Orthodox Christian
Jun 9, 2006
North Texas
✟9,832.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, from my experience the format of Adoration varies. At my home parish, there is perpetual adoration so you can just go in the room, genuflect and pray for as long as you want. At my Newman center at school, we have formal exposition/benediction where the priest wears special vestments and uses incense and special prayers at the beginning and end.

So I guess there's nothing really specific you need to do. Just be sure to be respectful! :crossrc:

Upvote 0

furkidsmom

Veteran
Feb 19, 2005
Sunny Florida
Visit site
✟9,504.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm on my way to my 1 hour adoration slot in a few minutes. I go in, genuflect and then spend the hour in quiet prayer. I have a great little booklet that has meditations on the daily readings....I sometimes pray the Rosary or the Divine Mercy Chaplet and I often pray my St. Jude Novena prayers.

Many times I just sit and try to hear what Jesus is saying to me (I'm not good at that part - YET)

Enjoy - it is a wonderful thing to do!

Upvote 0

3toraiseup

Kati
Apr 2, 2004
Arizona
✟1,886.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Metanoia02 said:
Just an additional pointer. When the Eucharist is exposed in the Monstrance, when you geneuflect you are supposed to go down on both knees not just one. At least that is the way I was taught.

That is what I was taught as well.

Our parish asks that you sign in - even if you only stay a few minutes.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

I would start by having a Bible and maybe a prayer book or spiritual reading. You could pray a rosary. Try to have at least 5-10 minutes of sitting silently just peering at Jesus. You can also jornal while you are there...that can be very nice.

Over time try to put away the books and spend more and more time just being with Jesus in silence. It takes time to develop the ability to do that, so I reccomend starting with only a few minutes....

Upvote 0

PolskiKrol

Teemo support OP
Jun 16, 2004
✟2,437.00
Faith
Catholic
Generally I begin with prayer to the Holy Spirit, asking him to help me pray and keep me free of distractions.

Then I proceed to vipassana, clearing my mind of all thoughts and just focusing on breathing and the true presence of Christ in front of me.

I then sit in a state of zazen, with my mind open for whatever the Spirit leads me to consider, if anything at all. If not, I continue to focus on breathing and Christ's true presence.

The only time when zazen is true is when you aren't looking at your watch and are prepared to do anything the Spirit asks, even if it is to spend the rest of the day in meditation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.