United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
SackLunch said:
Please, no senseless bashing of the OP. For once, please just answer the question of how your evolutionist beliefs explain how the thumb came about by random chance. :)
I'm sorry Sack, you don't know enough about evolution to ask a relevant question. Evolution doesn't work by random chance, as you've had explained to you many times now. Please, instead of pretending to be something you aren't... just admit that if it's not in the Bible you don't have the slightest clue.

Upvote 0

raphael_aa

Wild eyed liberal
Nov 25, 2004
✟9,552.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SackLunch said:
Again, nobody can give me a straight answer here. Rather, I see mostly mocking and hollow attempts to explain something that surely the evolutionary faith should be able to explain.

Now this is an untruth. You were given perfectly reasonable explanations as to why thumbs were selected for in apes. You don't like the explanations which is your perverse privilege. But I don't believe any objective reading of the posts would conclude that you haven't been answered.

May I ask you to post what kind of explanation it is that you do require?

Upvote 0

AnEmpiricalAgnostic

Agnostic by Fact, Atheist by Epiphany
May 25, 2005
South Florida
Visit site
✟18,986.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Since it’s apparently a waste of time to actually respond to you as you have proven that you’re not actually interested in learning, discussing, or debating, I will dissect your posts instead.
SackLunch said:
Again, nobody can give me a straight answer here.
Although the creationist started this thread with a thinly veiled question used as an excuse to evangelize their beliefs, they ended up getting actual answers. Yet still the creationist manages to somehow deny the existence of the answers and claim that their initial hope has been achieved. The cognitive dissonance displayed is magnificent. This creature stands as a true testament to stubbornness and denial. Simply Remarkable.

SackLunch said:
Rather, I see mostly mocking and hollow attempts to explain something that surely the evolutionary faith should be able to explain.
In addition to denial, the creationist pays up to the stereotype of the persecuted theist and overemphasizes any responses that do not answer his query in a sterile manner. Some experts say this gives the creationist the feeling of justification they need in order to maintain such a high level of cognitive dissonance.

SackLunch said:
Oh well - again, takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to simply accept the truth that God created the universe and the human race directly and instantaneously...
In failing to achieve their goals, the creationist offers up a smoke screen to distract from the fact that their initial plan has failed miserably. The tactic used here is commonly observed while monitoring the subject in an environment such as this. Here the creationist performs the “hand wave” tactic and changes the subject to his opponent’s views while projecting their own shortcomings about their beliefs onto their opponent.

Join us next time when we may study the creationists new adapted debate strategy of spamming and running. This technique is though to stem from the saying “a fool can ask more questions than a thousand wise men can answer”. Thank you for tuning in. Goodnight.

Upvote 0

futzman

Jul 26, 2005
✟771.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Libertarian
SackLunch said:
Again, nobody can give me a straight answer here. Rather, I see mostly mocking and hollow attempts to explain something that surely the evolutionary faith should be able to explain.

Oh well - again, takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to simply accept the truth that God created the universe and the human race directly and instantaneously...:)

The principle of feedback driving evolution is not mocking nor a hollow attempt to explain the thumb. It's how evolution works. It applies to every aspect of an organism, so it would be my same answer if you'd said "eye" or "ear" or "foot". You asked for an explanation, I gave you one. Whether you choose to read up a bit and see how feedback causes organisms to evolve or simply remain ignorant from now on is your choice.

Futz (still wondering about those brachiopods...)

Upvote 0

JoshDanger

Aug 9, 2005
✟7,722.00
Faith
Agnostic
SackLunch said:

Oh well - again, takes more faith to believe in evolution than it does to simply accept the truth that God created the universe and the human race directly and instantaneously...:)

Are you daft? This was like, the second reply:

Ledifni said:
Didn't you just answer your own question? If a biological feature makes an organism more capable of survival, then it will be selected for.

Really? So, monkeys don't use their thumbs? Pandas don't use their thumbs? Dogs don't use their dewclaws (which are basically very simple thumbs)? Without intelligence, the thumb would still be a very useful appendage. You might as well say that if we weren't intelligent, we wouldn't know what to use our lungs for.

Why, SackLunch, what ever made you think I'm an "evolutionist?" The "ism" suffix implies a fixed attachment to a particular belief. As a scientist, I would never attach myself to a particular belief about science for fear of blinding myself to other possibilities. Of course, since the Theory of Evolution is so abundantly supported by evidence, and since no other theory of biological origins can claim the same, I don't doubt its truth; but I'm no "evolutionist" any more than I'm a "gravityist."

As for your question, you already answered it above. The thumb increases our survival advantage, and so the mutations that created it were selected for.

