Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
About a year ago I read an article which told of a new bishop who was implementing a 'faith assessment' within his entire diocese that folks had to complete in order to work or volunteer in the chancery or churches.
I sent the article to my pastor who felt it was a great idea and that we should have one for our parish. We never did create it, so i'm going to put one together now and send it over to him as a suggestion.

My question is, what sort of things should be on it?

Things such as -
  • Are you in communion with the holy see?
  • Are you currently under any canonical suspension or excommunication?
  • If you are married, is your marriage recognized by the catholic church?
  • If you have children, are you raising your children in catholic church?
  • Do you financially support your parish to the best of your ability?
  • Have you received the sacraments of initiation? (baptism, holy communion, confirmation)
  • Do you receive sacramental communion at least once a year?
  • Do you receive sacramental confession at least once a year?
and so on...

Also, any other thoughts you have would be useful, thanks :)

R

RoseofLima

I would take out financially support- and just have 'support' - maybe with the ol' 'time, talent, and treasure' kind of thing. It is a question which I am personally very sensitive to, because I often can;t give money- but I certainly give 10% of my time offering my talents for the parish. When I can give money I do...

I dunno- it's just something I am sensitive about :blush:

Might want a question in there about contraception and/or abortion....

Reactions: NiteClerk
Upvote 0

Cosmic Charlie

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated
Oct 14, 2003
✟67,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Geo:

Not quite clear - you're trying to keep people from volunteering in your parish ?

What difference does it make if somene whats to volunteer to work with the homeless program in your parish if they haven't been of confession in 3 years ?

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And perhaps there is a fine line. If someone is teaching a Catechism class, yes they should be in good standing with the Church. But feeding the homeless? It might be a ministry to everyone to let those in not-so-good standing or who aren't completely catechized work alongside the Catholics in good standing.

This is a great idea for certain ministries, but it would be counterproductive for others.

Reactions: QuantaCura
Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Geo:

Not quite clear - you're trying to keep people from volunteering in your parish ?

What difference does it make if somene whats to volunteer to work with the homeless program in your parish if they haven't been of confession in 3 years ?
great example Charlie - I should have brought that point up myself as I had talked to another person about that very thing. I used the example of someone volunteering to cook in the parish school however ;)

The form is to be reviewed by the pastor who makes the pastoral determination of their fit for the position. No one would be automatically disqualified.

Upvote 0

NiteClerk

Site Supporter
Nov 30, 2005
there
✟49,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This might work in a parish overrun by volunteers. But in mine it's the same faces again and again. So I agree with the comments that while it might be good for something like a Catechism class, it would only decrease volunteers for the day to day activities of a parish. And most of the time we don't need someone with special skills. It's just warm bodies to help with the work and clean up that's needed.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Things such as -
  • Are you in communion with the holy see?
  • Are you currently under any canonical suspension or excommunication?
This assumes that "John Q. Public" already knows (and sometimes, particularly in the more "liberal" parishes, it isn't known.) You might want to include ways in which someone is in communion with the holy see and ways in which someone could be "automatically excommunicated".

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
And perhaps there is a fine line. If someone is teaching a Catechism class, yes they should be in good standing with the Church. But feeding the homeless? It might be a ministry to everyone to let those in not-so-good standing or who aren't completely catechized work alongside the Catholics in good standing.

This is a great idea for certain ministries, but it would be counterproductive for others.

I agree--teaching Catechism, RCIA, etc. should be qualified, but many people who may be a bit lukewarm often get heated up when they start putting their faith in action. I think we would want to encourage people, no matter their current state, to get involved! :)

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

The other forseeable road block- is that a pastor most likely will not have the time to interview every volunteer. And it can be difficult when people are coming back to the Chruch after having been away- often there is a lot of enthusiamsm and a desire to be involved, and it would be horrible to curb that, because they were only at the beginnings of their growth in their understanding and living out the Faith.

There has got to be some kind of middle ground- I just don't know what it is.

I personally wish that everyone in a teaching role would have to be certified by the diocese before they could walk in front of a class--so they at least know some basics-like how to use the CCC to look things up. Each parish could have someone qualified to teach the certification class. (Thisis one of the things I do right now -- but it is optional, not mandatory and the current DRE doesn't really make a push for it)

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If Jesus were the bishop, or the pastor of your parish....

that same Jesus who hung out with tax collectors and Samaritan women and prostitutes and beggars....

He would issue this questionnaire--written in the sand:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Lord, deliver our parishes from self-proclaimed inquisitors!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

RoseofLima

If Jesus were the bishop, or the pastor of your parish....

that same Jesus who hung out with tax collectors and Samaritan women and prostitutes and beggars....

He would issue this questionnaire--written in the sand:

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Lord, deliver our parishes from self-proclaimed inquisitors!
That's all righteous and all--but if someone is in the position of teaching the Faith- I think it is reasonable to expect them to actually know (at least the basics of) the Faith and to be actively giving their assent to the teachings found in the CCC.

I do not want someone teaching my children who is divorced and remarried and persistently living a life in opposition to what the Church teaches. Does that mean I wouldn't welcome them as a guest into my home--golly I hope not, my brother wouldn't be able to come for a visit....However- having a position where one is 'oficially' representing the Church is very different from having fellowship and friendships and deep bonds with such people.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I agree--teaching Catechism, RCIA, etc. should be qualified, but many people who may be a bit lukewarm often get heated up when they start putting their faith in action. I think we would want to encourage people, no matter their current state, to get involved! :)

Exactly. Volunteerism can be a way to bring people into the faith, and a questionnaire might scare them off. I'm not worried about the school cook. Maybe being in a Catholic environment will rub off on her. I would be more concerned about a teacher or a pastoral leader, who should be in communion w/ the Church.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
You are aware, I presume, that some teachers in Catholic schools are non-Catholics. They teach academic subjects other than Religion, at which time they will switch with a Catholic teacher and teach his/her class Math...or Reading...

They do, however, lead the children in morning and afternoon prayers and Grace before lunch, and sit with the children during school Masses and worship services.

Upvote 0

faerieevaH

lucky wife
Dec 27, 2003
USA
✟28,950.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are aware, I presume, that some teachers in Catholic schools are non-Catholics. They teach academic subjects other than Religion, at which time they will switch with a Catholic teacher and teach his/her class Math...or Reading...

They do, however, lead the children in morning and afternoon prayers and Grace before lunch, and sit with the children during school Masses and worship services.

In Belgium we have religous education as an option in public schools. For many teachers getting the qualifications to give religious education is just a matter of going through the motions and attending classes for a year or so... without actually believing anything of it. These same teachers unfortunately often sort of have a little starter before their lesson like: "I don't really believe in God, but there is actually some good that you can learn from this Jesus, so.... " I have taught loads of children who get this lukewarm aproach to fait. In Belgium active Catholic teachers at most Catholic schools have become almost as rare as in public schools. It does make a difference in the way children perceive faith. I believe it IS important for Catholic Schools to have active Catholic teachers. Sinless teachers? No, of course not, but at least active and striving Catholics.

As to the survey, I agree with leaving out phrases like 'are you in communion with the Holy See' because a. a lot of people won't know what it means and another amount of people will interpret it wrong. To give a simple example: everyone who thinks the pope was wrong with his statements about the last war, might be doubting whether or not he was in communion. I think a better idea would be to find out for general parish volunteering if they are striving to be the best Catholic they can be.
When it comes to people who teach the faith, there can be a much more strict survey, though even there... it often is true that you become much more profecient and faithful when you teach the faith. I think I would have failed the survey when I started teaching the faith when I was eighteen...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.