• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Even the closest friend of the poor deserts them....

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by StarryEyedShoeGazer, Feb 12, 2019.

1. StarryEyedShoeGazer

StarryEyedShoeGazer Member

+399
    Christian
    Private
    Proverbs 19:4 says;

"Wealth attracts many friends, but even the closest friend of the poor person deserts them."

Just remembered this verse this morning and was reflecting on its truth in my own life.

Would love to hear people's thoughts ,anecdotes or even useful excerpts from bible commentaries people would like to share regarding this portion of scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. devin553344

devin553344 I believe in the Resurrection

+2,191
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I have a best friend. And he hasn't deserted me yet and I'm as poor as poor gets, I barely survive and he pays for meals when we go out. He has kidney problems and is near death all the time. Perhaps that's why he doesn't care I'm poor.

I think a rich person can attract many friends and if they turn poor, all their friends will leave them, and perhaps that's what the verse is referring to. Fair weather friends?

3. StarryEyedShoeGazer

+399
    Christian
    Private
    Yes ,the scripture is referring to fair weather friends.
    You are blessed to have a good friend who loves and respects you regardless of your circumstances.

Also,I think what is deemed to be wealth can be more than mere monetary value - it can also be things like wit,charm,intellence,beauty,generosity,humour or a combination of these and more.
    When prospective friends have none of the above ,it is often an act of charity to befriend them - something the world knows little of.
    Just a thought.

4. Pethesedzao

Pethesedzao Well-Known Member

+308
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Single
    The reason why wealth attracts many is because of the love of money which is the root of all evil.

5. StarryEyedShoeGazer

+399
    Christian
    Private
    Yes - and Christians are not immune to loving filthy lucre.

6. Pethesedzao

+308
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Single
    No one is immune; that's why we need to meditate in God's word every second of our natural state.

7. Pethesedzao

+308
    United Kingdom
    Charismatic
    Single
    Poverty and shame shall be to him that refuseth instruction: but he that regardeth reproof shall be honoured

8. Messerve

Messerve Well-Known Member

+804
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    That's a real friend - who willingly takes up your burdens and carries them for you. I have a friend like that, too, and it's made me realize an important truth. I value this one man's friendship so much, but Jesus did even more than that! He not only took on our burdens, but He let His own life be taken for our sake!

Did you ever realize the poignancy in the verse "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends"? Jesus was most assuredly referring to himself as that friend who would lay down his life for his friends.

In the previous verse, He tells them to love each other as He loved them, and in the following verse he immediately refers to them as "my friends".

Jesus, therefore, is the model of a perfect friend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,158
    Christian
    Single
    Agree with the OP/scripture.

And how good a so-called friends were those people to begin with?

10. ilovejcsog

ilovejcsog I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox

+869
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Fair weather friends are among the poor and the rich. In everyones lives.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. LaBèlla

LaBèlla Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,216
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The wealthy have people who seek their company because of their riches and what the person can receive in return. There’s usually an agenda. Discernment is a must.