Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure whether I should be excited or just cautiously optimistic for this movie.

Cast is much different than I expected, but I could se them working out OK. Invisible Woman/Sue Storm will be played by House of Cards actress Kate Mara. Chronicle actor Michael B. Jordan is Johnny Storm/The Human Torch. The kid who couldn't stop dancing in Billy Elliot, Jamie Bell, is Ben Grimm/The Thing, and Whiplash actor Miles Teller is Reed Richards a.k.a. Mr. Fantastic.

Fox doesn't have a great track record for their treatment of Marvel characters , but the director seems to want to do a good job on this. Guess we will need to wait until it develops more and we see some of the production stills and info.

random person

1 COR. 10:11; HEB. 1:2; HEB. 9:26,28; 1 PET. 1:20
Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟21,587.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I am not putting my good dollar into another butchering of the FF.

Look at what the original franchise did to one of my all time favorite Marvel villains, Doctor Victor von Doom.

dr_doom.jpg

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I will not support this movie because they made the Torch a black guy. I have nothing against black men of course. But I feel like its messing with the history of the comic. It would be like making a black guy white. Or an asian guy german. In comics people need to stay the same. UNless of course they are calling this an alternate universe Fantastic Four. Then I'd understand.

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟21,587.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I will not support this movie because they made the Torch a black guy. I have nothing against black men of course. But I feel like its messing with the history of the comic. It would be like making a black guy white. Or an asian guy german. In comics people need to stay the same. UNless of course they are calling this an alternate universe Fantastic Four. Then I'd understand.

I don't get it either...

Kingpin
Nick Fury
Heimdall
Electro
Human Torch

Heimdall was an absolute travesty being he is based on Viking mythology.

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
I think a reboot is the way to go. I'm still trying to forget the last one! Please do something else I say.
:)

I agree with making the Torch black. Are we going to make Black Panther white? No, we're not. I'm kinda hypocritical on this since I love a black Nick Fury. Or maybe it's just that I love Samuel L. Jackson.
;)

Upvote 0

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Changing the race of one of the primary characters is more significant than a supporting character, which not everyone is familiar with. Because of the closeness in time from the previous film, it raises questions about the change for the general audience. Still, this is fiction and I don't have a problem with changing details or actors to suit the role.
Rumors are that the primary villian will be Annihilus, which is a different spin and possibly darker storyline than previously done. Fox has a bad habit of mucking up the characters and stories of the superheroes they put on film, so while I hope for the best, history points toward the worst.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There was a fuss about having Idris Elba play a character in Thor. I don't see the problem. None of the actors can possibly resemble every single physical characteristic of a comic book character and, geez, all white movies are boring. Besides that, in any of the comics, would anyone think that Thor has a dumb voice, because I can't get over Chris Hemsworth's annoying, irritating voice. He may have the body and face but every time he opens his mouth, I cringe.

Upvote 0

Bananagator

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Nov 20, 2013
✟14,432.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah I really have no interest in this movie.

As far as making Johnny black goes, I really don't know. Everyone's so quick to scream 'RACIST" when someone objects to it but, for real, that doesn't mean that someone's a racist.

Johnny Storm's a character that's been around for 50 years and has been a blonde-haired, young, white guy the entire time. Of course people are going to object to an actor that looks nothing like the character in the comics being cast.

And people keep bringing up things like "Well, remember Prince of Persia??? Or the Last Airbender?? Or Dragon Ball Evolution??? They changed those characters to white!!" - Yeah, they did. And you know what happened? People of all races freaked the heck out about it.

I'm honestly more upset that they're going to have to introduce an awkward "One of us is adopted" or "we're step-siblings" thing into it to explain why Sue and Johnny are different races.

But yeah, I actually just have a problem with this casting as a whole.
Miles Teller looks to be the youngest out of all of them. I don't care if this is based off of the Ultimates, Reed being the youngest just doesn't sit well with me.
Michael B. Jordan was cast because he's BFFs with the director. They worked on Chronicle together and he was the ONLY person screen tested for Johnny. So I think that's kind of annoying. Plus, I hated Chronicle.
I really don't know anything about Kate Mara except that she was in Iron Man 2 for like 4 seconds (lol).
Jamie Bell just seems like a weird choice for Ben Grimm. I'm not super into The Fantastic Four but I never imagined the Thing as being a hottie.

To summarize, I'll most likely be skipping this one. Lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
There was a fuss about having Idris Elba play a character in Thor. I don't see the problem. None of the actors can possibly resemble every single physical characteristic of a comic book character and, geez, all white movies are boring. Besides that, in any of the comics, would anyone think that Thor has a dumb voice, because I can't get over Chris Hemsworth's annoying, irritating voice. He may have the body and face but every time he opens his mouth, I cringe.
Idris Elba played Heimdall, a supporting character with limited lines and screen time. Johnny Storm is a leading character, well established in the way he looks and acts, so it is a major departure to change his race.

