Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone have an idea why human beings of certain sects or groups began to see masturbation as a bad thing, from an evolutionary biological perspective?

I believe evolutionary biology is the reason for a lot of our desires and choices, so why (if it does) cause some people to think they should not touch? Does it connect it with promiscuity and the tendency to not have stable relationships?

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Right but I think biology often acts according to the culture and society its within.

Well I'll look into it. I gotta tell ya though I'm not looking forward to the Google searches.

Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My Facebook friends have some brilliant things to say on this, I hope the link works.

These two statements really stood out.

"I think you may be looking at this from the wrong angle. The existence of taboos against masturbation are not likely the result of evolutionary forces acting on humans; rather more likely they are the result of evolutionary forces acting on the belief systems themselves.

Taboos against masturbation are powerful tools of psychological manipulation, and belief systems that have tools like that in their wheelhouse are more likely to "survive" (ie have people believe in them) and "reproduce" (ie have people transmit the belief system to others). Masturbation is something that the vast majority of people enjoy doing and that is underpinned by a biological drive. If a belief system can attach a sense of guilt to something with a near 100% probability that people will do, it creates a built in need for forgiveness. Feel guilty for natural urge based on belief system then belief system is right there to forgive your guilt.

It's weird when you first think about it, but after you do it makes a lot of sense.

Scientists who study cultural transmission of ideas even borrow terminology from evolutionary biology to help explain how cultural ideas pass through generations and "mutate" over time
"

and

"The root of western culture's shaming of touching yourself comes from the ancient jewish people's issues: they were a very small group and they wanted to be bigger so the rabbis told everyone it was against god's wishes to spill their seed- it could only be used to make babies. This was then written down, the way people use words changed, christianity was born and over time lots of people just copied what they were told as children without really understanding and so on and so on until we got here: completely non jewish people now believe that touching yourself is an "abomination" but they don't realize abomination just means "not part of the jewish way of life" --the stricture against touching yourself was an encouragment by a small population to make like rabbits amd multiply!!"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/binetusa/10153645198095429/?notif_t=group_comment

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
My Facebook friends have some brilliant things to say on this, I hope the link works.

These two statements really stood out.

"I think you may be looking at this from the wrong angle. The existence of taboos against masturbation are not likely the result of evolutionary forces acting on humans; rather more likely they are the result of evolutionary forces acting on the belief systems themselves.

Taboos against masturbation are powerful tools of psychological manipulation, and belief systems that have tools like that in their wheelhouse are more likely to "survive" (ie have people believe in them) and "reproduce" (ie have people transmit the belief system to others). Masturbation is something that the vast majority of people enjoy doing and that is underpinned by a biological drive. If a belief system can attach a sense of guilt to something with a near 100% probability that people will do, it creates a built in need for forgiveness. Feel guilty for natural urge based on belief system then belief system is right there to forgive your guilt.

It's weird when you first think about it, but after you do it makes a lot of sense.

Scientists who study cultural transmission of ideas even borrow terminology from evolutionary biology to help explain how cultural ideas pass through generations and "mutate" over time
"

and

"The root of western culture's shaming of touching yourself comes from the ancient jewish people's issues: they were a very small group and they wanted to be bigger so the rabbis told everyone it was against god's wishes to spill their seed- it could only be used to make babies. This was then written down, the way people use words changed, christianity was born and over time lots of people just copied what they were told as children without really understanding and so on and so on until we got here: completely non jewish people now believe that touching yourself is an "abomination" but they don't realize abomination just means "not part of the jewish way of life" --the stricture against touching yourself was an encouragment by a small population to make like rabbits amd multiply!!"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/binetusa/10153645198095429/?notif_t=group_comment
Well that's Facebook

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,495.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In males, at least, an avid masturbator apparently has a very much lower risk of prostate cancer.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/844820

I once discussed this with a Catholic priest and his response was "I'm surprised that there is such a thing as prostate cancer."

Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
He would.

I don't think that there even is a Stigma to masturbation attached to religion. Modern dislike of masturbation stems from health from the 19th century, when every kind of illness was linked to masturbation.

Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
He would.

I don't think that there even is a Stigma to masturbation attached to religion. Modern dislike of masturbation stems from health from the 19th century, when every kind of illness was linked to masturbation.

I've witnessed plenty of religious stigma attached to masturbation.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟494,075.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That's not the root of it, though. The modern stigma of masturbation began in health, and religion most likely picked it up when the leaders of religion were shaped by it.

If masturbation was a trait of religion that gave it an advantage, you would see a masturbation stigma in most religions. But you don't.

It's cultural, not religious.

Upvote 0

crjmurray

The Bear. Not The Bull.
Dec 17, 2014
Lake Ouachita
✟16,029.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Reactions: Hikarifuru
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,273.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone have an idea why human beings of certain sects or groups began to see masturbation as a bad thing, from an evolutionary biological perspective?

I believe evolutionary biology is the reason for a lot of our desires and choices, so why (if it does) cause some people to think they should not touch? Does it connect it with promiscuity and the tendency to not have stable relationships?

What is your evidence that masturbation is correlated with promiscuity or the stability of relationships?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PastorFreud

Lie back on the couch.
Oct 25, 2002
✟6,612.00
Faith
Protestant
I fall in the camp with those who think prohibitions against masturbation are blend of cultural and religious practice. In the same texts where we are told how evil it is to spill one's seed, we are also told to burn things with mold. In a world before bleach, burning things with mold was probably a good hygiene practice. There are also, in nearby texts, all kinds of rules about a woman's flow of blood and how she is "unclean" during her time of the month. All of these prohibitions -- don't eat pork, burn mold, don't jerk it - have sex with your wife instead, build a fence on the roof of your house so you don't fall off, etc. are all designed for promoting numerical growth of the society.

Interestingly, some African tribes not exposed to Western religion had practices that encouraged masturbation and promiscuity. I'm not taking the time to find the links, but I think that many ancient cultures had more free expression of sexuality. There was one exception, and I wish I could find it, of a tribal culture that had shame based positions on sex and, predictably, it was a small culture that did not thrive until these views were abandoned.

Upvote 0

Hikarifuru

Shine Bravely
Nov 11, 2013
✟20,553.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What is your evidence that masturbation is correlated with promiscuity or the stability of relationships?

I was just taking a guess, I was thinking that maybe people who do that very much as seen as less loving or loyal partners? I know my exwife was never fond of it.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟327,116.00
Faith
Atheist
I was just taking a guess, I was thinking that maybe people who do that very much as seen as less loving or loyal partners? I know my exwife was never fond of it.
Hmm... there is the possibility that the preferences of your ex-wife aren't a reliable guide to humanity in general.

If I was to guess, I might guess that couples where one or both touch are more likely to remain faithful - having additional sexual release without needing an external partner; but that would just be a guess.

Here is some more informed comment: The Impact of Masturbation on Romantic Relationships. There's plenty more out there if you can use a search engine.

Upvote 0