Visit site
✟435,770.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hey, GB - have you read GK Chesterton's "The Everlasting Man"? It's the book that caused CS Lewis to abandon atheism. For me a startling thing about it was that GKC took history that I had been taught in school (esp. regarding the Punic Wars and the Roman Empire) and basically just connected the dots of obvious conclusions that it seems the typical history books carefully avoid. Facts of history are one thing, interpretations are another, and usually it is the historians that get in the way. For me (personally) the part about Carthage was just a mind-blower. It is so obvious, and yet no one ever sees why on earth these two nations fought to the death, when the typical practice was to conquer and enslave. The impressions I had gotten from middle school were that it was economic competition. Psh'aw - right! (sarcastic note)

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,770.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Alright Rus, I'm blind. please fill me in on the cause.
Really, Hoankan, you should read the book. But if you insist, I'll narrow it down to one chapter: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~mward/gkc/books/everlasting_man.html#chap-I-vii
You need to slog through 5 or 6 paragraphs of prep work before you get to the good stuff (imo).
The basic effect is that you HAVE been taught the facts, all right. It was just the interpretation you were given (if at all) that is highly lacking. Again, you could always see the dots. Now you can see that they really DO form a picture that ultimately points to Christ.

The best results are guaranteed by reading the whole thing.:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.