Washington State, United States
✟16,697.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My answer may be long, saving a spot so I can write and save answers one at a time. :) I'll try to be as detailed as I can. :)
I am wondering someone told me that the bible says the earth is a few thousand years old, not sure if thats true or not though.

As I recall, the concept of a 'young earth', at least as we know it today, is based on adding up the recorded ages of Biblical persons from Adam until the birth of Jesus, then adding the number of years (i.e. 2008) since His birth. Of course, there are gaps in the timeline, since there isn't a complete chronology from Adam to Jesus, so estimates have to be made. This resulted in a variety of suggested dates, ranging from about 6,000 to 10,000 years. The traditional Catholic estimate of the date of Creation was 5199 BC, while the Angelican estimate is 4004 B.C.

However, this all depends on interpeting Genesis as a literal Creation account. While some people might suggest that such is the only proper view, many early Church fathers held the view that it was an allegory (though true theologically in that God did create the universe). Granted, they did believe in a young earth, but a major factor in that is that there was no alternative suggested at the time. Geology simply wasn't advanced enough, and wouldn't be for over a thousand years.

I'll list a few of the allegorical interpetations of Genesis by ancient Christian theologians.

Origen

"For who that has understanding will suppose that the first and second and third day existed without a sun and moon and stars and that the first day was, as it were, also without a sky? . . . I do not suppose that anyone doubts that these things figuratively indicate certain mysteries, the history having taken place in appearance and not literally" (The Fundamental Doctrines 4:1:16 [A.D. 225]).

"And with regard to the creation of the light upon the first day . . . and of the [great] lights and stars upon the fourth . . . we have treated to the best of our ability in our notes upon Genesis, as well as in the foregoing pages, when we found fault with those who, taking the words in their apparent signification, said that the time of six days was occupied in the creation of the world" (Against Celsus, 6:60 [A.D. 248]).

Cyprian

"The first seven days in the divine arrangement contain seven thousand years" (Treatises 11:11 [A.D. 250]).

Saint Augustine of Hippo

"It not infrequently happens that something about the earth, about the sky, about other elements of this world, about the motion and rotation or even the magnitude and distances of the stars, about definite eclipses of the sun and moon, about the passage of years and seasons, about the nature of animals, of fruits, of stones, and of other such things, may be known with the greatest certainty by reasoning or by experience, even by one who is not a Christian. It is too disgraceful and ruinous, though, and greatly to be avoided, that he [the non-Christian] should hear a Christian speaking so idiotically on these matters, and as if in accord with Christian writings, that he might say that he could scarcely keep from laughing when he saw how totally in error they are. In view of this and in keeping it in mind constantly while dealing with the book of Genesis, I have, insofar as I was able, explained in detail and set forth for consideration the meanings of obscure passages, taking care not to affirm rashly some one meaning to the prejudice of another and perhaps better explanation" (The Literal Interpretation of Genesis 1:19–20 [A.D. 408]).

"[A]t least we know that it [the Genesis creation day] is different from the ordinary day with which we are familiar" (The Literal Interpretation of Genesis 5:2 [A.D. 408]).

Justin Martyr

"For as Adam was told that in the day he ate of the tree he would die, we know that he did not complete a thousand years [Gen. 5:5]. We have perceived, moreover, that the expression ‘The day of the Lord is a thousand years’ [Ps. 90:4] is connected with this subject" (Dialogue with Trypho the Jew 81 [A.D. 155]).

So basically: The Bible does not state that the Earth is young. That idea is based upon one of several possible interpetations, and many early church fathers, among them saints, believed Genesis was at least somewhat allegorical rather then fully literal. It's certainly open to discussion, but the Bible doesn't say it is young or isn't young. I personally believe in a old earth, based on geological and astronomical observations.

Do you believe in Evolution, please answer yes and no I would like to tally up the opinions

Honestly? I don't personally care too much. My 'origin of the universe' view on my profile states as much, in that it says "Why does it matter what process God used?". If you truely want my personal opinion, however, I believe that Evolution is by far the most logical explanion as well as being the one that is most supported by science. I have seen a woeful lack of genuine evidence for Creationism, the majority of their efforts seem to be centered on attacking Evolution rather then supporting Creationism. This is quite possibly because their is little support for Creationism, but if one works from the position that Creationism is the only Biblical possibility, naturally that would be all the support some Christians would need.

My main issue here is that Creationism has not made a logical case that would cause me to consider it as a legitimate scientific theory. Evolution, on the other hand, while far from perfect, is well supported and certainly does allow for the possibility of a God guiding the process.

So, if you want a real answer, :p Thiestic Evolution seems to be the most logical position to me.

Also please give your thoughts on why you think its real or not

Honestly, someone else could probably explain this better than I can.

Let me put it this way - There are lots of reasons, which, while they make sense, I probably will do a poor job of explaining. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I am wondering someone told me that the bible says the earth is a few thousand years old, not sure if thats true or not though.

