Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Until today, I had always found Stephen's point in his speech to be rather difficult to make out. I'm now curious to see what others would say is Stephen's driving point in the speech he gave before the Sanhedrin in Acts 7.

I will paste it out here in the KJV, although anyone who wishes to post another translation is certainly welcome to do so:

"Then said the high priest, Are these things so? 2 And he said, Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in Charran, 3 And said unto him, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and come into the land which I shall shew thee. 4 Then came he out of the land of the Chaldaeans, and dwelt in Charran: and from thence, when his father was dead, he removed him into this land, wherein ye now dwell. 5 And he gave him none inheritance in it, no, not so much as to set his foot on: yet he promised that he would give it to him for a possession, and to his seed after him, when as yet he had no child. 6 And God spake on this wise, That his seed should sojourn in a strange land; and that they should bring them into bondage, and entreat them evil four hundred years. 7 And the nation to whom they shall be in bondage will I judge, said God: and after that shall they come forth, and serve me in this place. 8 And he gave him the covenant of circumcision: and so Abraham begat Isaac, and circumcised him the eighth day; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat the twelve patriarchs. 9 And the patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but God was with him, 10 And delivered him out of all his afflictions, and gave him favor and wisdom in the sight of Pharaoh king of Egypt; and he made him governor over Egypt and all his house. 11 Now there came a dearth over all the land of Egypt and Chanaan, and great affliction: and our fathers found no sustenance. 12 But when Jacob heard that there was corn in Egypt, he sent out our fathers first. 13 And at the second time Joseph was made known to his brethren; and Joseph's kindred was made known unto Pharaoh. 14 Then sent Joseph, and called his father Jacob to him, and all his kindred, threescore and fifteen souls. 15 So Jacob went down into Egypt, and died, he, and our fathers, 16 And were carried over into Sychem, and laid in the sepulchre that Abraham bought for a sum of money of the sons of Emmor the father of Sychem. 17 But when the time of the promise drew nigh, which God had sworn to Abraham, the people grew and multiplied in Egypt, 18 Till another king arose, which knew not Joseph. 19 The same dealt subtily with our kindred, and evil entreated our fathers, so that they cast out their young children, to the end they might not live. 20 In which time Moses was born, and was exceeding fair, and nourished up in his father's house three months: 21 And when he was cast out, Pharaoh's daughter took him up, and nourished him for her own son. 22 And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds. 23 And when he was full forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his brethren the children of Israel. 24 And seeing one of them suffer wrong, he defended him, and avenged him that was oppressed, and smote the Egyptian: 25 For he supposed his brethren would have understood how that God by his hand would deliver them: but they understood not. 26 And the next day he showed himself unto them as they strove, and would have set them at one again, saying, Sirs, ye are brethren; why do ye wrong one to another? 27 But he that did his neighbour wrong thrust him away, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge over us? 28 Wilt thou kill me, as thou diddest the Egyptian yesterday? 29 Then fled Moses at this saying, and was a stranger in the land of Madian, where he begat two sons. 30 And when forty years were expired, there appeared to him in the wilderness of mount Sina an angel of the Lord in a flame of fire in a bush. 31 When Moses saw it, he wondered at the sight: and as he drew near to behold it, the voice of the Lord came unto him, 32 Saying, I am the God of thy fathers, the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. Then Moses trembled, and durst not behold. 33 Then said the Lord to him, Put off thy shoes from thy feet: for the place where thou standest is holy ground. 34 I have seen, I have seen the affliction of my people which is in Egypt, and I have heard their groaning, and am come down to deliver them. And now come, I will send thee into Egypt.
35 This Moses whom they refused, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge? the same did God send to be a ruler and a deliverer by the hand of the angel which appeared to him in the bush. 36 He brought them out, after that he had showed wonders and signs in the land of Egypt, and in the Red sea, and in the wilderness forty years. 37 This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear. 38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us: 39 To whom our fathers would not obey, but thrust him from them, and in their hearts turned back again into Egypt, 40 Saying unto Aaron, Make us gods to go before us: for as for this Moses, which brought us out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him. 41 And they made a calf in those days, and offered sacrifice unto the idol, and rejoiced in the works of their own hands. 42 Then God turned, and gave them up to worship the host of heaven; as it is written in the book of the prophets, O ye house of Israel, have ye offered to me slain beasts and sacrifices by the space of forty years in the wilderness? 43 Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of Moloch, and the star of your god Remphan, figures which ye made to worship them: and I will carry you away beyond Babylon. 44 Our fathers had the tabernacle of witness in the wilderness, as he had appointed, speaking unto Moses, that he should make it according to the fashion that he had seen. 45 Which also our fathers that came after brought in with Jesus into the possession of the Gentiles, whom God drove out before the face of our fathers, unto the days of David; 46 Who found favor before God, and desired to find a tabernacle for the God of Jacob. 47 But Solomon built him an house. 48 Howbeit the most High dwells not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet, 49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest? 50 Hath not my hand made all these things? 51 Ye stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye. 52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which showed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers: 53 Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it. 54 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth. (Acts 7:1-54 KJV)

