Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Ghosts don't exist. Demons do. And "history" can be fabricated.
There appears to be considerable evidence that ghosties do exist, namely, the souls of human beings that for whatever reason, are trapped between this world and the next. Many have reported seeing spirits that they recognize, sometimes they are deceased family members or friends. It is possible that some of these ghosts are in Purgatory and maybe some are afraid of leaving the Earth, for fear that they may go to Hell.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
My question is how can we tell a soul in purgatory from a demon? Can we feel comfortable with the certainty that since the entity is asking you to pray to God, that it's from purgatory?
Good questions and no easy answers.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,673,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the CCC which is backed up by Scripture:

All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or to demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretations of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers, they contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear we owe to God alone.
(CCC, 2116)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
ADMIN HAT ON

OBOB Statement of Purpose
OBOB welcomes non-Catholic guests who wish to fellowship or ask respectful questions.
Definition of a Fellowship Post

It is not:

It is not debate.
It is not apologetics.
It is not answering questions related to the beliefs of the group.
It is not teaching in any way on any issue

It is:
Essentially Fellowship is defined as a discussion of topics of association, of companionship - i.e. discussions of things like friends, family, work..... these are fellowship posts. And posts that genuinely offer friendship would certainly be described as fellowship.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The last article I posted goes into this.
I think I can get a feeling for the difference (based on how the article describes the person in purgatory who was asking the person on earth to pray for him). It makes purgatory all the more convincing though, but I wish it weren't something I was frightened of.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,673,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think I can get a feeling for the difference (based on how the article describes the person in purgatory who was asking the person on earth to pray for him). It makes purgatory all the more convincing though, but I wish it weren't something I was frightened of.
Right! And it's not an everyday occurrence. It would frighten me too. But I guess Padre Pio dealt with this a lot.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟806,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I think the difference between seeing a demon and seeing something holy is that the holy entity will lead you to God and the demon to some type of negativity. Demons don't like prayer, holy water and bible verses. When my son's house had a demon in it (they could see it walking around their living room), I took my bible over there with some holy water. We prayed the rosary together, then a novena. I read from the bible out loud. My daughter-in-law said the demon left and never returned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums