Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all! I've been a long time reader and am now a first time poster. My church usually goes out and witnesses once a month. I'm new to witnessing and I use the 10 commandments. I attempted to witness to a self proclaimed atheist and heres how it went after I introduced myself.

Seems like you're trying to evangelize rather than giving witness. There is a difference:

Evangelizing is telling people what Jesus did for them.

Giving witness is telling people what Jesus did for you.

At the well in Samaria, Jesus evangelized; the woman then ran to give witness.

Not everyone is an evangelist (Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12).

The scriptural model is that an evangelist is called to evangelize and given the gift of evangelism, both by the Holy Spirit (Acts 13). Then trained by a congregation and commissioned by that congregation (Acts 13, Acts 18). I said "model," not "law," but it's wise to follow scriptural models. It takes the Holy Spirit to tell an evangelist where to go and who to speak to, as we see Him doing repeatedly in Acts.

OTOH, every Christian is obligated to be ready at any time to give witness to what Jesus has done for him (Acts 4, 1 Peter 3, Leviticus 5). You don't need training to witness, you don't need to be a scholar in apologetics, because you're only telling what you know firsthand. The Samaritan woman had had a single conversation with Jesus, and became an instantly effective witness. The blind man had one encounter with Jesus and became an instantly effective witness. Tell what you know.

It may work better for you to work with 1 Peter 3--testify to what Jesus has done for you and what makes you, personally, believe. There are other people who are where you were.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, but I did that too. That's why they let me post there. Normally they hate it when you evangelize, but I told 'em I was an atheist, converted and later fell off my faith just like them, but came back and that Jesus delivered me from psychiatric problems. They got a bit angry in the beginning, but when I told them I had done a suicide attack and heard voices and everything, of which the Lord delivered me, I guess they thought: oh you poor thing and I told them about all the miracles that happened in our church, people healed from cancer, my father in law who had an xray one week his lungs were full of cancer and the next week it was gone and the doctors said it was a miracle. And there were some jews there, I told 'em about Michael Brown explaining the Trinity, one was very interested, he's an agnost, considering to be a theist. He came to the christian forum when his father was dying in the hospital, also an agnost and asked us to pray for him to go to heaven and I prayed for him for hours and told him that. I love praying for atheists.

Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I witnessed on the FreeThinker forum for 33 pages. They were friendly and let me qoute a lot of scripture. Most of the people there are ex-believers.
Now I'm praying for them. It was amazing, they have trick questions trying to proof God is a monster, like Richard Dawkins does. I know nothing about the Old Testament, but God gave me all the answers to their questions.
How I started?
I said: I have this burning Love in my heart and woke up this morning and had to pray for someone there who wrote a book and with it has succeeded to pull a lot of christians off their faith. I said: can you explain this with science? hahahahaha, but they did listen, because that's the reason he fell off his faith. He didn't believe God loved him unconditionally. They told him 9/11 was God's will and punishment. That's also when the whole Dawkins movement started, trying to proof the God of the Old Testament is immoral and therefore doesn't exist.
And yes, they want proof and xrays of Divine healing. They can get it.

Some say they want proof, but again, would they believe if given proof of miracles? I have been talking to hard athiests. By that I mean their minds are completely closed to the existence of God. They are cruel and denigrate God with anything they can get their hands on. But I feel I have planted seeds and then I pray for the Holy Spirit to work in their hearts.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some say they want proof, but again, would they believe if given proof of miracles? I have been talking to hard athiests. By that I mean their minds are completely closed to the existence of God. They are cruel and denigrate God with anything they can get their hands on. But I feel I have planted seeds and then I pray for the Holy Spirit to work in their hearts.
Yes Amen, I feel that too. God gave me a dream about them and told me to not post anymore, but just pray. He can do it, He can open their eyes.

Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes Amen, I feel that too. God gave me a dream about them and told me to not post anymore, but just pray. He can do it, He can open their eyes.

I agree, there comes a time when we have to Matt 10:14- If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet. We have to remember that we are just the messengers. But what really upsets me is when an atheist quotes verse and then claims to understand. We know they can not understand God's word without the help of the Holy Spirit. And I have tried to explain verse to them but they will not listen. Jer 11:8- But they did not listen or pay attention; instead, they followed the stubbornness of their evil hearts. So I brought on them all the curses of the covenant I had commanded them to follow but that they did not keep.'"

Upvote 0

Baz

Nov 20, 2011
✟7,705.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God has to make people ready. Ever since I understood witnessing and outreach as planting and harvesting, it rested my mind at ease. No pressure to convert. Some people's hearts are not ready and God has to soften then first. All things come in due season. Flow with it.

