Faces 35 years. Crime? Drove the wrong way in a one-way street

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Apologies for the language barrier. This guy drove down a small town one way street - the wrong way - last fall. Now he is in prison facing a 5 to 35 year penalty
Nordmann i USA: Jeg risikerer 35 års fengsel - VG Nett om USA
Google translate gives:
http://translate.google.com/transla.../utenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10073343&act=url

Wifey, who's from the south says to expect such treatment if you are a foreigner in a small town, stating small town people are very suspicious of foreigners and can be very unfriendly, especially if you do not introduce yourself the proper way. To which I reply: What's the right way, and how is a foreigner supposed to know?

Last edited:

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sadly the ad system is hanging google translate.

I'll copy-paste then. Here:

It happened during the Saturday 24 September is not taken from an American B-movie. It is the hard reality:

The 29 ** March he was found guilty of so-called "aggravated assault" - attempted grievous bodily harm with the use of deadly weapons - against six Americans, hence indirectly also has two small children.

** Weapon, according to the judgment to be renting the car her mother Liv Lars Farm and son ran the fateful day.

** Tomorrow comes the sentence. The Norwegian risk being sentenced to a minimum of five years in prison. Although he fears 35 years behind bars.

- Several witnesses believe you tried to hurt people, even kill children, with the car as a weapon. What is your comment on that?

- It has absolutely no basis in reality. Witnesses are either family or acquaintances of each other, we have found. The accusations are unreal. Why on earth would I want to hurt children? I am about to get the rest of my life ruined. Although the minimum penalty is five years, the judge may decide to add things for each other, and I can get 35 years in prison, says Lars farm.

VGTV: Watch an interview with the Norwegian here

The defective tire

For three days, VG stayed in the sleepy, windswept and bone-dry towns located along Interstate 40, in an attempt to reconstruct the incredible story:

The mother Liv running his son's Volvo that fateful morning. John Christopher is sitting and half of the passenger seat on the way from Los Angeles to Chicago.

Suddenly it starts to flash red in the lights on the dashboard. There is something wrong with one of the tires.

Life and son decide to turn off at first exit. The Winslow.

But something goes wrong, and suddenly she has run into a mid-off, the car is not driveable anymore, and both must be in the hospital to check him.

They need a rental car - fast - but it does not exist in Winslow.

Taxi driver Sandy Curry (68) are the Norwegians to the rescue and drive them to Flagstaff so they can move on.

Now it is John Christopher running. However, they must return to Winslow to pick up your luggage in the wrecked car, before they can continue the journey to Chicago.

The vehicle shall be located at Dalton Auto Parts.

Panic

Normally you will find hardly a quieter town than Winslow, but the 24th september in 2011, the annual music festival was held.

And when the Norwegians turn into 2 street - on historic Route 66 - they make a big mistake. The street is one way, and they are running in the wrong direction.

VG on Monday 23 april. Photo: Facsimile: VG
This causes many of the festival participants to respond, even if Jeff Gard is running slow. The ropes, shaking his fists.

When Lars Farm tries to swing into the parking lot behind the Dalton Auto, the car is surrounded by people.

- I panicked and asked my son to get us out of there right away, says Liv Lars farm.

John Christopher reversing the car back on the road, but hit the curb on the opposite side. And puncture.

He stops just steps away from a makeshift hot dog kiosk. Here is what a woman and her children. The car never comes in contact with them, nor any other people.

But several of the witnesses claim that this ridge is no threatening behavior and dangerous driving. While claiming the mother and son that they only tried to get away, and that they still were not aware that they had run against one-way streets no.

They drive around the block, come back to the 2nd street, but this time they all stop.

Fist

The first episode has stirred up the people. Now surrounded the car.

Michael Mendoza as the first event from inside the tobacco shop he runs, and has followed the car to walk around the block.

Mendoza is angry:

He says Lars Farm has tried to kill both his wife and their two children. They were in the makeshift hot dog kiosk when Lars farm backed on the curb.

Lars Farm has rolled down the window. The invective against shotguns mother and son.

None of them notice that Mendoza is approaching.

- So I hear a bang, and then I see the blood spurt out the steering wheel and dashboard. He has struck me with his fist in the nose so that it breaks, explains John Christopher.

Police Corps

Now he and his mother really panic. He presses the throttle, spins around in the street and run away as fast as he can.

A woman who resides at the car, gets run over toes. Another woman who throws away, get abrasions.

Besides this, no one injured.

- The one who got the most serious injury was actually Lars farm himself, said lawyer Candelaria.

