Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Most people who are aware of Ethiopia's breathtaking Christian sites are probably well acquainted with the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, where churches are carved out of solid rock, recessed several hundred feet into the ground. But Ethiopia also features several churches and monasteries that are constructed in the opposite direction, like the Church of Abouna Yemata in the Tigray region, which is built into the side of cliff 650 feet above the ground. Worshippers come to this 5th-century church by scaling the side of the cliff -- all without shoes, as they maintain the belief that to enter into a church is to be present on holy ground (cf. Exodus 3:5).

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ethiopian Christianity is another world. It's the only form of Christianity we have which preserves the old consciousness. Modern Christendom has so many complicated allegiances and our psyches have been flattened out. The Coptic church is deep. It reaches down into the depths of human history and experience.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have to assume there are men who make the pilgrimage, since it was mostly women, apart from the clergy, who featured in the video. What a glorious witness to their faith.
It reminds me of the various monasteries built on the rock pinnacles in Meteora in Greece, or the Panayia Soumela monastery in Turkey.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Ethiopian Christianity is another world. It's the only form of Christianity we have which preserves the old consciousness. Modern Christendom has so many complicated allegiances and our psyches have been flattened out. The Coptic church is deep. It reaches down into the depths of human history and experience.

Note that the Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church was historically a part of the Coptic Orthodox Church, but became autocephalous in the 20th century. The Coptic Orthodox Church consists of Egyptian Christians. The Ethiopian church is one of six ancient and distinctly beautiful Oriental Orthodox churches, which are in communion with each other (the others are the very similiar Eritrean Tewahedo Orthodox Church, the aforementioned Coptic Orthodox Church in Egypt, the Syriac Orthodox Church, which is the smallest as it suffered the highest casualty rate as a percentage of population in the Turkish genocide in 1915, and it also experienced more genocidal violence under ISIS, the Armenian Apostolic Church, which had the highest total number of casualties in the 1915 genocide, and the Indian Orthodox Church, which was founded by St. Thomas the Apostle, who was martyred in India in 1915).

Since all of these churches are in communion with each other, and since each one features interesting and spectacular features, I think we should recognize and acclaim Oriental Orthodoxy as a whole.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have to assume there are men who make the pilgrimage, since it was mostly women, apart from the clergy, who featured in the video. What a glorious witness to their faith.
It reminds me of the various monasteries built on the rock pinnacles in Meteora in Greece, or the Panayia Soumela monastery in Turkey.

Indeed, it is stunningly beautiful in the same way as Meteora. I had not heard of Panayia Soumela, but reading about it saddens me, as yet another example of the ethnic cleansing of the Treaty of Lausanne.

• Agree
Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Note that the Ethiopian Tewahedo Orthodox Church was historically a part of the Coptic Orthodox Church, but became autocephalous in the 20th century. The Coptic Orthodox Church consists of Egyptian Christians. The Ethiopian church is one of six ancient and distinctly beautiful Oriental Orthodox churches, which are in communion with each other (the others are the very similiar Eritrean Tewahedo Orthodox Church, the aforementioned Coptic Orthodox Church in Egypt, the Syriac Orthodox Church, which is the smallest as it suffered the highest casualty rate as a percentage of population in the Turkish genocide in 1915, and it also experienced more genocidal violence under ISIS, the Armenian Apostolic Church, which had the highest total number of casualties in the 1915 genocide, and the Indian Orthodox Church, which was founded by St. Thomas the Apostle, who was martyred in India in 1915).

Since all of these churches are in communion with each other, and since each one features interesting and spectacular features, I think we should recognize and acclaim Oriental Orthodoxy as a whole.

Thank you for you , as ever, informative and enlightening posts. I was referring to something which strikes me with considerable and particular force whenever I explore Ethiopian Coptic Christianity.

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Most people who are aware of Ethiopia's breathtaking Christian sites are probably well acquainted with the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela, where churches are carved out of solid rock, recessed several hundred feet into the ground. But Ethiopia also features several churches and monasteries that are constructed in the opposite direction, like the Church of Abouna Yemata in the Tigray region, which is built into the side of cliff 650 feet above the ground. Worshippers come to this 5th-century church by scaling the side of the cliff -- all without shoes, as they maintain the belief that to enter into a church is to be present on holy ground (cf. Exodus 3:5).

Yes I am well acquainted with Lalibela, but didn't know of this place!

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's kind of crazy what you need to do to get to it. I could easily die, I got a trick ankle that turns in unexpectedly once in a while, when I walk causing me to fall or almost fall over. But that going around the corner to get to this place, you really need to pray to God to forgive your sins etc. before you try going here.

Upvote 0