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
51 Ye stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye. 52 Which of the prophets have not your fathers persecuted? and they have slain them which showed before of the coming of the Just One; of whom ye have been now the betrayers and murderers: 53 Who have received the law by the disposition of angels, and have not kept it. 54 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth

He showed them how graciously God dealt with the israelites and how stuborn and hard hearted they were, in not recognising the messiah.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I believe this is the thesis:

Ye stiff-necked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

The rest of it is, for the most part, irrefutable recounting of what they already knew.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
48 Howbeit the most High dwells not in temples made with hands
The speech was a wrecking ball against the Jew's besetting sin, religious pride - God's chosen people, and all that (cf Jn 6). First he details how God chose, favored, and was far so long faithful to the nation of Israel. He is setting them up. Then he abruptly turns and profanes the Temple and recalls the nation's continual faithlessness. IOW, the Jews need a Savior just like everyone else does, and they cannot rely on their traditions, or even their Temple - which will soon come down, though they don't know it - to carry them through.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Until today, I had always found Stephen's point in his speech to be rather difficult to make out. I'm now curious to see what others would say is Stephen's driving point in the speech he gave before the Sanhedrin in Acts 7.

I will paste it out here in the KJV, although anyone who wishes to post another translation is certainly welcome to do so:
My 2 cents:
http://bcbsr.com/books/acts7a.html

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He showed them how graciously God dealt with the israelites and how stuborn and hard hearted they were, in not recognising the messiah.
I believe this is the thesis: (V.51)
The speech was a wrecking ball against the Jew's besetting sin, religious pride

Thanks for everyone's responses. All of them apply in some sense. For me personally, I think nonaeroterraqueous hit it square on the head. Stephen went back to the start of Israel as a nation, with the intent of demonstrating how God ultimately wanted His holy people to become a Living Temple not made by hands (v.48). His driving point was that the Holy Spirit had now been poured out upon the church, yet the priests, the scribes and the Pharisees had not received the Spirit of God, refusing to become a part of the True temple because they had no ears to hear. They were instead "stiff-necked, and uncircumcised in heart and ears, and always resisting the Holy Spirit."

This speech was taking place in the earthly temple they prided themselves in, yet the Holy Spirit was no longer presiding there as before. He now dwelt within the believers, and clearly within Stephen, who was described as being "full of faith and power, and did great wonders and miracles among the people" (Acts 6:8)

I suppose a secondary question would be what are the implications for us today.

Thanks again for the good responses.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi HIH,

Personally, I don't have any problem with the content of Stephen's words. I just wonder how many people think that he really talked like that.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

LoL. T'would appear thou hast a problem with King Jimmy?

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

The situation started in chapter 6:7-15. Stephen was arrested according to the testimony of false witnesses who before the Sanhedrin claimed that Stephen was teaching that Yeshua was going to destroy the temple and would transform the customs that Moses had brought forth. So the Sanhedrin looked at him and asked, "is this true?"

