marco56

May 9, 2011
✟7,614.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello

My wife and I are cradle Catholics who have been unhappy for a long time in the Catholic Church. We are not some uninformed Catholics making a rash decision but a couple who have studied and researched the Catholic Church for over 25 years. We clearly understand Catholic teaching and tradition but find it in conflict to the Lord Jesus teachings.

Now that we have left we are having a tough time finding the right fit. We are Bible believing Christians who are staunch Pro-Life advocates and support traditional marriage. That being said, we also disagree with a political philosophy which chooses to condone pre-emptive war, a willingness to allow large numbers of our citizens to go without good healthcare and an " Every person for themselves" mentality.

I guess we are both Conservative and Progressive, Democrat and Republican, Liturgical and Evangelical. Bottom line is we want to love, serve and continue to learn about the Lord. We want to do this while following the words and spirit of the Bible.

Any suggestions on where to find a Church that would be a fit for a couple with our mix of values would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless,

Marco

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello

My wife and I are cradle Catholics who have been unhappy for a long time in the Catholic Church. We are not some uninformed Catholics making a rash decision but a couple who have studied and researched the Catholic Church for over 25 years. We clearly understand Catholic teaching and tradition but find it in conflict to the Lord Jesus teachings.

Now that we have left we are having a tough time finding the right fit. We are Bible believing Christians who are staunch Pro-Life advocates and support traditional marriage. That being said, we also disagree with a political philosophy which chooses to condone pre-emptive war, a willingness to allow large numbers of our citizens to go without good healthcare and an " Every person for themselves" mentality.

I guess we are both Conservative and Progressive, Democrat and Republican, Liturgical and Evangelical. Bottom line is we want to love, serve and continue to learn about the Lord. We want to do this while following the words and spirit of the Bible.

Any suggestions on where to find a Church that would be a fit for a couple with our mix of values would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless,

Marco

Sounds like you're still Catholic as far as most of your social values go. You could try the Old Catholics. They tend to be more liberal on certain doctrine.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've been a member of the C&MA church for a long time, and, at least my particular church, is very focused on things like that. You might consider that if you want.

C&MA is definitely not liturgical though. Nor do they believe in sacraments.

I had suggested a Lutheran church in another thread.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,150,807.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Hello

God Bless,

Marco

It depends upon whether you want a church where everyone agrees with you.

One approach would be an evangelical church that is progressive politically. While unusual, the combination does exist.

The liberal denominations often have conservative congregations. I know the PCUSA best, but the same would be true of other mainline churches as well. Those congregations might well agree with you on abortion and conservative "family values", which still being more progressive in other areas.

The more typical mainline churches will tend to be progressive in all areas, but they typically allow a fair amount of variation. So while they may not be uniformly "pro-life" or conservative on families, they will be happy to have such members, and most congregations will have some.

Upvote 0

Rao

Candlecaster
Sep 24, 2009
✟7,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello

God Bless,

Marco

Marco, why do you absolutely need to pick a church? Are you afraid that just because you don't give yourself an official label you are somewhat "alone"? You're not...

For rites and celebrations, I think you can just keep going to your Catholic churches, it doesn't make a huge difference. Or you can visit multiple other churches now and then, most confessions don't ask you for your ID to join a Mass.

About your ideas, the best thing you can do to yourselves is keep thinking, keep discussing between you & wife and whoever else is open to talking, and strive to listen to your consciences. Forcibly join a church may be even detrimental if you have a history of discomfort with your previous one, because most if not all "clubs" naturally tend to force members to comply.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
We clearly understand Catholic teaching and tradition but find it in conflict to the Lord Jesus teachings.
Yes, many traditions clearly contradict the Word of God, give evidence to the workings of the enemy as prophesied by the Word of God, and as they are often inaccurate, will not have the signs following of the life the Holy Spirit brings to those who preach the Word as it is set forth, among those who embrace it whole heartedly.

Now that we have left we are having a tough time finding the right fit. We are Bible believing Christians who are staunch Pro-Life advocates and support traditional marriage.
There is a real crisis in denominational churches where many support gay marriage, gay ministers, etc. Most of the "church" supports pro life. All of those adhering to the dictates of the Head certainly support pro life.

That being said, we also disagree with a political philosophy which chooses to condone pre-emptive war, a willingness to allow large numbers of our citizens to go without good healthcare and an " Every person for themselves" mentality.
While their are many views regarding the role of America as one who was been given much (and much required to preserve liberty), and the perspective of our need to be involved in every conflict in the world (i.e., Libya), most churches are probably reluctant to promote a political agenda (rightly so). People can have strong beliefs and belong to most any church.

