Not open for further replies.

RGL1

Veteran
Jul 10, 2006
Raymond, New Hampshah
✟16,754.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Some try to discredit the Church and Bible by pointing out alleged sins in people of the early Church.

I got this quote from another thread:
http://www.christianforums.com/t2463388-watchtower-said-lying-to-the-public-is-okey.html post #5
Bishop Eusebius, who presided over the Council of Nicea, , entitles the 32nd Chapter of his 12th Book of Evangelical Preparation:

"How it may be Lawful and Fitting to use Falsehood as a Medicine, and for the Benefit of those who Want to be Deceived."

Anyone have information about this? Is this a valid quote?

PrincessMommy

Aug 29, 2006
USA
✟15,571.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have a copy of Eusebius' The Church History. It only has 10 Books. So I can't tell if this quote is accurate.

There is a reason why Eusebius is not considered a Saint in the church, but its not because of that quote, that I know of. We remember Eusebius today because of his Church History book, not because of his teachings or theology. It is important to note that just because a Bishop of the Church wrote something down doesn't mean it was accepted by the church (sometimes it was even Anathametized!).

Good luck finding more info. Perhaps looking up Eusebius on Wikipedia will yield some helpful information.

Upvote 0

Trento

Senior Veteran
Apr 12, 2002
AZ. Between the Holy Cross river and the Saint Rit
Visit site
✟22,534.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have a copy of Eusebius' The Church History. It only has 10 Books. So I can't tell if this quote is accurate.

There is a reason why Eusebius is not considered a Saint in the church, but its not because of that quote, that I know of. We remember Eusebius today because of his Church History book, not because of his teachings or theology. It is important to note that just because a Bishop of the Church wrote something down doesn't mean it was accepted by the church (sometimes it was even Anathametized!).

Good luck finding more info. Perhaps looking up Eusebius on Wikipedia will yield some helpful information.

This was effectively disposed of by Lightfoot, who Is a Protestant Historical scholar fully vindicated Eusebius' honour as a narrator 'against this unjust charge'.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.