I think Stephen's driving point was to remind them they were not keeping Torah as God had instructd through Moses. He reminded them of how their Patriarchs had been called and blessed by God and how they had been treated by the people God had sent them to. Here the Sanhedrin were sitting in judgement of everyone else around them, yet they themselves were not keeping the instructions that God had given them. Just like their fathers before them they had killed the prophets and they had killed the Righteous One who had come as promised. Stephen told them they had uncircumcised hearts and were murderers. For that culture, it was quite an insult. They were well schooled in Torah but they went through the motions out of duty not out of love.

Obviously the answer to their question "is this true" was no, since Stephen had just went through all the glorious things that God had done for their Patriarchs, one of them being the giving of the "law/instructions" then ending with showing them their hypocracy because they themselves did not even keep it.

Bottom line: While God expects action, it's pointless without our hearts being involved as well.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The situation started in chapter 6:7-15. Stephen was arrested according to the testimony of false witnesses who before the Sanhedrin claimed that Stephen was teaching that Yeshua was going to destroy the temple and would transform the customs that Moses had brought forth. So the Sanhedrin looked at him and asked, "is this true?"

This part is accurate, and I fully agree. :oldthumbsup:
I think Stephen's driving point was to remind them they were not keeping Torah as God had instructd through Moses. He reminded them of how their Patriarchs had been called and blessed by God and how they had been treated by the people God had sent them to. Here the Sanhedrin were sitting in judgement of everyone else around them, yet they themselves were not keeping the instructions that God had given them. Just like their fathers before them they had killed the prophets and they had killed the Righteous One who had come as promised. Stephen told them they had uncircumcised hearts and were murderers. For that culture, it was quite an insult. They were well schooled in Torah but they went through the motions out of duty not out of love.

Obviously the answer to their question "is this true" was no, since Stephen had just went through all the glorious things that God had done for their Patriarchs, one of them being the giving of the "law/instructions" then ending with showing them their hypocracy because they themselves did not even keep it.

Bottom line: While God expects action, it's pointless without our hearts being involved as well.

Now this part I would personally take to be a bit of a generalization. Not greatly, but I think his focus went beyond merely obedience to the Torah. Stephen emphasized their rebellion to the prophets especially, just as their fathers had done before them, so this was more about their reactions to what God was revealing to them prophetically, yet they were not being receptive to it. The time when the temple not made with hands had come, yet they were rebelling against this revelation, and refusing to acknowledge it as the truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
This part is accurate, and I fully agree. :oldthumbsup:

Now this part I would personally take to be a bit of a generalization. Not greatly, but I think his focus went beyond merely obedience to the Torah. Stephen emphasized their rebellion to the prophets especially, just as their fathers had done before them, so this was more about their reactions to what God was revealing to them prophetically, yet they were not being receptive to it. The time when the temple not made with hands had come, yet they were rebelling against this revelation, and refusing to acknowledge it as the truth.
Well, I tend to get too involved in describing things so I was trying to keep it to a minimum. :)

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Wick Stick

Jul 11, 2018
PHOENIX
✟16,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Stephen's driving point is that their religion is false, an invention of their own, and God forsook the temple cult before it even existed. This is accomplished by drawing a comparison between the current religious leaders, and those leaders at the time Moses went up Sinai to receive the Law.