Most of all, it is important to appreciate them as the unique people with gifts and talent God made them to be. Ask God to help you understand difficult people and see them the way he does. That pushes us to pray for them and makes it a bit easier to forgive when they try to hurt you.

To be a witness requires close communication and walk with the Holy Spirit. Fasting and praying for people is POWERFUL.

Upvote 0

Follower3

Site Supporter
Jun 1, 2013
✟381,065.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(Warning, heavy use of sarcasm)
Going around telling people they are going to hell because they lied,
thats the way to teach people about the Grace of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior! :priest:
Also gives atheists refutable testimony to change their Hearts, and start looking to God! :liturgy:

Fail bro, fail. Go forth and love one another brother, not condemn them.

Does this method work on anyone? people who are luke warm perhaps? maybe, but I don't see it working on atheists.

Upvote 0

Mariposa36

Jun 1, 2013
United States
✟15,509.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hardheaded and proud atheists are so difficult to even have a conversation with regarding anything mildly religious. I know one and he is really stuck up and full of himself. He probably would toss the pamphlet in the trash or crack a snarky joke about it.

While I pray for these people, I also pray that we can all manage to change the negative connotations regarding Christianity and churches. There are some terrible stereotypes about both going around and they really turn people away.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
(Warning, heavy use of sarcasm)
Going around telling people they are going to hell because they lied,
thats the way to teach people about the Grace of Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior! :priest:
Also gives atheists refutable testimony to change their Hearts, and start looking to God! :liturgy:

Fail bro, fail. Go forth and love one another brother, not condemn them.

Does this method work on anyone? people who are luke warm perhaps? maybe, but I don't see it working on atheists.
Maybe because a lot of them are former christians who fell off their faith because of extreme hellpreaching and that God is angry.

Upvote 0

onenarrowdoor

Aug 25, 2013
England
✟15,480.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Seems like you're trying to evangelize rather than giving witness. There is a difference:

Evangelizing is telling people what Jesus did for them.

Giving witness is telling people what Jesus did for you.

At the well in Samaria, Jesus evangelized; the woman then ran to give witness.

Not everyone is an evangelist (Romans 12, 1 Corinthians 12).

The scriptural model is that an evangelist is called to evangelize and given the gift of evangelism, both by the Holy Spirit (Acts 13). Then trained by a congregation and commissioned by that congregation (Acts 13, Acts 18). I said "model," not "law," but it's wise to follow scriptural models. It takes the Holy Spirit to tell an evangelist where to go and who to speak to, as we see Him doing repeatedly in Acts.

OTOH, every Christian is obligated to be ready at any time to give witness to what Jesus has done for him (Acts 4, 1 Peter 3, Leviticus 5). You don't need training to witness, you don't need to be a scholar in apologetics, because you're only telling what you know firsthand. The Samaritan woman had had a single conversation with Jesus, and became an instantly effective witness. The blind man had one encounter with Jesus and became an instantly effective witness. Tell what you know.

It may work better for you to work with 1 Peter 3--testify to what Jesus has done for you and what makes you, personally, believe. There are other people who are where you were.

What an excellent post! How often is evangelism confused with witnessing, even to the point of folk experiencing false 'condemnation' because they have been told that all Christians should evangelise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Atheists are very hard to talk with because they think nothing of denigrating the Lord and the person that is talking about the Lord. But I have found a more disgusting group called the emergent church. These groups operate under the guise of being "Christian". There are many sects but they all have the same agenda. To be able to normalize lifestyles such as homosexuality, cross dressing, immoral sex. And the way they normalize these lifestyles is they choose which part of the bible they will preach and believe. Many of the sects state that they appreciate the wisdom of Jesus but don't believe Jesus is the Son of God. Many of the sects preach that God is a God of love only and refuse to preach that God is also a God of judgment. They claim to believe that God, being a God of love would not send anyone to a hell to be tormented. That "Christians" that preach the doctrine of hell are hate mongers. The people who are preaching this and enticing people to follow them are, in my opinion, teaching false doctrine and are preventing their followers of a path to heaven and salvation. Some of the names of these groups are the "progressive Christians" "the unfundamentalist Christians", both found on facebook. Just wanted to pass on what I have learned.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi all! I've been a long time reader and am now a first time poster. My church usually goes out and witnesses once a month. I'm new to witnessing and I use the 10 commandments. I attempted to witness to a self proclaimed atheist and heres how it went after I introduced myself.
Me: Have you ever stolen anything?
Him: yes.
Me:What does that make you?
Him: a thief.
Me: Have you ever lied?
Him: Everyone has.
Me:Have you ever looked upon someone with lust?
Him: That's human nature.
Me:Well since you've lied, lusted, and stolen do you think you'll be getting into heaven? (Most people say yes)
Him: No
(I was a little shaken and confused because he had a smirk on his face)
Me:Where do you think you'll be going?
Him: Into the ground
Me: You mean into hell? You're a sinner you know and I want to tell you about the bible.
Him: No, I don't believe in gods.
I then tried explaining that it's more logical to believe in god and jesus because if you don't and there is you're going to hell and if you do and there isn't nothing will happen.
Then he started talking about how that's pascal's wager and how there's over 6000 religions with different beliefs and how I shouldn't be bothering people like him on the street. I was confused because he seemed to know what he was talking about.
I gave him a pamphlet about our church and activities in case he would be interested later and he tore it in half in front of me. How can I get these hardheaded atheists to listen?