Do you believe in Evolution, please answer yes and no I would like to tally up the opinions

Evolution represents the best scientific explanation for the diversity and interrelationship of life on the planet.

The bible isn't concerned with the age of the earth or the physical mechanisms of it's creation, but with the relationships between God, creation, and us. With what is wrong with creation that causes all the suffering and with what God is doing through us to put it right.

Upvote 0

Angeloffire

Son of God
Jul 21, 2008
Visit site
✟8,325.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I do not believe in evolution and even the scientific community has been trying to get it out of the school system as they know it is very flawed.

No where is it supported in scripture, plus God just doesn't work that way.

For example: the coin in the fishes mouth....God can create on the spot....he is the source of all creation and doesn't need a million years to get something made.

When someone gets healed, it is usually instant. I've seen God grow a body part out....He doesn't need anyone but Himself to create and can do it at will.

There is evidence of lakes on Mars. It is plain to see that there is much that the bible does not cover, but that doesn't mean God is not the Creator.

How many times has he used the earth? The bible says that when He is done this time that he will make an new heaven and a new earth.....

He is pure Wisdom, Knowledge, and Science and without even one errored thought.....how awesome is that?!

Upvote 0

MrDave

May 14, 2007
✟15,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not believe in MACRO EVOLUTION, the basic teaching that NOTHING PLUS NOBODY PLUS TIME BECAME ALL WE SEE. I do believe in micro evolution, since evolution basically means CHANGE. Hey I'm evolving into an old man. I'm one day older then yesterday.

I totally disagree with those who say EVOLUTION is the best scientific explanation for what we see. Science gives only gives evidence, it's how it's interpreted. The same evidence is being interpreted differently.

I believe in a literal Genesis. A day is a 24 hour day. There are no gaps in the recorded genealogies. See Jude where Jude calls Enoch the seventh from Adam. Now if I were to think there are some gaps, then I would have to question that the BIBLE is the INSPIRED word of God. In Genesis it says there were ten generation from Adam to Noah, then there were 14 generation from Noah to Abraham and then there were 14 generations from Abraham to David and 14 from David to Babylon and from Babylon to Christ 14 generations. God in the NEW TESTAMENT gives a very clear timeline and dating method. If you can't accept it as true then what in the Bible can be considered unquestionable? If God got it wrong in Genesis then how do I know He got it right someplace else? As God said to Job, God says to you...."where you there?". Was Darwin, Huxley, Dawkins,etc and anyone who believes in millions of years?

Evolution is a theory in ever increasing jeopady, and Christians need to start showing some FAITH IN GOD and HIS WORD even when it's does not fit with science. Come on, the virgin birth doesn't fit with any science either. Donkey's talking, people walking on water, Red Sea parting, raising people from dead, etec. etc. Evolutionist all laugh at that too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I
Yes, I DO believe in Evolution, and millions others also do!

:clap: :thumbsup::clap:

The outside-world of the USA is such a wonder!

:wave: :) :wave:

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I, too, do not believe that the Theory of Evolution interprets best the evidence science provides us on the matter of the history of the species of the Earth.

When science show us the production of new genetic information (which is essential to the idea of the evolution of the species), I'll pay the Theory of Evolution closer attention.

Peace.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Many people think that the bible says that, but the actual words of the text don't demand that conclusion.

Yes, but I'm not emotionally attached to that answer.

Evolution seems to fit the all of the evidence we have, there's nothing in the theory that violates any laws of physics, and it doesn't actually contradict Sacred Scripture.

But it's not a very big issue for me, and I've stopped worrying about it.

Upvote 0

Rattus58

Dec 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟15,443.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I believe in Intelligent Design and that EVOLUTION is the showcase for Intelligent Design. Evolution doesn't have any real foundation without Intelligent Design. To at all expect life evolved one critter at a time is a preposterous assumption.... just think about it some... the species morphing from land to flight.... how did that happen without design... there had to be purpose to change, and this is evidenced by how perfect change has been... and the complete lack of "transitory" fossils along the way... because if you believed in evolution, there would be millions of discarded mutations. Intelligence drives life, whether a tomato or a human.

Aloha... :cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JTT

Oct 30, 2015
✟7,635.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I do not believe the earth is only 6-10,000 years old. I believe that the big bang and God's creation can go hand in hand. As for evolution.. why can't this also go along with God? Things change all the time, including our own DNA, this is evolving correct?

Upvote 0

JTT

Oct 30, 2015
✟7,635.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Wow, old Zombie Thread.
OP was 2008, and hasn't been back since Nov 15, 2008

Ha ha interesting. I didn't even pay attention. I am new to this forum and excited to read and get into some conversation in regards to Christianity. :) Thanks for the note.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟392,377.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

JTT

Oct 30, 2015
✟7,635.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0