Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Why is ethical behaviour not on IQ tests. It seems that if its better to be ethical we ought to do it, and its reasonable to say it s intelligent.
But psychopaths for instance can have high IQ but little moral compass.

So, also, what "good" is IQ if it doesn't promote "the good" in general.
You’ve answered you own question.

IQ and ethics are independent.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The relationship between intelligence and ethics is that the more intelligent a person is, the more skilled his rationalization for his lack of ethics will be.

Intelligent people are very good at fooling themselves - and other people.

Well put.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So how would that apply to something like direct action, and getting arrested for ethical reasons. For example, in a climate change protest.

If that's a valid example of intelligence, does it imply that I (who am not so arrested), or average Joe, Sue etc. have less intelligence...??

No, of course not. I am saying that statically those who are more peaceful and harmonious members of society probably possess higher intelligence. That to be "ethical" has its cold and calculated aspects.

In fact having a strong sense of empathy and feelings for others is probably more detrimental than anything. I'd rather be surrounded by people who use more logic and rationality than those who just give in to their emotions. The latter often holds the banner of being "more ethical" on their sleeves but from observing them most are pretty rough and disturbing people.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Was Hitler a very intelligent man? It seems absurd that one can divorce morality from intellect.

Most likely. I've read his estimated IQ was around the 140 range. Reportably he had an excellent memory.

Many higher up Nazis did have IQ tests done on them during the Nuremburg trials.. think most were above 120+ IQ.

Hitler had a code of ethics, he even helped a few Jews when he was in power that were kind to him in the past. He wasn't as cold and ruthless as Stalin could be, although maybe they both had their highs in coldness expressed in different matters. What made Hitler dangerous and extreme in my opinion was that he was a highly empathic and emotional individual. With a high enough intellect where he could still manipulate and get his way despite being very emotionally sensitive.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,933.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
What "good" is a screwdriver if it doesn´t promote "the good" in general?

Screwdriver/ vodka and oragejuice.

Then there is screwdriver which can be good to have if one has a screw loose.
Hohoho.

If one has several screws loose there is battery driven screwdrivers too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums