Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there :wave:

I know most of the requirements that one should have before receiving Communion. But I wondered how or even if they are enforced by the Church when an individual dosnt fulfill those requirements themselves.

I ask this because I am still trying to learn and I am not judging even though it may seem like I am.

I know someone at church that used to go to another church that I went to even though she has been Catholic most of her life. She always said she would never go back to the Catholic church...
But... she is a widow, and a couple of years back she met a man that she knew years ago.. he had recently been released from prison after serving a sentence for sexual abuse on a child or children. He is Catholic also, they are living together now and have been since just after he was released a couple of years ago.

They both come to Mass sometimes now and they both go forward to recieve communion. I thought that living in a relationship like this would have been a reason for them not being able to receive, but of course they must be able to, because they are. They often sit next to us, and it really bothers me what she is doing, I really like this lady, just not the ways she is living.

Is there ever a time when communion is actually refused to a person if they are not right with God? or does the responsibility just stay with the person receiving?

Is there anywhere it is listed where it teaches when one cannot receive Communion?

Thanks, I was just wondering ......

Les

BillH

Be not afraid!
Apr 3, 2005
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
✟27,958.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The basics for receiving communion are:
  • Believing what the Catholic Church teaches about the Eucharist
  • Being a member of a church in communion with the Catholic Church
  • Not being aware of any unconfessed mortal sins
As a general rule, the church leaves it up to individuals to examine their own conscience as to whether or not they should present themselves for communion. No doubt, this gets abused.

In certain flagrant cases, a priest or bishop may refuse a person communion, but these situations are, in practice unusual.

Upvote 0

LongingForLight

Feb 5, 2004
✟16,238.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
BillH said:
In certain flagrant cases, a priest or bishop may refuse a person communion, but these situations are, in practice unusual.

I know our local priest once commented on this. He tends to assume that either the sin has been confessed or was not committed. After all, although it is unlikely, these two people *could* be living together chastely (although there could still be an issue of scandal - not sure if that is mortal, though).

Upvote 0

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LongingForLight said:
I know our local priest once commented on this. He tends to assume that either the sin has been confessed or was not committed. After all, although it is unlikely, these two people *could* be living together chastely (although there could still be an issue of scandal - not sure if that is mortal, though).

They are definately not living together chastely, they are living together as a married couple, by their own words. They were talking of getting married earlier on, but something came up and it never happened.

Thanks

Les

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
poppinskw said:
They are definately not living together chastely, they are living together as a married couple, by their own words. They were talking of getting married earlier on, but something came up and it never happened.

Thanks

Les

If a couple lives together unchastely, then the couple would be living in mortal sin. It is the responsibility of the communicant to treat Our Lord present in the Eucharist with care and respect. Certainly the priests have a responsibility as well... but I do not want to get into that.

However, if this couple is indeed doing what you say they are doing with full knowledge, then I fear for their souls.............

Upvote 0

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Veritas_et_Puritas said:
If a couple lives together unchastely, then the couple would be living in mortal sin. It is the responsibility of the communicant to treat Our Lord present in the Eucharist with care and respect. Certainly the priests have a responsibility as well... but I do not want to get into that.

However, if this couple is indeed doing what you say they are doing with full knowledge, then I fear for their souls.............

Thank you. :)

Upvote 0

kamikat

my love is bigger than a cadillac
Apr 22, 2005
Visit site
✟18,459.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hope no one minds me posting here, BUT
It may not happen today, but about 20 years ago, my mom was denied communion during Mass. I think the possiblity of this happening today would be rare, unless your congration was very small and you had an intimate relationship with your priest. On the other hand, if you had an intimate relationship with your priest and he knew about something that should prevent reception of the Eucharist, you would probably be too embarrassed to try it.

kamikat

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
poppinskw said:
Hi there :wave:

I know most of the requirements that one should have before receiving Communion. But I wondered how or even if they are enforced by the Church when an individual dosnt fulfill those requirements themselves.

I ask this because I am still trying to learn and I am not judging even though it may seem like I am.

