Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Question: It is said that St. Thomas Aquinas received a revelation that all of his brilliant writings were straw, and he then ceased writing. Does this mean that Catholics should take their doctrines with a dose of salt?

— Art Osten, Fox River Grove, Illinois

Answer: Yes, this story of St. Thomas Aquinas is widely known and shared. It should not be taken to mean that all theological reflection is a waste of time. Rather the story illustrates in a hyperbolic way that God is so much more than our little minds can ever know or describe.

Humility is always required when we consider the things of God. St. Thomas surely knew this and said it often. His teachings are an important guide for the Church, and our doctrines are both necessary and good. They should never be set aside even if God is so much more than our words and “straw” minds can know.

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This is only my speculation, but I wonder if St. Thomas personally experienced infused Gifts of the Spirit in an overwhelming wave, such that the approach of supernatural understanding and knowledge (Isa 11:2-3, CCC 1830-31) caused him to see how in fact trivial is even the best of our natural knowledge and understanding, compared to that which only God can share with us, in HIs Holy Spirit. This Dark Night of the Spirit is a "lesson in humility" that can transform even a so-called brilliant teacher of theology (as St. Thomas was), into a man struck dumb before the Living God, Whom he can only gaze upon in silence.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then, suddenly, he heard a voice, very clear and articulate, coming from the crucifix and speaking to the saint: “You have written well of me, Thomas. What compensation, therefore, would you like to receive for this your work?”
He then heard the saint say in reply. . .

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Question: It is said that St. Thomas Aquinas received a revelation that all of his brilliant writings were straw, and he then ceased writing. Does this mean that Catholics should take their doctrines with a dose of salt?

— Art Osten, Fox River Grove, Illinois

Answer: Yes, this story of St. Thomas Aquinas is widely known and shared. It should not be taken to mean that all theological reflection is a waste of time. Rather the story illustrates in a hyperbolic way that God is so much more than our little minds can ever know or describe.

Humility is always required when we consider the things of God. St. Thomas surely knew this and said it often. His teachings are an important guide for the Church, and our doctrines are both necessary and good. They should never be set aside even if God is so much more than our words and “straw” minds can know.

In some kind of backwards way I always felt Saint Thomas' humility here, knowing that he would lay his head on the tabernacle and ask the Holy Spirit for guidance and that he considered his work straw compared to the greatness of God, just further validated his work to me and proved his understanding of God was the most advanced of anyone since the apostles themselves, or anyone who came after him.

Didn’t Jesus also say, “You have written well of Me Thomas”?

He did! And then he asked Saint Thomas how he would like to be rewarded and that's when Saint Thomas famously said, Domine, non nisi te (Nothing except you Lord).

Upvote 0