteousness.

If you notice, all of the teaching is directed at what Jehovah had put forth, His commands, judgments, statutes, laws, and fear of Him. The laws and commands of Jehovah are not some unbearable, undoable strict code. (Mat 11:28-30) The Jewish people also refer to them as "His instructions, teachings." Rather than a harsh "do this and don't do that," Jehovah's commands are a guide to obeying Him and living a righteous life! Everything that is not restricted to the Jewish people only, tithes, animal sacrifice, offerings, festivals and feasts, etc., apply to Gentile believers today. Scripture is one continuous story, not "two" seperate books!

Many have heard it said that the "chief end of men is to glorify/worship God and enjoy Him forever." That sounds very nice and all, but that is not from Scripture. The "chief end of man (belivers) is the resurrection." Scripture is very clear what the duty of believers is:

Deut 10:12-13 And now Israel, (the kingdom of God is spiritual Israel with Jewish and Gentile sheep) what does Jehovah require of you, but to fear God. to walk in His ways. To love and serve Him with all of your being. To keep the commandments and statutes, which I commanded this day...

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Micah He has shown you, O man, what is good what does He require of you, but to do justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

How many things do children have to be taught? Tie their shoelaces, ride a bike, be potty trained, etc. Why do they have to be taught? Because these are things they didn't know before. Children have to be taught the things of God. Where do we learn the things of God? Everything about Jehovah and His instruction starts in the O.T. Who is best equipped to teach children? Dad is! All of the people that were instructed to teach others were expected to do the teaching themselves, not pawn it off to somebody else.

Deut 6:7 And you will teach them diligently unto your children. You will talk to them when you sit down in your house (relaxing) You will teach them as you walk. You will talk to them before they go to sleep and in the morning.

This isn't instructing non-stop teaching, but rather when the opportunities present themselves. You will have more time with your kids than anybody else and perfect times to teach things about Scripture, using real-life examples, that nobody else will ever have. Most important, you will know that they are being taught the truth. As your child matures, you will have the opportunity to go deeper about the things of God, far beyond just "Bible Stories" and the fluff usually taught in Sunday School. You will be able to give them excellent answers to excellent questions.

While you might be hesitant to begin to Study Scripture by yourself, you will soon discover that the more you learn will only keep the fire burning to learn more. On top of teaching your children, as head of the house, you will also be able to teach your wife—or other family, friends, and neighbors. You are the High Priest in your house!

Mal 2:7 For the priest's lips should keep knowledge, and people should seek instruction from him as he is the messenger of the LORD.

Being a messenger of Jehovah is not a calling, or something you need to be ordained by others or have to get a degree! It just requires learning enough Scripture so you can teach others. Anybody with the will and desire can learn much Scripture.