Texas
✟3,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I keep hearing folks say "...and God gives us our faith..." or something to that effect. Could y'all give me some references for this idea? I am aware of the disputed passage in Eph 2, but what others would you use to support this idea? I'm really just looking for the passages, I don't actually want a logical treatise on the idea itself. I'd like to do the study personally.

hopper

Aug 24, 2004
✟20,319.00
Faith
Christian
Well, LOL:D ; as you can see (after a couple of days of waiting), it’s quite a challenge for a Calvinist to give some Scripture references without saying more. We often follow Catholic tradition in getting a little nervous at having folk try to decide for themselves – too much latitude for us who claim to be ruled by our natures.

How about I start with a list and then you can just ignore the rest if you like. It would serve me right. (Though the list may seem a bit odd from the start) :sorry: :

Luke 17:5; 22:32; Acts 18:27; Romans 3: 27,28, Romans 4; Rom. 11:5,6; 12:3,6; 15:10; Galatians 3; Eph. 3:14-21; Phil. 3:8-11; Col. 2:13-15; Hebrews 11; Heb. 12:2.

In giving preeminence to the sovereign will of God over that of His creature, Calvinist’s tend to think in terms of all things deriving from God. Non-Calvinists may do this as well, but it is a common element of our vernacular and emphasis on God’s supremacy and providence.

Specific to saving faith, we believe it originates and is completed as a work of God. And yet faith is not static. We have a part in its increase or decrease, its growing weaker or stronger; but essentially it is still from God and all of His grace.

Certainly we are creatures with a will of our own, and Scripture even speaks of our “work of faith” and “obedience of faith”. Yet the causal power we exert is secondary to God’s sovereign providence, and it is His grace which initiates our trust. R. C. Sproul writes, “He works out His will through the actions of human wills, without violating the freedom of those human wills.”

I guess what I’m trying to differentiate pertaining to “God-given faith” is whether such faith is ‘work’ or not. Arminians tend to say, “No – ‘work’ is planting a row of corn – receiving a gift is not work, but it’s still necessary on our part if we’re to be saved.” Calvinists tend to say, “Yes – it is a work of the mind and heart, both of which must be regenerated by God in order to accept anything, and so it is all of God (as far as the ‘work’ of salvation is concerned).”

Both are saying there’s a degree of cooperation going on. Not with exclusivity, but Calvinists emphasize the omnipotence and sovereignty of God, while Arminians emphasize the responsibility and ability of man.

Upvote 0

Lockheed

Mar 2, 2005
✟816.00
Faith
Calvinist
Eph 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

Corinthians 12:9
to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit

Philippians 1:29
For to you it has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake,

2 Pet 1:1
Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ:

Upvote 0

2Timothy2

Rangers Lead the Way
Aug 20, 2004
Texas
✟3,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thaks for the input so far. I'm already seeing problems with the hermeneutic used for some of these, but I'll have to get into that in another place.

Hopper, sorry, but I did pretty much ignore what you posted after the references. I've heard, time and again, the "logical" arguments, but rarely, if ever, Scriptural reasoning for this idea. That is why I said what I said (asked what I asked) in the OP, so I can examine y'all's claims from Scripture with Scripture. No offense. :)

Upvote 0