Fasting Question...

Servant991

Warrior of Christ
Apr 7, 2004
Westminster, Colorado
✟314.00
Faith
Christian
I don't know if most would technically consider this to be fasting (so mods, please move this post if it is in the wrong spot), but I just wanted to start a discussion about this idea... I know that fasting is denying oneself of food, however what I am thinking about is denying myself of distracting everyday items, such as the T.V., X-Box, computer, etc, and try to focus entirely on God. I basically want to try to simplify my life down to little more than the basic necessities, and see what God has to show me. Have any of you ever done/considered this? If so, what were your experiences?

Momzilla

Gettin' that old time religion!
Feb 12, 2004
Greenville, SC
✟16,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would certainly consider that a fast of sorts. I also think it's a good idea to cut out the miscellaneous "noise" in your life that distracts you from God. One bit of advice, though. Don't just turn of the T.V. and sit there waiting for God to talk to you. Pray, read the bible, study Christianity, etc. Don't just empty your life of the bad stuff--fill it with the good stuff.

Upvote 0

C.A.B.L

Apr 5, 2004
Houston, Texas
✟663.00
Faith
Christian
Servant991,

I think that is an excellent idea and I have actually considered giving up the TV for a week and declare that time to the Lord. I know that I spend at least a good 4 hours watching TV a day. That's alot of time that I could use studying the word or reading books. I think God would definitely reward you for anything that you sacrifice for His sake. I think the words "Whoever loses his life for My sake, will find it" can mean that if you leave the life that you want to live, for His sake, you will find true life. The life that God wants you to live is ALWAYS the true life. And better yet, when you decide to take off the TV completely, unplug it and put it in your closet. I have found that the time it takes to plug everything back in is so unworth the effort that it dulls the desire to break my commitment and watch TV. May God bless you in your walk, and daily reveal to you mysteries that you mind never thought possible.

Love you all in Christ,
Matt

Upvote 0

changedforlife31

satan won't outsmart us!
Jun 18, 2004
Tennessee
✟7,659.00
Faith
Non-Denom
For anyone interested in a fast of this sort, like a "media fast". Look into a book, it's called, "The Hardest 30 Days of Your Life," by Justin Lookadoo. It is for high school aged students and it is a real challenege to get them away from the outside temptations and distractions that we come under everyday, and just never realize. I recommend doing it in a group of some sort that had support. Out students did it and came out as different people!

Upvote 0

ccunning001

Pastor - Central Missouri
Dec 9, 2003
Independence, Mo
✟7,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have done a fast where we cut all forms of media out of our life for 30 days. (Music, video games, computers, tv, and the sort.) After the 30 days it was amazing the way that all that stuff looked. It's hold and power on my life were gone and it became apparent what they were, Noise and meaningless.

Upvote 0

New Creation

*Practise Promiscuous Charity*
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟5,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
ccunning001 said:
I have done a fast where we cut all forms of media out of our life for 30 days. (Music, video games, computers, tv, and the sort.) After the 30 days it was amazing the way that all that stuff looked. It's hold and power on my life were gone and it became apparent what they were, Noise and meaningless.
This sounds really exciting!!!

Upvote 0
Yes, I've done a tv fast before. It's amazing how much time you can waste in front of the tv. Momzilla is right though, if you're going to fast from something, make it a sacrifice for God and seek His heart and desires for you. When you make it about God, it's amazing the blessings you receive. :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
When Orthodox Christians have their fasting periods, they are supposed to do their best to fast from television and other forms of entertainment. They are to spend the time that is freed up to do serve others, pray, and do spiritual reading. This is especially true during Great Lent. It is a time for examining yourself and for repentance (sp?). This prepares us for Holy Week and Pascha (what Orthodox call Easter). Of course, all the fasting periods are for this, but Great Lent especially. Going without dairy for 47 days and meat for 54 days is tough--I have an easier time doing without the meat than I do the dairy, but the Holy Week and Pascha services make it worth every bit of the hardship. Not to mention the feast we have afterwards at 2:30 a.m. We feast til 4:30 or 5 and then have to be back at 1 for Agape Vespers. I'm usually dead after those services, but it is my favorite time of the year.

Upvote 0

nb_christseeker

Jul 3, 2004
✟1,362.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
some people think the media is analgous to the false prophet in revelation. it fits the bill in some areas, but i don't know... either way, if the media is similar to the false prophet, it would not be a bad idea to "fast" from it or cut it out altogether. its mostly trash on tv anyway, and you could spend that time living your "real" life... whatever that is =)

love in Christ,
neil

Upvote 0