As far as the way Thor/Hemsworth speaks - I think it is fairly spot on from the comics. Here is an example:
Thortalk.jpg

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟21,587.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

Unless one is a huge fan of the comic book or Norse mythology. Here is the comic representation:

Heimdall.jpg

In Norse mythology, Heimdallr is a god who possesses the resounding horn Gjallarhorn, owns the golden-maned horse Gulltoppr, has gold teeth, and is the son of Nine Mothers. Heimdallr is attested as possessing foreknowledge, keen eyesight and hearing, is described as "the whitest of the gods", and keeps watch for the onset of Ragnarök while drinking fine mead in his dwelling Himinbjörg, located where the burning rainbow bridge Bifröst meets heaven. Heimdallr is said to be the originator of social classes among humanity and once regained Freyja's treasured possession Brísingamen while doing battle in the shape of a seal with Loki. Heimdallr and Loki are foretold to kill one another during the events of Ragnarök. Heimdallr is additionally referred to as Hallinskiði, Gullintanni, and Vindlér or Vindhlér.

Heimdallr is attested in the Poetic Edda, compiled in the 13th century from earlier traditional material; in the Prose Edda and Heimskringla, both written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson; in the poetry of skalds; and on an Old Norse runic inscription found in England. Two lines of an otherwise lost poem about the god, Heimdalargaldr, survive. Due to the problematic and enigmatic nature of these attestations, scholars have produced various theories about the nature of the god, including his apparent relation to rams, that he may be a personification of or connected to the world tree Yggdrasil, and potential Indo-European cognates.

Heimdallr - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From reading about this I get the impression those involved are trying to destroy the franchise once and for all. I mean seriously...

rs_1024x759-140220051523-1024-Michael-B-Jordan-Kate-Mara-Miles-Teller-Jamie-Bell-JR1-22014.jpg

These guys are going to play the Fantastic Four? They look better suited for a Pee Wee Herman skit. Mara's acting talents are only suitable for creating an invisible audience, not to mention she looks like a spoiled rotten idiot valley girl. And I agree on the torch casting decision. Terrible idea but one grounded in PC so what can you expect.

I grew up reading Marvel comics to include the Fantastic Four. One aspect of the first FF films I truly appreciated was the casting. Jessica Alba was Sue Storm:

JessicaAlbaSueStorm.jpg

I don't have high hopes for this reboot. Given the press to date it appears they are intent on destroying themselves before they even get into production. The cast selection supports that conclusion. I hear Mara's character on House of Cards was killed off and replaced with a lamp post.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bananagator

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Nov 20, 2013
✟14,432.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Rumours are out that Fox has dumped the director and cast and threw out the script.
UPDATE #2: Fox Reportedly Dumps FANTASTIC FOUR Director, Writer And Cast

Oh wow, that's new. It really wouldn't surprise me; this movie's been in pre-production forever and everything they've released about it so far has been awful. People are angry about this movie and the studio has to be taking note of that.

I can't see them letting the rights revert back to Marvel though. IF these rumors are true, they're just going to throw something together at the last minute. I mean, look at the 1994 movie. They made that so they could keep the rights and they didn't even release it lol. As long as they make it, the rights are theirs. And now that they see how successful Marvel's been with their movies, they certainly aren't going to let such a huge property go.

Or this could really just be a rumor, this movie will get made, it won't do well, and The Fantastic Four will never get another chance.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally I think they should let the rights revert back to Marvel and be done with it. But considering that probably won't happen dumping this bunch and re-casting with a new director can't hurt.

Upvote 0

random person

Dec 10, 2013
Riverside California
✟21,587.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Woohoo. Glad they are dumping the team and starting new.

Ditto. And want to see Doctor Doom retconned back into his comic book personage.

Pure ebil, not that enemic wussy creep in the original two movies with that sorry cosmic ray origin story.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I will not support this movie because they made the Torch a black guy.
Gee what a surprise :gag:

That pretty much ensured I won't watch it either. I'm sick TO DEATH of this politically correct/kiss-the-black people's-behind BS the white liberal guilt people are obsessed with (Hollywood being its HQ). Nobody in the FF is black. Get over it. That's even worse than when they made Nick Fury and Green Lantern black.

Hey how about a Nick Cage movie and he's white? Can you imagine the howls from blacks?

And really beyond all that, why a reboot? There are about a zillion good stories with the FF that were already told in the comics that could/should be told with a movie; why not keep going?

And IMO the original cast was just fine; they just needed a slightly better script.

Upvote 0