Up to verse 41 is simply a recap of Jewish history up to the point of the Golden Calf incident. Verse 42 is the thesis statement - God gave them up to worship other gods. After that Stephen piles on. The tabernacle is not the tabernacle of the Lord, it is the tabernacle of Moloch (a pagan god). The nation's symbol is not the star of Solomon, but the star of Remphan (another pagan god). The temple was not sanctioned by God. God doesn't live in temples. Their fathers murdered the prophets. The whole country from its inception has been corrupt, and they are no better.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="Hidden In Him, post: 72940053, member: 394216"]This part is accurate, and I fully agree.
Now this part I would personally take to be a bit of a generalization. Not greatly, but I think his focus went beyond merely obedience to the Torah. Stephen emphasized their rebellion to the prophets especially, just as their fathers had done before them, so this was more about their reactions to what God was revealing to them prophetically, yet they were not being receptive to it. The time when the temple not made with hands had come, yet they were rebelling against this revelation, and refusing to acknowledge it as the truth.[/QUOTE
As Jesus pointed out often,
as Yahweh pointed out often,
it was not "revelation" Yahweh's people rebelled against -
With a rebellious heart against Yahweh, they disobeyed TORAH.

Same TODAY. (re >

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As Jesus pointed out often,
as Yahweh pointed out often,
it was not "revelation" Yahweh's people rebelled against -
With a rebellious heart against Yahweh, they disobeyed TORAH.

Jeff, I don't have time to go round and round, but up until the time of Christ the command of Torah WAS to understand Him as present in the temple at Jerusalem, and therefore honor the temple as such. To say it was not now a revelation that He was dwelling amongst men instead in a temple not made by hands, (including even amongst the Gentiles soon), is to stretch things in my opinion.

But again, I suppose we should agree to disagree.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Jeff, I don't have time to go round and round, but up until the time of Christ the command of Torah WAS to understand Him as present in the temple at Jerusalem, and therefore honor the temple as such. To say it was not now a revelation that He was dwelling amongst men instead in a temple not made by hands, (including even amongst the Gentiles soon), is to stretch things in my opinion.

But again, I suppose we should agree to disagree.
No. As it is , we do not agree to disagree, and cannot.
Look all through all Scripture - those who rebelled against TORAH, from Genesis thru Revelation.
See how many time "TORAH" is IN the New Testament (MORE than in the OT, and over 100 times) .

See in the NT what happens to the one (or those) who become distant from TORAH.

It is good when TORAH is used properly. (as written in Scripture)
As written, TORAH leads to Christ.

Jesus and those trained by Jesus proved Jesus is Messiah from TORAH, PROPHETS and PSALMS (the Tanakh).
Not even Jesus proved Jesus is Messiah from a "revelation".

So back to topic/ thread - Stephen's speech was perfect, a revelation...er... proof! of Jesus Messiah from TORAH....
and
Jesus Stood watching and perfectly aware as Stephen was stoned to death.
he was stoned to death

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The Jews did not recognise Jesus as their saviour and today people do not recognise Jesus as their saviour, worse the west is rapidly abandoning the morality and human rights that are based on Christianity and are applying arbitary rules to morality and rights.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The stoning of Stephen after his speech in Acts is a tragic event [and also where my bro Saul/Paul is first introduced].
I actually created a thread some yrs back on it:

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/stoning-of-stephen-against-the-law.6719420/

John 18:31
Pilate is then saying to them: "Be taking Him ye, and according to the Law of ye, judge! ".
The Judeas said to him: "to-us not is permitted to put to death no-one".

Acts 7:
1 And the high priest said, "Are these things so"?...........
54 Now when they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed upon him with their teeth.
59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon and saying, "Lord Jesus, receive the spirit of me".

This appears to be a type of stoning in Revelation if I am not mistaken?

Revelation 16:21
and hail, great as talent weight is descending out of the sky upon the men
and the men blaspheme the God out of the stripe/blow of the hail,
that great is the stripe/blow of her, tremendous. [Isaiah 28:17,18]

http://www.bible.ca/pre-destruction70AD-george-holford-1805AD.htm
*snip*

It could be literal in the sense of large stones launched from catapaults, as Josephus describes concerning the destruction of Jerusalem.

As a consequence, the legions were able to build their redoubts almost without any trouble; soon, their catapults started to throw heavy stones into the City.
Under cover of this artillery fire, the Roman soldiers could start to bash the northern wall with their battering-rams.

Reactions: LLoJ
Upvote 0