Now, calling both the mother and son, 911 emergency number

They tell where they are, a few hundred meters from where the two events took place.

Right after that, police. At least ten people.

The point that gun at the car.

Police arrested both mother and son. The links with John Christopher handcuffed to the steering wheel of the car. Since he has not been on the loose.

Now it has gone to six and a half minutes from when the two began to run against one-way streets no, according to the police log.

MOTHER arrested: Nurse Lars Farm Life (68) from Oslo called the emergency number 911 to say she and her son had been attacked. Instead, police arrested them. Photo: Winslow Police Department

The lawyer

- This is a very embarrassing legal scandal. The case had been dropped, from day one. There is not a single proof in the case that substantiates that Lars Farm has tried to kill someone during the six and a half minutes in an American small town he has never been in. The police did not put one investigator on the case until after five weeks, says lawyer Criss Candelaria, VG visit him at the office in the neighboring town of Pinetop.

- The witnesses were angry. And the police and the court chose to believe the witnesses' version, namely that Lars Farm intentionally tried to harm and even kill these people. But it lacks the complete proof of this, it is only a statement from them. And if Lars Gard had tried to kill someone, why he called the police and said where he was? The case is completely illogical. I have therefore asked the judge that Lars Farm gets a new trial. I have been district attorney in Arizona for 22 years. Therefore, I think this is so embarrassing, says lawyers Candelaria.

Witnesses

Several key witnesses refuse to talk to VG and will not speak before sentencing is scheduled to be available tomorrow.

But everyone else VG meetings in Winslow tells the same story:

It was a foreigner here last year that drove like a maniac and tried to hurt and kill people.

Consul: Wild thing

- The whole thing is a disgrace to the United States. He should get a fine or similar for reckless driving.

It said Norway's honorary consul in Phoenix since 2005, economics professor George Olanders at the State University Of Arizona.

- There is no evidence, even likely, that Lars Farm has tried to hurt or kill someone in Winslow. The case is completely lost. Having been present during part of the trial, I am shocked that he was convicted, said Oland.

Upvote 0

SnowCal

50 Cent Party
Jan 24, 2012
✟9,835.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Apologies for the language barrier. This guy drove down a small town one way street - the wrong way - last fall. Now he is in prison facing a 5 to 35 year penalty
Nordmann i USA: Jeg risikerer 35 års fengsel - VG Nett om USA
Google translate gives:
Google Translate

Surprisingly I can't find anything on this in the US press. Not even a mention. Typically Google will turn up something you know, even for the most minor of things, but here I can't find anything. That's pretty unusual.

One thing that I did catch. The article you linked to suggests a pretty random altercation in Chicago. Looking up his name I found that it appears to be much more complex than that. No idea what exactly happened but some pretty strong allegations of stalking come up. Basically the people involved claimed to have left Alabama (where he and they lived) because they claim he was stalking their daughter. They moved to Chicago. Shortly thereafter he appears in Chicago and that's when that incident occurs. It's not that Larsgard was necessarily in the wrong there but the description in the translation that you offered me suggests something quite entirely different. Not that this story is very relevant to the case at hand.

Wifey, who's from the south says to expect such treatment if you are a foreigner in a small town, stating small town people are very suspicious of foreigners and can be very unfriendly, especially if you do not introduce yourself the proper way. To which I reply: What's the right way, and how is a foreigner supposed to know?
Yeah. Pretty much. Good advice for you Norwegians. When the cop is pointing his gun at your window and you roll it down your first remark should be something other than Uff Da!

I feel like there are details missing from this story to be honest. It really surprises me that somebody would be charged so heavily for a crime like that. That sort of screw-up is usually a slap on the wrist offense, even if you seriously injure or kill somebody, though follow-up civil actions may prove to be a nightmare. Not certain what exactly is going on here but I'd love to learn some more concrete info before I rush to judgment. What I've heard so far doesn't make sense.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Surprisingly I can't find anything on this in the US press. Not even a mention. Typically Google will turn up something you know, even for the most minor of things, but here I can't find anything. That's pretty unusual.

One thing that I did catch. The article you linked to suggests a pretty random altercation in Chicago. Looking up his name I found that it appears to be much more complex than that. No idea what exactly happened but some pretty strong allegations of stalking come up. Basically the people involved claimed to have left Alabama (where he and they lived) because they claim he was stalking their daughter. They moved to Chicago. Shortly thereafter he appears in Chicago and that's when that incident occurs. It's not that Larsgard was necessarily in the wrong there but the description in the translation that you offered me suggests something quite entirely different. Not that this story is very relevant to the case at hand.

Yeah. Pretty much. Good advice for you Norwegians. When the cop is pointing his gun at your window and you roll it down your first remark should be something other than Uff Da!
*chuckle*
You think? ;)
I feel like there are details missing from this story to be honest. It really surprises me that somebody would be charged so heavily for a crime like that. That sort of screw-up is usually a slap on the wrist offense, even if you seriously injure or kill somebody, though follow-up civil actions may prove to be a nightmare. Not certain what exactly is going on here but I'd love to learn some more concrete info before I rush to judgment. What I've heard so far doesn't make sense.

There are several things that do not add up.
In 2001 he was kicked out of his university in Alabama where he was a bioengineering student.

So things are a bit strange, I agree. But it just seems.... Shady. And over the top. The video interview with him also... Well, he appears a little out of it. That could be from not speaking Norwegian for a while, and it could be prison. It's no crime to be strange, and I cannot imagine he would try to run down several people on a festival day and FAIL at it. If he would have wanted to I can't imagine he'd fail. So it would appear at first glance to be a rather... Slam dunk case for him and his lawyer. WHy was it not?

I also wonder about the potential here. Five to thirty five years in prison for not killing someone in what sounds like a mishap. While here a mass murderer gets 21 years with possible indefinite detention should he prove a danger to society upon completion of the sentence... I think it is safe to say the underlying philosophies of the different criminal systems are fundamentally different. Rehabilitate vs. punish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The translator version is not readable.
The mother Liv running his son's Volvo that fateful morning. John Christopher is sitting and half of the passenger seat on the way from Los Angeles to Chicago.

Suddenly it starts to flash red in the lights on the dashboard. There is something wrong with one of the tires.

Life and son decide to turn off at first exit. The Winslow.

But something goes wrong, and suddenly she has run into a mid-off, the car is not driveable anymore, and both must be in the hospital to check him.
it loses alot in translation.

I had trouble even figuring out what the name of the persons arrested.
Winslow Arizona Norwegians rt 66 finds no connection when searched. (Bing search engine)
The only constant in the search is this thread.

Panicing after having an accident, and trying to flee in a car with people swarming around the car is not usually taken lightly in any country, especially when kids are endangered.
I don't have enough evidence to say who was at fault or who over reacted.

"Standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine site to see, its a girl, my lord," being run off the road by a driver going the wrong way?
(Take it Easy-Eagles)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The translator version is not readable.

it loses alot in translation.

I had trouble even figuring out what the name of the persons arrested.
Winslow Arizona Norwegians rt 66 finds no connection when searched. (Bing search engine)
The only constant in the search is this thread.

Panicing after having an accident, and trying to flee in a car with people swarming around the car is not usually taken lightly in any country, especially when kids are endangered.
I don't have enough evidence to say who was at fault or who over reacted.

"Standing on the corner in Winslow Arizona, such a fine site to see, its a girl, my lord," being run off the road by a driver going the wrong way?
(Take it Easy-Eagles)

Yes, it is a terrible translation.

I have had a quick look. This guy is extremely unlucky. And by extremely I mean extremely.

He was so severely bullied in school experts wrote a book on his case alone. The bullying was extreme, he decided to leave Norway due to the psychological trauma this instilled. He did get compensation and there were trials concerning this bullying. So the situation was extremely dire. The bullies even beat his mother up.

Then there was the paranoia following 2001, he was kicked out of his university in the south for basically being a foreigner - for which he sued the university and as far as I know won the lawsuit.

Now, I would wager he has some psychological issues after being bullied so severely and all the other stuff. So when he drove wrong and someone hits him in the face for that... I am not surprised if he had a meltdown.
I hope he can be let go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes, it is a terrible translation.

I have had a quick look. This guy is extremely unlucky. And by extremely I mean extremely.

He was so severely bullied in school experts wrote a book on his case alone. The bullying was extreme, he decided to leave Norway due to the psychological trauma this instilled. He did get compensation and there were trials concerning this bullying. So the situation was extremely dire. The bullies even beat his mother up.

Then there was the paranoia following 2001, he was kicked out of his university in the south for basically being a foreigner - for which he sued the university and as far as I know won the lawsuit.

Now, I would wager he has some psychological issues after being bullied so severely and all the other stuff. So when he drove wrong and someone hits him in the face for that... I am not surprised if he had a meltdown.
I hope he can be let go.

