Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I believe that striving to keep the commandments is what God wants and expects us to do. Did the young man live the commandments perfectly? As you said there was more he could do to live them perfectly.

He had kept them, or Jesus would not have said "One thing thou lackest:" and that was to sell everything he had and follow him. Give everything away is not one of God's commandments. What the young man lacked was the love of God in him above everything else.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I know what the Bible states, and I believe what it states about who knows God and who doesn't know Him. I love people enough to lead them on the right path to heaven. That path is to love Christ by keeping the commandments:
(New Testament | John 14:15)

15 ¶ If ye love me, keep my commandments.

You can't know the true God when you believe He is some sort of glorified man who simply does a few tricks. Our God is the One and Only true God that always existed as God and created from nothing and there is nothing He can't do--except go against His loving character. Our God has His One and Only Son that also always existed with Him and the Holy Spirit---all are one. You have endless gods all over the universe with their own little worlds---our God created all those worlds from nothing. No--you do not know the real God!! You commandment keeping has landed you just in the same place the rich young man did, nowhere--you put JS teachings above the bible which means---JS and his version of God is your God. He is puny and ineffectual and can't even produce children like himself and can't create from nothing. He is a glorified man whom you think you also can become as he is. No!

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
He had kept them, or Jesus would not have said "One thing thou lackest:" and that was to sell everything he had and follow him. Give everything away is not one of God's commandments. What the young man lacked was the love of God in him above everything else.
It is obvious that he did not keep the command perfectly. He did not love his neighbor perfectly. He was still attached to the things of the world.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
You can't know the true God when you believe He is some sort of glorified man who simply does a few tricks. Our God is the One and Only true God that always existed as God and created from nothing and there is nothing He can't do--except go against His loving character. Our God has His One and Only Son that also always existed with Him and the Holy Spirit---all are one. You have endless gods all over the universe with their own little worlds---our God created all those worlds from nothing. No--you do not know the real God!! You commandment keeping has landed you just in the same place the rich young man did, nowhere--you put JS teachings above the bible which means---JS and his version of God is your God. He is puny and ineffectual and can't even produce children like himself and can't create from nothing. He is a glorified man whom you think you also can become as he is. No!
The Bible tells us who God is, God is LOVE. The commandments are also LOVE. People who don't keep the commandments are not LOVING people:
(New Testament | 1 John 2:4)

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Upvote 0