I know someone at church that used to go to another church that I went to even though she has been Catholic most of her life. She always said she would never go back to the Catholic church...
But... she is a widow, and a couple of years back she met a man that she knew years ago.. he had recently been released from prison after serving a sentence for sexual abuse on a child or children. He is Catholic also, they are living together now and have been since just after he was released a couple of years ago.

They both come to Mass sometimes now and they both go forward to recieve communion. I thought that living in a relationship like this would have been a reason for them not being able to receive, but of course they must be able to, because they are. They often sit next to us, and it really bothers me what she is doing, I really like this lady, just not the ways she is living.

Is there ever a time when communion is actually refused to a person if they are not right with God? or does the responsibility just stay with the person receiving?

Is there anywhere it is listed where it teaches when one cannot receive Communion?

Thanks, I was just wondering ......

Les

Living with someone and not being married is fornication and a grave sin, and since she is in a grave sin, she should stop the action and refrain from Communion until she seeks confession and either gets married, or just lives singly without having a sexual relationship...but as long as she is commiting a mortal sin, she is doing more damage to her soul than she realises.

To take the Eucharist unworthily causes damnation upon ourselves.

Yep....

:crossrc: .

1 Corinthians 11
27 Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord.

1 Corinthians 11
29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord.

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is no reason to judge. We don't know the souls of the couple - for all we know they may have gone to confession shortly before, and promised to try to live chastely; or they may be sincerely convinced that their case is exceptional enough not to constitute a mortal sin. Or their case may REALLY be exceptional in some way that you don't know. In any case, it has nothing to do with anyone else but God and their confessor.

Why worry about it at all? Isn't it more than enough to worry about our own sins?

Reactions: NiteClerk
Upvote 0

GraceInHim

† Need a lifeguard? Mine walks on water †
Oct 25, 2005
MA
✟24,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My Priest only gives it to those who have made thier communion, he always will ask if someone seems new in line, but does not refuse if they say yes, wether they may be telling the truth or not... of course if a little kid gets in line he makes a face "like... what???" rarely happens

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Globalnomad said:
There is no reason to judge. We don't know the souls of the couple - for all we know they may have gone to confession shortly before, and promised to try to live chastely; or they may be sincerely convinced that their case is exceptional enough not to constitute a mortal sin. Or their case may REALLY be exceptional in some way that you don't know. In any case, it has nothing to do with anyone else but God and their confessor.

Why worry about it at all? Isn't it more than enough to worry about our own sins?

I asked this question for two reasons, and not because I was being judgemental..

1st reason was because I am trying to learn the things that are acceptable and not acceptable within the Catholic church, so that I will know for myself.

2nd reason is because I really like this woman, she is a friend. I am not judging her, I am just concerned for her.

They may have gone to confession the day before, but each week they still take communion and they are still living in a married situation... So I could ask another question, is there any benefit to going to confession if one chooses to stay in the same situation? To just keep confessing it and going back to it?

Les

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My dad and his girlfriend are in a similar situation. They have lived together for over 10 years as a married couple. They have considered getting married so many times I can't even count. It upsets me that they won't just go and get married somewhere but what can I say? Nothing! I can't say anything about it. I know they are living in sin but its not like I can do anything. And it is not my place to judge either. All I can do is pray for them and I think praying for this couple would be a good idea too. :crossrc:

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
poppinskw said:
I am not judging them, but dont we have a responsibility to try and point our brothers and sisters back to the right path?

Les, in theory yes... but in practice, nine times out of ten it is quite unnecessary - generally, people DO know the rules, and if they don't follow them, it's either because (1) the situation is not as it seems, (2) they have a valid reason (which they are not obliged to tell anyone but their confessor), or (3) they are using their primacy of conscience, which may or may not have led them astray, but it will hardly be overcome by an unsolicited comment from someone whom they do not recognize as an authority.

Perhaps you could make use of the fact that you are new to Catholicism, and ask about what they are doing in an open, genuinely enquiring sort of way.... but it may still be the wrong thing to do. Impossible to say, from a distance!

Why don't you ask your Father Confessor for advice on this? Or a priest who knows this particular couple?

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Les,

Pray for them and trust in God that they are probably being convicted of any mortal sin that they are or may be involved in. We can't control what others do and it is a type of scandal. What you can do is talk to your priest about this and ask him what you need to do to help them not to continue committing a mortal sin on top of taking the Eucharist knowing that they are committing a mortal sin.

But please, whatever we do, we need to do it with compassion and mercy and trust in God to do the right thing and trust the Priest to do the right thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
poppinskw said:
I am not judging them, but dont we have a responsibility to try and point our brothers and sisters back to the right path?

Absolutely, Les.

You are doing the right thing here; inquiring about how one should approach the Eucharist. As Vatican II noted, the Eucharist is the "source and summit" of the Christian faith; there is nothing more important or nourishing to us than the God of the universe humbling Himself by taking on the form of bread and wine for us to consume.

It is good that you are concerned for your friend. Abuse of the Eucharist is considered the greatest sacriliage one can ever commit. As Paul said, we need to truly examine our hearts, making sure we receive with a good clean conscious. Otherwise, we bring great judgement upon ourselves.

We want to make sure our hearts are a nice home for Jesus, one where He can feel welcomed to enter.

Blessings,

-Davide

Upvote 0

poppinskw

Senior Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
✟20,994.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rising_Suns said:
Absolutely, Les.

You are doing the right thing here; inquiring about how one should approach the Eucharist. As Vatican II noted, the Eucharist is the "source and summit" of the Christian faith; there is nothing more important or nourishing to us than the God of the universe humbling Himself by taking on the form of bread and wine for us to consume.

It is good that you are concerned for your friend. Abuse of the Eucharist is considered the greatest sacriliage one can ever commit. As Paul said, we need to truly examine our hearts, making sure we receive with a good clean conscious. Otherwise, we bring great judgement upon ourselves.

We want to make sure our hearts are a nice home for Jesus, one where He can feel welcomed to enter.

Blessings,

-Davide

Thank you Davide.

Maybe this is the Evangelical still coming out in me, but I see a sin as a sin, and when one is aware of the fact they are sinning and they are not prepared to do anything about it, because they like the sin they are in, then it does bother me that they can be fed and helped along in the lifestyle they have chosen.

I am not sure if I will do anything.. my OP was mainly to ask if these people could still receive Communion while they are continuing this lifestyle. I wonder sometimes if people continue like this, because no one challenges them and they think it has been accepted. I know each of us could find a way to rationalize and make our sin o.k. if we tried to.

Blessings

Les

Upvote 0

Kusanagi

Cyborg Surface Marshal
Jul 4, 2005
The Northeast Corridor
✟16,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
From memory, one must be in full communion with the Catholic Church and free of mortal sins before reciving the Eucharist.

I do believe in the real presence in the Eucharist. I home that is the same as Transubstantiation since I am still learning :blush:.

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
poppinskw said:
I asked this question for two reasons, and not because I was being judgemental..

1st reason was because I am trying to learn the things that are acceptable and not acceptable within the Catholic church, so that I will know for myself.

2nd reason is because I really like this woman, she is a friend. I am not judging her, I am just concerned for her.

They may have gone to confession the day before, but each week they still take communion and they are still living in a married situation... So I could ask another question, is there any benefit to going to confession if one chooses to stay in the same situation? To just keep confessing it and going back to it?

Les

No, if they confess it, yet do remain in the situation then that confession is not valid (I'm not sure if that is the correct terminology). To receive absolution one must have repentance for their sins which includes a firm purpose of amendment, if they go to confession and do not make the necessary changes, then essentially they wasted their time and the priests.

Upvote 0

Febe

Dec 13, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden.
✟4,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
:( I know someone, that eats before communion (breakfast doesn`t count...) and take communion on Sundays, still committing mortal sins without confessing (it´s not "sin" just "weakness")... He puts his own oppinion before the one of the church...:doh:

My point is: this is probably quite common...:o

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.