I hope he can get help, and I hope he is not held in prison for too long.
I don't like not finding a story on the web. I don't doubt it happened, I just had confidence you could find anything on the web.

side note; I have never tried the translator for more then one sentence. There must be words that were omitted, because even in another language they speak in complete sentences even if in a different order then english uses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't like not finding a story on the web. I don't doubt it happened, I just had confidence you could find anything on the web.

side note; I have never tried the translator for more then one sentence. There must be words that were omitted, because even in another language they speak in complete sentences even if in a different order then english uses.

I was a little eager to hear your input on this one so I posted, then searched for english. Could find none, so I translated w. Google translate. Well, lesson learned.

But, yeah. It happened. The article has videos of the arrest. And the guy is known in Norway, given the book and the eventually pretty high profile story about his bullying and moving from Norway as a result. The poor guy. I hope he gets out of this pickle in one piece. He deserves a break IMO. Let him have some good luck, he's had enough bad luck I think.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,656.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Sometimes translation engines give a decent translation, others it comes out like we ahve seen here.

One huge problem is many do a poor job in identifying proper names and then translate the names.

I've read quite a lot translated by search engines as I am interested in the history of Bicycle racing and some of the best sites are in French. One instance I recall is seeing a Giro and Tour De France winner listed as Mark Marshes. I was able to figure out the rider was Marco Pantani.

If the Op could go through the original and pull out the names I think there is a decent chance of getting a search to work for something in English. Though there may still be issues in names needing to be transliterated toget hits. (I found long ago that searching for information about cycling history failed miserably given race names, but a list of riders tended to get hits. I think the same may work here. City names and Highway names may fail, peiople may work).

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes translation engines give a decent translation, others it comes out like we ahve seen here.

One huge problem is many do a poor job in identifying proper names and then translate the names.

I've read quite a lot translated by search engines as I am interested in the history of Bicycle racing and some of the best sites are in French. One instance I recall is seeing a Giro and Tour De France winner listed as Mark Marshes. I was able to figure out the rider was Marco Pantani.

If the Op could go through the original and pull out the names I think there is a decent chance of getting a search to work for something in English. Though there may still be issues in names needing to be transliterated toget hits. (I found long ago that searching for information about cycling history failed miserably given race names, but a list of riders tended to get hits. I think the same may work here. City names and Highway names may fail, peiople may work).

The names are:
John Kristoffer Larsgard - The guy
Liv Larsgard - his mother

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

"Wifey" is quite ignorant.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"Wifey" is quite ignorant.

I may have misunderstood her, but I do not think so. I may have misrepresented what she said though. However: She is not ignorant, nightflight.

She grew up in small town Texas. She's a med student in what's recognized as Scandinavia's best university.

And you call her ignorant.

Right back atcha, buddy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I may have misunderstood her, but I do not think so. I may have misrepresented what she said though. However: She is not ignorant, nightflight.

She grew up in small town Texas. She's a med student in what's recognized as Scandinavia's best university.

And you call her ignorant.

Right back atcha, buddy.

I don't care what school she went to, her statement about the South was ignorant. But I shouldn't have said she was ignorant; just her statement.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't care what school she went to, her statement about the South was ignorant. But I shouldn't have said she was ignorant; just her statement.

Or rather my statement regarding it. Bash that, not her. I did not quote her verbatim, nightflight. I'm usually hard to offend, but....

But it does indeed seem small towns in the south are quick to take offense if you rub them the wrong way. Which appears quite easy for someone who's not from it.
As a case in point you can always watch Top Gear's trip through the states. The view of southern small town folk as fairly judgmental and easily offended into violence hardly appears to be wrong given that.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But it does indeed seem small towns in the south are quick to take offense if you rub them the wrong way. Which appears quite easy for someone who's not from it.
As a case in point you can always watch Top Gear's trip through the states. The view of southern small town folk as fairly judgmental and easily offended into violence hardly appears to be wrong given that.

Oh yeah? Go to certain areas of L.A., Miami or Atlanta and find out about judgment and violence. Especially if you are a tourist.

Upvote 0

TheReasoner

Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Oh yeah? Go to certain areas of L.A., Miami or Atlanta and find out about judgment and violence. Especially if you are a tourist.

Goodness, I would expect that to be worse.
It was rather bad in certain parts of certain cities in South America. I narrowly avoided being held up at gunpoint and was held up at machete point for being white. ¡No quieres parecer gringo por todo lado - te lo juro!
Not saying it's not bad elsewhere. It can be.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Goodness, I would expect that to be worse.
It was rather bad in certain parts of certain cities in South America. I narrowly avoided being held up at gunpoint and was held up at machete point for being white.
Not saying it's not bad elsewhere. It can be.

Then why single out towns in the South? What was the purpose?

Upvote 0