Whoo, brother....these days it's almost impossible to tell a non believer something they have not heard and are not prepared for as they have heard it probably many times.

You're best bet is to avoid the presuppositional apologetics until you're a bit more "seasoned" at the actual arguments and the in's and out's of the answers they will give. Obviously, you can't prepare for all answers but at least ask yourself how they might answer your questions ahead of time in order to prepare......BUT.....

...the best approach is just planting a seed by sharing Jesus with them and avoid hell alltogether. Remember, the idea is to plant the seed not getting someone to convert there on the spot.

Upvote 0

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
. The people who are preaching this and enticing people to follow them are, in my opinion, teaching false doctrine and are preventing their followers of a path to heaven and salvation. Some of the names of these groups are the "progressive Christians" "the unfundamentalist Christians", both found on facebook. Just wanted to pass on what I have learned.

There's no doubt they are a false doctrine. I run upon these folks daily (quite a few on this site) and the whole "God won't send you to hell" jazz is most assuredly the tool of the devil. The greatest trick the devil ever played,right??!?

Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There's no doubt they are a false doctrine. I run upon these folks daily (quite a few on this site) and the whole "God won't send you to hell" jazz is most assuredly the tool of the devil. The greatest trick the devil ever played,right??!?

RIGHT!!!! You are exactly right. The devil twists the truth and tries to sell it as the truth. That is why I look at the emergent church as an insidious, dangerous, movement. I feel bad for all the souls that will be lost because of this false teaching.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
RIGHT!!!! You are exactly right. The devil twists the truth and tries to sell it as the truth. That is why I look at the emergent church as an insidious, dangerous, movement. I feel bad for all the souls that will be lost because of this false teaching.

Are you saying that those false teachers have sovereignty over the salvation of others? Interesting. That's more power than even Satan has.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

firesoforion

Nov 15, 2011
✟11,556.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone, I'm a long-time-mostly-lurker here, and this thread struck a particular chord with me today because I have been reading and thinking about witnessing. I've even started to venture out on my own and telling my best friend (an Orthodox Jew) about Christianity. Though some of the stuff I'll say here is probably a repetition, I figured I'd add my two cents, because I grew up, went to school/university/grad school, and have essentially always been surrounded by atheists. In fact the first step I took toward Christianity was a rejection of the atheist "logic" I was surrounded by. I'm not an expert witnesser by any means, I don't know all the theory and everything behind it, but I do know atheists...

Like many people here have said, arguments about hell and sin and the need for Christ for salvation aren't the way to go in the first conversation, and you can't expect to get a conversion via street witnessing, though there are still reasons to do it. For instance when I was in college, the students out there witnessing on the streets were by far the most accepting people I talked to there. If you can be that, you'll at least get the attention of people who may feel like misfits or outcasts. Again, though, that isn't done by talk of hell or sin.

Talking to atheists, though, all you can really do is plant a seed, and it may take years to fully develop, but if you can get them to just change their perceptions of various stereotypes you have been successful. In atheist eyes, Christians are either bullies who tell people they have to think/feel/act exactly as they do, or they've been forced to submit to the bullies because they're weak and believe in faulty logic and unprovable stories (whether Biblical or of "miracles"). The core of their belief system (for lack of a better word) is that religion, itself, doesn't give anybody benefit in their lives. When you know what you're dealing with, though, there are ways around it.

Because there *are* tangible ways that a belief in God benefits us in this lifetime - no thoughts of Heaven or fear of hell necessary. The fact is that even if I did just go into the ground and cease to exist when I died, I would still count myself blessed for having the presence of God in the time I was alive. That I can know He's with me when I'm loneliest, and that He loves me when it feels that no one else does, and that God's will provides some order to the universe is a powerful thing. Prayer to God is a comfort to the person praying as much as it is a duty; it's a way of getting hardships and worries off your chest and releasing them to Someone who can actually do something about them. It's meditation on steroids.

You're not going to convert them using that line of rhetoric, but they'll remember their conversation with you because it was different from any conversation they've ever had with a Christian, and hopefully when they face the next hardship in their lives - and EVERYBODY faces hardship - they'll see that praying to God is a whole lot more comforting than not praying to Him.

