Ethics and Witnessing

surfs

Oct 31, 2005
✟15,176.00
Faith
Baptist
When does witnessing or outreach cross the line into deception? What about a Christian inviting friends to an evangelistic meeting--service or music --but not telling them it is that type of event? What about a Christian inviting a friend/acquaintance to supper, but not telling him he will not be the only one there and all others there will be Christian? What about a church advertising through posters a free community barbacue, but not stating anywhere the event is sponsored by a church? We are told our light is to shine before men--Matt 5:16--are these approaches going against this by first hiding the Christian nature of the event from non-Christians? Where does it say we are to follow the Machevelian approach--the end justfies the means? Even Paul in 1Cor 9:22 in talking about using all means to reach out is referring to personally becoming like others--adapting to different situations--, not hiding the nature of the gospel approach.When once invited to a non-Christians birthday party off campus that I knew would be a scene of much drinking I went to express my greetings to the birthday person ,had pop and did not stay for a long period of time.That is different than the practices outlined in the first 3 questions.Has anyone reading this struggled with this issue in witnessing?

Reactions: Aino

English_Guy

Sep 3, 2009
England
✟7,645.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do not see it so much now, but there was a tendency to witness with 'come to Jesus & have no problems' which of course is neither biblical nor true.

Of course, when the new Christian then has a problem ......

(Jesus said 'In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.' John 16:33 NIV)

Upvote 0