Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes John was told about how he was to recognise Messiah as unlike all others the Spirit would come upon and remain on Him. This was the first baptism in the Spirit. This he witnessed.
It seems John was having a crisis of faith having seen this yet struggling to make sense of what was going on sought out further confirmation.
Jesus responded by testifying to the signs of the Kingdom which John was sent to announce.
These signs should accompany believers even today if Jesus is reigning in their lives.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I have a question regarding Luke 7:19 where John sends a message through his disciples asking if Jesus is who was expected to come as the Messiah.Does that tell something about Johns Faith or how do we interpret the verse?
John was expecting the Messiah to come in power and authority, kick the Romans out, and establish the kingdom of David. That was the popular Jewish view of the Messiah. Because Jesus was very different, John had doubts and needed confirmation that Jesus was actually the Messiah who was to come according to the Scriptures. His response to John was the same as what He said to His disciples in the upper room on the night of His arrest: "If you cannot believe My Words, believe Me for My works sake". Jesus held up His miracles as the sign to John that He was the expected Messiah. This confirmed the prophecy that came to him, which caused him to announce: "Behold the Lamb of God who will take away the sin of the world".

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a question regarding Luke 7:19 where John sends a message through his disciples asking if Jesus is who was expected to come as the Messiah.Does that tell something about Johns Faith or how do we interpret the verse?
Remember John had already acknowledge Jesus as the Messiah at Jesus' baptism. Remember also that John was in prison and about to be beheaded. His comments were likely a consequence of despair and doubt about his eternal disposition, not specifically about Jesus. Remember too that doubt is a normal part of our faith. Because we are saved by faith doubt will always be a concern, especially among the less mature.

Upvote 0