The other thing I'd say about witnessing to atheists is that it's beneficial to avoid the "gotcha" questions. "Why do bad things happen to good people" is an easy and necessary one to answer, and a good answer to that can get them thinking. When people ask you if gays go to hell, though, you just divert the question. God loves all people, though all are sinners and he hates all sin (acting on homosexual impulses is a sin, but heterosexual people sin, too), it's not up to you to judge them, all you are trying to do is help people understand God.

Essentially I'd say that spreading the Word to atheists is most effectively done through a discussion of God's love and nothing else at first, and that pure love is actually one of my favorite ways that the teachings of Christianity differ from those of other religions. Jesus loved sinners, prostitutes, the lowest of the low by society's standards. They've heard the basics (or at least horrible interpretations of the basics) a thousand times; tell them something new and you'll at least get them thinking about how to argue with you.

Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that those false teachers have sovereignty over the salvation of others? Interesting. That's more power than even Satan has.

We all have free will. We can walk through life denying God or choosing to believe a false doctrine. God does not force us to believe in him.

Upvote 0

trientje

May 23, 2012
✟8,577.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, I'm a long-time-mostly-lurker here, and this thread struck a particular chord with me today because I have been reading and thinking about witnessing. I've even started to venture out on my own and telling my best friend (an Orthodox Jew) about Christianity. Though some of the stuff I'll say here is probably a repetition, I figured I'd add my two cents, because I grew up, went to school/university/grad school, and have essentially always been surrounded by atheists. In fact the first step I took toward Christianity was a rejection of the atheist "logic" I was surrounded by. I'm not an expert witnesser by any means, I don't know all the theory and everything behind it, but I do know atheists...

Like many people here have said, arguments about hell and sin and the need for Christ for salvation aren't the way to go in the first conversation, and you can't expect to get a conversion via street witnessing, though there are still reasons to do it. For instance when I was in college, the students out there witnessing on the streets were by far the most accepting people I talked to there. If you can be that, you'll at least get the attention of people who may feel like misfits or outcasts. Again, though, that isn't done by talk of hell or sin.

Talking to atheists, though, all you can really do is plant a seed, and it may take years to fully develop, but if you can get them to just change their perceptions of various stereotypes you have been successful. In atheist eyes, Christians are either bullies who tell people they have to think/feel/act exactly as they do, or they've been forced to submit to the bullies because they're weak and believe in faulty logic and unprovable stories (whether Biblical or of "miracles"). The core of their belief system (for lack of a better word) is that religion, itself, doesn't give anybody benefit in their lives. When you know what you're dealing with, though, there are ways around it.

Because there *are* tangible ways that a belief in God benefits us in this lifetime - no thoughts of Heaven or fear of hell necessary. The fact is that even if I did just go into the ground and cease to exist when I died, I would still count myself blessed for having the presence of God in the time I was alive. That I can know He's with me when I'm loneliest, and that He loves me when it feels that no one else does, and that God's will provides some order to the universe is a powerful thing. Prayer to God is a comfort to the person praying as much as it is a duty; it's a way of getting hardships and worries off your chest and releasing them to Someone who can actually do something about them. It's meditation on steroids.

You're not going to convert them using that line of rhetoric, but they'll remember their conversation with you because it was different from any conversation they've ever had with a Christian, and hopefully when they face the next hardship in their lives - and EVERYBODY faces hardship - they'll see that praying to God is a whole lot more comforting than not praying to Him.

The other thing I'd say about witnessing to atheists is that it's beneficial to avoid the "gotcha" questions. "Why do bad things happen to good people" is an easy and necessary one to answer, and a good answer to that can get them thinking. When people ask you if gays go to hell, though, you just divert the question. God loves all people, though all are sinners and he hates all sin (acting on homosexual impulses is a sin, but heterosexual people sin, too), it's not up to you to judge them, all you are trying to do is help people understand God.

Essentially I'd say that spreading the Word to atheists is most effectively done through a discussion of God's love and nothing else at first, and that pure love is actually one of my favorite ways that the teachings of Christianity differ from those of other religions. Jesus loved sinners, prostitutes, the lowest of the low by society's standards. They've heard the basics (or at least horrible interpretations of the basics) a thousand times; tell them something new and you'll at least get them thinking about how to argue with you.

We are commanded to preach the gospel. We plant seeds and the Holy Spirit then works with the person. Sometimes it takes years sometimes the person chooses not to believe in which case they remain lost. I don't understand it all. I don't understand why, like in my case, I was a born again believer and backslid and years later turned back to the Lord. But why some who are backsliders never return. Isaiah 30:18-Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; therefore he will rise up to show you compassion. He waits for us to turn to him.

Upvote 0