Fasting, Penance or love of neighbor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7angel

Sep 5, 2006
✟9,003.00
Faith
Christian
I say this because this Holy week the Christian believers assumptions especially Catholics don't eat meat and are inclined by fish, unfortunately for them meat fish rise price considerably, then come complaints, thus the stupidity of the alleged believers shown.

Jesus says: "I do not want sacrifices, I want love"- but religions and the people who say believe in Jesus not do what Jesus said, why not eat meat? would you like make your own funeral to yourself still you alive?. we said that Jesus is live, but insist guided by blind and what these blind says and leave aside what God says.
When we leave to do what god asked us, we are defenceless like as front of a herd of hungry wolves, not do what Jesus says is deny God, and then regret when something bad happens we.

LOVE TO GOD IS NOT STOP EATING MEAT BY ANOTHER MENU OR DO PENANCE, BUT LOVE TO THE NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF, SO THIS WRITING.

what hypocrisy, huh?

D

dies-l

Fasting (and other sacrificial gestures) are, for many, a great way to deepen one's relationship with and reliance upon God. Jesus did it, and in his teachings, he assumed that his followers would do it. I am hesitant to look down upon believers who choose a partial fast, such as abstaining from meat, because for many such people, the fast is an act of love for God and stems from a desire to seek His holiness.

Reactions: e. barrett
Upvote 0

7angel

Sep 5, 2006
✟9,003.00
Faith
Christian
Isaiah
Chapter 58

1 Cry out full-throated and unsparingly, lift up your voice like a trumpet blast; Tell my people their wickedness, and the house of Jacob their sins. 2 2 They seek me day after day, and desire to know my ways, Like a nation that has done what is just and not abandoned the law of their God; They ask me to declare what is due them, pleased to gain access to God. 3 "Why do we fast, and you do not see it? afflict ourselves, and you take no note of it?" Lo, on your fast day you carry out your own pursuits, and drive all your laborers. 4 Yes, your fast ends in quarreling and fighting, striking with wicked claw. Would that today you might fast so as to make your voice heard on high! 5 Is this the manner of fasting I wish, of keeping a day of penance: That a man bow his head like a reed, and lie in sackcloth and ashes? Do you call this a fast, a day acceptable to the LORD? 6 This, rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly, untying the thongs of the yoke; Setting free the oppressed, breaking every yoke; 7 Sharing your bread with the hungry, sheltering the oppressed and the homeless; Clothing the naked when you see them, and not turning your back on your own. 8 Then your light shall break forth like the dawn, and your wound shall quickly be healed; Your vindication shall go before you, and the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard. 9 Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer, you shall cry for help, and he will say: Here I am! If you remove from your midst oppression, false accusation and malicious speech; 10 If you bestow your bread on the hungry and satisfy the afflicted; Then light shall rise for you in the darkness, and the gloom shall become for you like midday; 11 Then the LORD will guide you always and give you plenty even on the parched land. He will renew your strength, and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring whose water never fails. 12 The ancient ruins shall be rebuilt for your sake, and the foundations from ages past you shall raise up; "Repairer of the breach," they shall call you, "Restorer of ruined homesteads." 13 If you hold back your foot on the sabbath from following your own pursuits on my holy day; If you call the sabbath a delight, and the LORD'S holy day honorable; If you honor it by not following your ways, seeking your own interests, or speaking with malice-- 14 Then you shall delight in the LORD, and I will make you ride on the heights of the earth; I will nourish you with the heritage of Jacob, your father, for the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

Upvote 0

e. barrett

May 20, 2008
Visit site
✟15,324.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think we all fall short before God. And we all display hypocrisy towards him. But there's nothing wrong with fasting. In fact, I agree with Dies3l. Fasting can be a great way to build into your relationship with God.

Now if you're complaining because your fasting is causing an inconvenience you may be missing the point. But I think someone who falls short of their goal, pleases God much more than the person who never tried.

