Evangelical-Free Church VS Baptist: What's the Difference?

felicityinHIM

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
✟7,627.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Reposted from Nondenominational forum.

Hi there! Although technically a nondenominational, I went to an E-Free church for a few years and found myself agreeing with most of its doctrine. Since I'm at a college away from home, I have been checking out a local Baptist church. Does anyone know of any major differences between the two? I've seen a synopsis of both statements of faith and in the major beliefs, I suppose, they seem pretty similar.

ChristianT

Newbie Orthodox
Nov 4, 2011
Somewhere in God's Creation.
✟17,831.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read their statement of faith, and I think their beliefs are mostly equal to what my church believes/teaches.

The ONLY thing that may be different is the doctrines of any particular church. So if you hear them preaching something unbiblical (as in anti-biblical or something not based on anything in the Bible), within reason, you should go look for another church in your area if possible.

Otherwise, enjoy! :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟750,805.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Is it an EFCA church? If so they are fuzzy Baptists. They seem to be Dispensational Arminian Baptists who don't want to commit to a definition of their doctrine but still teach it. Chuck Swindoll has some connection with the EFCA. They were founded in 1950 so I wonder if they are Neo Orthodox?

Upvote 0

WinBySurrender

Dec 27, 2011
✟4,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Reposted from Nondenominational forum.

Hi there! Although technically a nondenominational, I went to an E-Free church for a few years and found myself agreeing with most of its doctrine. Since I'm at a college away from home, I have been checking out a local Baptist church. Does anyone know of any major differences between the two? I've seen a synopsis of both statements of faith and in the major beliefs, I suppose, they seem pretty similar.
There's very little difference between Evangelical Free and, say, a Southern Baptist church. JM mentioned Chuck Swindoll. He was actually raised in a Southern Baptist church before going to Dallas Theological Seminary and pastoring in two SBC churches before accepting the senior pastorate at 1st Evangelical Free Church in Fullerton, California. From there, he became President and is now Chancellor of DTS and founded Stonebriar Community Church, along with others, which is a nondenominational church. It, too, has a Statement of Faith that reads like the BF&M of the SBC.

Upvote 0