Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Did anyone in the old Testament ever address God as 'Father'? It really was that only after Jesus taught that we could, were all able to address God as Father, even Abba as in Aramaic?

Last edited:

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This may sound a silly question but I would like to clarify it.
Did anyone in the old Testament ever address God as 'Father'? It really was that only after Jesus taught that we could, were all able to address God as Father, even Abba as in Aramaic?
If so, what a seismic shift. I am even more amazed at the great gift. It is not deserved surely by a single human being, we are just so flawed, even the best of us.

Yes. Good question.

Deuteronomy 32:6
Do you thus repay the Lord, you foolish and senseless people? Is not he your father, who created you, who made you and established you?

Psalm 103:13
As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.

Isaiah 63:16
For you are our Father, though Abraham does not know us, and Israel does not acknowledge us; you, O Lord, are our Father, our Redeemer from of old is your name.

Jeremiah 31:9
With weeping they shall come, and with pleas for mercy I will lead them back, I will make them walk by brooks of water, in a straight path in which they shall not stumble, for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.

What Does the Bible Say About Father?

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes. Good question.

Deuteronomy 32:6
Do you thus repay the Lord, you foolish and senseless people? Is not he your father, who created you, who made you and established you?

Psalm 103:13
As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.

Isaiah 63:16
For you are our Father, though Abraham does not know us, and Israel does not acknowledge us; you, O Lord, are our Father, our Redeemer from of old is your name.

Jeremiah 31:9
With weeping they shall come, and with pleas for mercy I will lead them back, I will make them walk by brooks of water, in a straight path in which they shall not stumble, for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn.

What Does the Bible Say About Father?

That is very interesting. Yet in any prayer did anyone in the old testament actually address God as Father? I wonder.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: PrincetonGuy
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That is very interesting. Yet in any prayer did anyone in the old testament actually address God as Father? I wonder.
The answer to your question is apparently "No."

He's described as a father, of course, but not addressed as Father.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

No prayers of Jesus to His Father are found in the Old Testament.
Regular people said "Lord" or "Lord God".

Upvote 0