Upvote 0

7angel

Sep 5, 2006
✟9,003.00
Faith
Christian
I care what God says in Isaiah 58
5 Is this the manner of fasting I wish, of keeping a day of penance:
That a man bow his head like a reed, and lie in sackcloth and ashes? Do you call this a fast, a day acceptable to the LORD? 6 This, rather, is the fasting that I wish: releasing those bound unjustly, untying the thongs of the yoke; Setting free the oppressed, breaking every yoke; 7 Sharing your bread with the hungry.

I submit that Jesus also said, "God wants to be worshiped in Spirit and in truth" - and love God and neighbor is worth more than all sacrifices.
You are free to do as you want

Upvote 0

7angel

Sep 5, 2006
✟9,003.00
Faith
Christian
Are you suggesting that fasting is inconsistent with this objective? If so, how?
"And the Lord's servant must not quarrel, instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." 2 Timothy 2:24 (NIV)
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being Polluted by the world." James 1:27 (NIV)

This is real sacrifice for love, by choice, the traditional fasting or penance is required, it does not help one's neighbor

"For Jesus, the question was not, how do I get into heaven? But how do I bring heaven here?" - Rob Bell.

Not find meaning, this world is hell, heaven and hell like water and oil.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or Mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelation 21:4 (NIV)

Just, because the heaven is not the world.
Love one another is God's will, how to enter the Kingdom of Heaven​

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Are you suggesting that fasting is inconsistent with this objective? If so, how?
"And the Lord's servant must not quarrel, instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." 2 Timothy 2:24 (NIV)
"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being Polluted by the world." James 1:27 (NIV)

This is real sacrifice for love, by choice, the traditional fasting or penance is required, it does not help one's neighbor

"For Jesus, the question was not, how do I get into heaven? But how do I bring heaven here?" - Rob Bell.

Not find meaning, this world is hell, heaven and hell like water and oil.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or Mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Revelation 21:4 (NIV)

Just, because the heaven is not the world.
Love one another is God's will, how to enter the Kingdom of Heaven

I am having a very difficult time understanding what you are trying to say, but I sense that it is along the lines of "we are called to love our neighbor, and fasting does not help our neighbor, so is, therefore, a waste of time." If this is what you are saying I disagree. We are called to love God and to love our neighbor. Fasting, if done in the right spirit, can deeped one's relationship with God and can be a supreme act of love for Him. Likewise, fasting helps one to build awareness of and empathy for the suffering of one's neighbor. As such, it can be an act of love for one's neighbor.

As for the world being hell, I have not seen that view in Scripture. It is, however, clearly stated in Scripture, that God intends to restore the world to the state of perfection, which he intended for it in the beginning (bringing heaven to Earth) and that we as His Church have a role in this process.

Upvote 0

7angel

Sep 5, 2006
✟9,003.00
Faith
Christian
I am having a very difficult time understanding what you are trying to say, but I sense that it is along the lines of "we are called to love our neighbor, and fasting does not help our neighbor, so is, therefore, a waste of time." If this is what you are saying I disagree. We are called to love God and to love our neighbor. Fasting, if done in the right spirit, can deeped one's relationship with God and can be a supreme act of love for Him. Likewise, fasting helps one to build awareness of and empathy for the suffering of one's neighbor. As such, it can be an act of love for one's neighbor.

As for the world being hell, I have not seen that view in Scripture. It is, however, clearly stated in Scripture, that God intends to restore the world to the state of perfection, which he intended for it in the beginning (bringing heaven to Earth) and that we as His Church have a role in this process.

Matthew 22
29 Jesus said to them in reply, "You are misled because you do not know the scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage but are like the angels in heaven. 37 He said to him, "You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. 38 This is the greatest and the first commandment. 39 The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 40 The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."
Matthew 24

11 Many false prophets will arise and deceive many; 12 and because of the increase of evildoing, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who perseveres to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the world as a witness to all nations, and then the end will come. the world will end, because it can not be perfect, it is futile to try

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.