Catholics have "dogma" where you have to believe certain things to be in fellowship. Many Catholics are "under cover" in this respect. In one sense that is deception. Paul "became" as those he preached to. (Notice he was the seeking to convert, not just submitting to the Law again.) Their is nothing more freeing than finding a Christ centered, Holy Spirit guided, Bible believing church. Believe God to draw you to one as you pray and ask about this. Understand that the enemy would seek to draw you into tradition (often exchanging one for another). Judge all services by the fruits (not the people, the peace and love). Even cults project "peace and love" so make sure it is really the fruit of the Holy Spirit, not just people being nice and saying they're following the Word.

Declare your faith out loud in your prayer!
God will send us to the church He wants us to attend. Get the angels working on your behalf by speaking forth your faith and not doubt.

I attend a non-denominational charismatic church, where traditions typically go out the window. God will give you the heart to attend where He wants you to, even if they have some faults (mine does too, but nothing like the tradition I came out of). Although we are to fellowship among the brethren of like mind, we are the "church", not the building. Christ is the Head and He will speak to your hearts and give you your primary leadership (the most freeing thing of all) NOT the church (some earthly head). If the church is walking according to the dictates of the Head, their should be agreement and people not seeking their own (including the leadership). Jesus is Lord!

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty!

A great step for you to leave your church, where the fruits were lacking. The most freeing thing I have found is the ability to have total and complete forgiveness of sins without any man or minister praying for me. Their is a place for confessing sins one to another and praying for each other (as in James). But you can receive complete and total forgiveness by your own prayer. Have faith in it! I was backslidden for years and committed many sins and God received me back without going and explaining anything to anyone.

Not everyone can believe that due to the "programming" of their traditions. God places no such "fences" around His sheep.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
It's interesting hearing people mention sacraments. Realistically, the observance of water baptism and communion, the prayer of faith by the elders to bless and or raise the sick ones is performed by most churches. The latter being the stumbling block of some who do not have faith (not knowing the will of God). Those who are hearing from God will more a greater success in the latter.

All churches believe in prayer and the ones who place an emphasis on walking in covenant relationship with God, endeavoring to fulfill His Word are blessed indeed. A solid Bible believing, Holy Spirit led church, will walk in what some churches call sacraments. It will be God honoring His Word that gives them the meaning God intends (not a unique empowerment by a minister). The church is empowered as a whole, as well as those who minister in the anointing to serve the body at large. It is God who wants to minister to His Body. Jesus adorns His church and washes it with the water of the Word, endeavoring to present it as a spotless bride. Only God will do this, but He does it willingly and we only need to esteem the anointing to reap the rewards of it, whether in each other, or in the five fold ministry. A prophet's reward from the prophet, etc. If you have no prophets, how will you reap a prophet's reward? Be open to receiving and despise not prophecy. If you go somewhere where they tell you that prophecy has ceased, how can you benefit from it? The Lord's present day speaking is vital to the church. The greater the fulfillment of the will of God and His Word will give you a greater satisfaction inside, literally feeding from the finest wheat.

We can reap the reward of regarding God's holy Word, which was given to us prophetically, but God is still speaking to His church, both in hearts of those of those faithful sheep who have ears to hear truth (by His voice) and all the more so in the leadership of those who walk in the anointing providing specific instruction for His beloved bride through those in ministry (to the church).

It is important to discern the difference from "religion" that primarily ministers tradition and form (that does not satisfy), and "relationship" that ministers grace, liberty, faith, and life. God will honor the request of those seeking the church He wants them in. Pray it out loud in faith: "God will lead me to the church He desires me to attend with a supernatural drawing. Angels are working to draw me and to make for circumstances that I know not, to connect me with divine connections". "This will be accomplished completely by grace. I shall never be the same."

Understand that the enemy will try and answer this prayer too, but don't speak against it and don't speak as though you have questions. Speak as though the petition was submitted and answered, and from the rest of grace and a desire to do His will, acknowledge with your lips that He works even now to answer your righteous heart's desire. You'll know by the peace as you step forward in faith. Amen!

Discord on the inside? Watch out and move away. It is possible to have peace in your heart and be uneasy in your mind. Have faith and just go with your heart and keep acknowledging that this is being performed for you, completely from the rest of faith. Thank God for it whenever you think about it! Be mindful of the life and death in the tongue and choose life and stay in faith, in His grace.

