Jan 25, 2007
✟19,317.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have always been curious as to how people who don't accept evolution rationalize the fact that they are rejecting the professional opinion of nearly every scientist in a relevant field. Do you really think that you know more about biology than biologists do? Keep in mind that I am not making the argument from authority, any single scientist can be a crank. Rather, I am talking about the consensus of scientific opinion. The occurrance of evolution is scientifically settled, it occurs. It is supported by 140 years of science from all over the world from scientists of different faiths including, *gasp* christians. It is the backbone upon which the modern understanding of biology rests.

Also understand that if you believe that the earth is ten thousand or so years old, you are rejecting nearly everything we currently know about biology, geology, and astronomy. Why don't you just go for broke and deny the existance of the atom? That way you reject everything we know factually about the universe!

Why do you all think you know so much more than all of the experts?

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have always been curious as to how people who don't accept evolution rationalize the fact that they are rejecting the professional opinion of nearly every scientist in a relevant field. Do you really think that you know more about biology than biologists do? Keep in mind that I am not making the argument from authority, any single scientist can be a crank. Rather, I am talking about the consensus of scientific opinion. The occurrance of evolution is scientifically settled, it occurs. It is supported by 140 years of science from all over the world from scientists of different faiths including, *gasp* christians. It is the backbone upon which the modern understanding of biology rests.

Also understand that if you believe that the earth is ten thousand or so years old, you are rejecting nearly everything we currently know about biology, geology, and astronomy. Why don't you just go for broke and deny the existance of the atom? That way you reject everything we know factually about the universe!

Yes, I feel the same way at times. It is unfortunate that many people feel qualified to dispute the findings of professional scientists. It's not their fault entirely; they appeal to the authority of creation "scientists." Of course the problem here is that the creation scientists teach bunk science, and some of them even got their degrees from diploma mills. It is, perhaps, at the feet of these liars that the blame should be laid.

Upvote 0

Shadowsun

Jan 29, 2007
✟7,667.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't care what you believe actually, religion is a free choice. But don't deny scientific evidence, that's like seeing a rock and saying it doesn't exist. I just don't need a God to fill the gaps that science hasn't explained yet. Some people do. No problem. But that DOESN'T gve you an excuse to bury your head in the sand.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

But that's the problem. Most of the time they don't simply say "YEC is true, and I will not look at contrary evidence." Creation scientists invent evidence to support YEC, and many Christians place as much faith in these false academics as they do in Jesus. In effect, many Christians are believing in lies.

Who, by the way, is the father of lies?

Upvote 0
G

GoSeminoles!

It's a combination of creationists' arrogance (to think they know more than the National Academy of Science), ignorance (not knowing enough science to ask the right questions of those pedaling creationism), unwarranted trust (the pastor said creationism is true, so it must be true), and fear (if creationism is false, then my worldview may need serious alteration and I would have to admit I was wrong).

Upvote 0

Shadowsun

Jan 29, 2007
✟7,667.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
But that's the problem. Most of the time they don't simply say "YEC is true, and I will not look at contrary evidence." Creation scientists invent evidence to support YEC, and many Christians place as much faith in these false academics as they do in Jesus. In effect, many Christians are believing in lies.

Who, by the way, is the father of lies?

Is it religion?

The 11th commandment: Don't bury your head in the sand.
Just because something is comforting, doesn't make it true.
Some people prefer it if a doctor says they don't have cancer while actually they do. However, these people don't go around saying cancer doesn't exist.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it religion?

That question was meant to be addressed to the other Christians. The father of lies is Satan (St. John 8:44), and I am suggesting that perhaps the devil is largely behind the creationist movement.

The 11th commandment: Don't bury your head in the sand.

Actually the eleventh commandment says,
You shall not make gods of silver to be with me, nor shall you make for yourselves gods of gold. An altar of earth you shall make for me and sacrifice on it your burnt offerings and your peace offerings, your sheep and your oxen. In every place where I cause my name to be remembered I will come to you and bless you. (Exodus 20:23-24)​
It's a combination of creationists' arrogance (to think they know more than the National Academy of Science), ignorance (not knowing enough science to ask the right questions of those pedaling creationism), unwarranted trust (the pastor said creationism is true, so it must be true), and fear (if creationism is false, then my worldview may need serious alteration and I would have to admit I was wrong).

I'm not sure why some people feel that their worldview is threatened. I share a lot of beliefs with fundamentalist Christians. I believe in the infallibility of the Bible, the divinity of Jesus, and in all the teachings of the Apostles. I even believe that all non-Christian religions are false, and that people will go to hell for practicing non-Christian religions. I do not, however, believe in lies that are falsely portrayed as science.