Well, that's an easy one! The thumb didn't come about by random chance. Wow, you should really file a complaint against your biology teacher -- I can't imagine how you came to have such a misconception. It's too bad when our education system fails like that, wouldn't you say, SackLunch?

But to correct your misconception, random chance is only a factor in mutation. Mutations, which are random, provide the raw material for evolution. Then the process of natural selection selects from this random material to produce entirely non-random biological features. Simple to understand once it's explained, isn't it?

This is a perfectly reasonable and eloquent answer that should satisfy you.

Upvote 0

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
I'm thoroughly convinced that God gave me a thumb so that I can adequately respond to the low level of logic in the OP and the denial and avoidence of the valid responses given. That and the fact that Sack still thinks evolution is random.

Complaints%20thumbs%20down.jpg

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
SackLunch said:
Quoted for emphasis..

Anyone have an irony meter to spare?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Tomk80 said:
People have told you that apes use thumbs, and shown you pictures of apes having thumbs. So obviously, thumbs can be used without needing a human intelligence. Are you going to retract your obviously false statement or not. If so, we can talk further, if not, why would anyone try?

Quoted for truth.

If the human thumb is some kind of God-given wonder tool, then the ape thumb must be the same, seeing as how they're physically identical.

More evidence that humans are apes.

Upvote 0

seventytwo

Junior Dismember
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
✟7,980.00
Faith
Atheist
Think about it. The human hand has five digits. Four of those digits are fingers, and one is a thumb.

Let's face it. The thumb is weird. It's like a fat little finger that looks out of place, separate from the rest of the fingers. But without the thumb, we would not be able to grasp objects.

Imagine our limitations without that thumb. Our ability to gather food would be limited. Our ability to work would be limited. Human cultural advancement would have been limited. But in my own Christian Creationist view, I believe that God in His infinite wisdom created the thumb because He knew how limited we would be without it. Furthermore, I believe God gave us not only the ability to use the thumb, but He wired our brains to know exactly what to use it for. Just the action of moving the thumb alone entails a number of complex processes. If God hadn't given us this intelligence, we would just have some strange appendage hanging out there that serves no purpose.

So in your evolutionist beliefs, how did the thumb come about?

p.s. Please, no senseless bashing of the OP. For once, please just answer the question of how your evolutionist beliefs explain how the thumb came about by random chance.

Ok guys think about this. I mean, if you really think about you will understand what im saying. Now, the human foot has 5 digits. One of them is a little tiny digit located on the outside region of the foot. Upon this apendage there is a hard surface commonly known as a "toe nail".

Lets face it. The little tiny digit located on the outside region of the foot's (or LTDLORF) toe nail is, for a lack of a less descriptive term, weird. It looks especially weird when women paint their toe nails and only that little speck of color is on the LTDLORF's nail.

Imagine our limiations without the LTDLORF's nail. Women would use slightly less toe nail polish per quarter, causing prices to rise and stocks to fall. Salons would be forced to lay off employees due to the significantly less time required to administer a pedicure. It is my personal belief that we, as humanity have been blessed with this tiny toe nail from the heavens for a reason. And that reason is to keep those Asian pedicurists employed. I believe that not only should we be honored to have been created with such an important apendage, but that our creator understood the socio-economic impact our LTDLORF's nail would have. If the Lord had not been intelligent enough to see the rammifications of this particular nail, we may not have been blessed with the ethnic diversity we see at our local malls today.

So, in your evolutionary beliefs, what is the reason for the LTDLORF's nail?

Reactions: KAG
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SackLunch

Jul 22, 2005
BBQ Heaven: Texas, USA
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
notto said:
I'm thoroughly convinced that God gave me a thumb so that I can adequately respond to the low level of logic in the OP and the denial and avoidence of the valid responses given. That and the fact that Sack still thinks evolution is random.

Complaints%20thumbs%20down.jpg

:D Oh YEAH?? Well SOME PEOPLE have a different opinion...

4%20Thumbs%20Up%204x6%2072%20dpi.jpg

SackLunch - A-OK!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SackLunch

Jul 22, 2005
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
nvxplorer said:
Typical.

Ignore the serious replies, reciprocate the sarcasm, then split.
Oh come on nvexplorer, I was just having fun! I thought that huge thumbs down was pretty funny, along with the zany commentary. Clever indeed. :D

It was time for a humor break anyhow. And on that note, I am signing off and hitting the hay.

Upvote 0

SackLunch

Jul 22, 2005
✟1,884.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
seventytwo said:
You know you like it. And I am quite certain you are wondering about how those thumbs magically got there by natural selection and random chance as opposed to God having put them there and given us the intelligence to use them... ;)

Upvote 0