Reactions: RuthD
Upvote 0

marco56

May 9, 2011
✟7,614.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just checking back in for anyone who may care. My wife and I are still searching but we have found 2 churches that we really enjoy. One is a very large, but extremely friendly, Non-Denominational Church.

The other is a small Anglican Church. This option is 'Catholic" without the man made rules and superstitions.

Both nice, both Bible Based.

Thank you for all of your responses.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just checking back in for anyone who may care. My wife and I are still searching but we have found 2 churches that we really enjoy. One is a very large, but extremely friendly, Non-Denominational Church.

The other is a small Anglican Church. This option is 'Catholic" without the man made rules and superstitions.

Both nice, both Bible Based.

Thank you for all of your responses.

We DO appreciate you reporting back. As an Anglican, and because there aren't many of us in the USA, I'm naturally curious as to which Anglican jurisdiction that church is...if you'd feel comfortable divulging it. Or do you mean a parish of The Episcopal Church?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kql314

Mar 6, 2011
✟15,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You mentioned that both are Bible-believing... That has always been a pet-peeve of mine. Aren't all (Christian) churches "Bible believing"? Are there are that you have been to that do not read out of and preach the Bible? Catholic churches do as well, as you surely know.

Best of luck to you on the journey and search!
God Bless,

Ken L.
co-author, "Top Ten Most Influential Christians"

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
You mentioned that both are Bible-believing... That has always been a pet-peeve of mine. Aren't all (Christian) churches "Bible believing"?
All churches are not Bible believing. How many gay ministers or bishops are their in some denominations? The Bible is very clear about same sex unions being an abomination.

Typically, a "Bible believing" church (who states so), relies on the Word of God as the final authority. Many churches like Catholics (to be frank), allow the Magisterium or tradition or even the Pope to interpret things that seem to contradict what the Word clearly says. A Bible believing church (as they represent themselves) believes the Bible is the inspired Word of God, and tradition cannot update or interpret it in such a way as to make it of none effect.

I'm not pointing any fingers here, but how many last days scriptures about what was going to happen to the church has literally happened, and yet when confronted with these very scriptures, church leadership "interprets" these passages in a way that allows for their continued clear contradiction.

So, the deception spoken of continues just as it was written. The things mentioned as going to happen in the last days (which we clearly are in) are the very things we need to distance ourselves from, not excuse ourselves of.

A "Word" church, will want to line themselves up with what it says over any contradiction of tradition, no matter how compelling. It is true that these "Bible" churches vary in interpreting doctrine, but it is important to have the emphasis on the inspired Word and not tradition.

So, it really is a healthy thing to declare, not something to be offended about.

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
All churches are not Bible believing. How many gay ministers or bishops are their in some denominations? The Bible is very clear about same sex unions being an abomination.

Improper interpretation of the Bible.

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
Improper interpretation of the Bible.

Seconded. Plus 'Bible believing' often seems to me to be an excuse to put your own peculiar interpretation of the Bible onto a pedestal and worship that.

In fact, I would suggest that the fundamentalist interpretation of scripture is just as much of 'man-made tradition' as anything you'll find in a Roman Catholic church.

Upvote 0
W

winifred

Hello

God Bless,

Marco
--------------------------------
'That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you,
that ye also may have fellowship with us:
and truly our fellowship is with the Father,
and with his Son Jesus Christ.'
(1 John 1:3)

Hi Marco,

It is a joy to hear that you and your wife have studied the Word of God and have used that Word as the arbitur in regard to doctrine and worship.

Through faith in the all-sufficient sacrifice of God's beloved Son, you have been brought into fellowship with the Father and the Son by means of the Holy Spirit, praise God, Whose new nature indwells you. That fellowship is the most important thing, and anything that would mar that fellowship, either from the pulpit or in form of worship cannot be right.

We also worship 'in spirit and in truth' (John 4:23,24) and our worship is inward, it is a communion which is from the heart. 'Making melody in our heart to the Lord'. This communion is shared with others through the love of the Spirit which comes from above.

If you know the Lord Jesus Christ as your Saviour and Lord, and you have the Word of God as your guide. Then all you are looking for is a social outlet, and a means of sharing the Lord Jesus Christ with others - and where that is concerned - the Lord with provide.

Trust Him.

With love in Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.

Winnie

(Eph.1 :1-7)

Last edited:
Upvote 0