Upvote 0

Shadowsun

Jan 29, 2007
✟7,667.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not sure why some people feel that their worldview is threatened. I share a lot of beliefs with fundamentalist Christians. I believe in the infallibility of the Bible, the divinity of Jesus, and in all the teachings of the Apostles. I even believe that all non-Christian religions are false, and that people will go to hell for practicing non-Christian religions. I do not, however, believe in lies that are falsely portrayed as science.

So you take whatever suits you out of science and treat the rest as a lie though it is supported by evidence? This seems to be the what you are saying. Stop me if I'm wrong. If you believe in the infallibility of the Bible you would have your hans full trying to explain why the earth is omly +-6000 years old.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So you take whatever suits you out of science and treat the rest as a lie though it is supported by evidence? This seems to be the what you are saying. Stop me if I'm wrong. If you believe in the infallibility of the Bible you would have your hans full trying to explain why the earth is omly +-6000 years old.

I'm not sure how you got this from my previous posts, given that I've spent a fair amount of time discrediting creation science. In case there is any confusion: no I do not believe in creation science. Belief in the infallibility of the Bible doesn't require one to believe in creation science.

Bill Clinton? :preach:

Yes, but I'd vote for him anyway.

Upvote 0

Shadowsun

Jan 29, 2007
✟7,667.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not sure how you got this from my previous posts, given that I've spent a fair amount of time discrediting creation science. In case there is any confusion: no I do not believe in creation science. Belief in the infallibility of the Bible doesn't require one to believe in creation science.

So you believe god created the earth and everything on it in 6 days then? I'm having some difficulties with grasping what you're trying to say. :doh:
(maybe I should start sleeping some more:sleep:)

Upvote 0

shadowmage36

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu ftaghn!
Jul 31, 2006
Delaware
✟8,108.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It's kind of funny. I looked at most of the prominent creationists (Hovind, Ham, etc.) and I noticed something: They're all exploiting the Wizard's First Rule. Also, to a lesser extent, the 3rd rule.

However, one need merely apply the 5th, 6th, 9th, and 10th rules to them and oneself when reading their writings to see through to their true purposes.

[/off topicness]

I would take GoSeminoles' point a bit further: The unwarranted trust, arrogance, and ignorance all stem from fear. Unwarranted trust because they are afraid that if they don't trust the pastor implicitly, then they aren't being True Christians(TM); ignorance because they're afraid that their faith might be poisoned by learning things which contradict it, so they simply don't learn any of it; and arrogance as a shield against the fear that they might be wrong.

A sense of righteousness is a great shield against any fear, in the right setting, come to think of it.

Reactions: moogoob
Upvote 0

Shadowsun

Jan 29, 2007
✟7,667.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Its all part of the EAC plan. (evil atheist conspiracy)
OH NOES! Evil!111

I hope that was a joke Avatar. Else I think you should consider professional help. Or just take of the tinfoil hat.

Then again Poe strikes at unpredictable times:p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
OH NOES! Evil!111

I hope that was a joke Avatar. Else I think you should consider professional help. Or just take of the tinfoil hat.

Then again Poe strikes at unpredictable times:p
Absolutely a joke. Should have used a smilie (Poe's Law)

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

What you fail to understand is that Divine Revelation trumps Science or any other rational or logical endeavor.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

scriptural inerrancy =/= 6,000 year old earth

come on over to Origins Theology to find out why, it's a tad off topic here

Upvote 0

thaumaturgy

Nov 17, 2006
✟12,333.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
What you fail to understand is that Divine Revelation trumps Science or any other rational or logical endeavor.

Now if only someone would provide clear proof of DIVINE REVELATION anywhere!

Do we need to accept people's claim of personal "divine revelation"? Did the homeless guy on the street shouting at the traffic lights really see God?

Was there ever really a Noah? An Abraham? A Moses? Was there a Garden of Eden? How do we know?

Or, is it more likely that the first several Books of Bible is a collection of creation myths and other ancient times myths, (followed by some books that are in part semi- and pseudo-histories based on oral tradition passed on from the late Bronze Age until the 8th century BC when wide-spread literacy crops up in Judah?)

Divine Revelation has to be pretty obvious, I should think. I'd be very interested to see such a thing!

(Of course if you tell my you were divinely inspired how will I know you weren't mistaken? The brain is a complex organ.)

-t

Upvote 0