Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Law had provision for 'slipping and falling' That's not the reason Christ came.

We are aware of sin so we can overcome sin, not succumb to it. Jesus would have died in vain if we can sin freely. We don't need grace is we are free to sin nor would we need a Savior because we would all be lost.

This is where our faith comes in. With God all things are possible. God even provides us the Holy Spirit to help us obey. Acts 5:32, John 14:15-18

This is not saying if we slip and fall we don't have an Advocate with Jesus for forgiveness. True repentance means your truly sorry and want to turn from sin. Jesus wants us to gain victory over sin and gives us everything to help overcome sin. With God's laws written in our hearts and minds we can become a new creature from the inside out. We have to make the commitment and ask Jesus for His help so we can obey. God's laws was not meant to be burdensome 1 John 5:3 this is what the devil wants us to think, Jesus wants us to gain victory over sin.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Our faith is directed toward the person of Christ, not toward obeying the Law. The Mosaic Covenant was temporary, just like the Temple. Salvation was never meant to come by the Law, the Law points to Christ.
We become a new creation when we are united to Christ, not when or as we obey the Law.
Our faith is directed to Christ and because of our love for Christ we demonstrate that by obeying our Creator, not disobeying.

Here is an example- I am married, I took a vow to be faithful to my husband. I keep those vows because I love him. The closer I am with my husband the thought of cheating never enters my mind. I am not focused on I need to be faithful to my husband, I am focused on my relationship with him. Do I show love to my husband when I am faithful or cheating? It's the same way with obeying our Creator. It's one thing to say you love someone and another to show them. Jesus asks if you love Me, keep My commandments. John 14:15, John 15:10, 1 John 5:3, Exodus 20:6 It's how Jesus knows us. Matthew 7:21-23 and it is a fruit of our faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The Law had provision for 'slipping and falling' That's not the reason Christ came.
Christ came to be our perfect example, that's why over and over in the scriptures Jesus says Follow Me.

2 Peter 2:21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:

1 John 2:6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked

Jesus kept all the commandments of His Father and asked us to as well John 15:10

Jesus died to pay for the penalty for our sins and in the New Covenant He is our High Priest and Mediator. We can pray directly to Him when we slip, but as shown in the bible when you slip get back up and go sin no more. Jesus never said go and keep sinning. Sin is not going to exist in the New Heaven and New Earth we can gain victory over sin now for those who want to gain victory over it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Christ came to be our perfect example, that's why over and over in the scriptures Jesus says Follow Me.
The rich young man guarded the law perfectly, yet he lacked. He was told to forsake all that he had in order to follow Christ. At that time, he went away sad because he was very rich. Christ tells us that it's easier for the rich man's caravan to enter through a gate than for him to enter into the kingdom of heaven. He would not lay down his life for Christ. Laying down our lives for Christ, is not a prescript of the Law Rather, Christ and we are cursed by the Law, when we take up our cross and follow him, 'for cursed is anyone who hangs upon a tree' Christ is our example but he is our example in how to die a grace-filled death in order to rise. Grace does not come by the Law.
2 Peter 2:21 For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:

1 John 2:6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked
Yes, dying. Walking Calvary's road.
Jesus kept all the commandments of His Father and asked us to as well John 15:10
We guard the commandments, but they do not save, only Christ saves.
Jesus also died to pay for the penalty for our sins and in the New Covenant He is our High Priest and Mediator. We can pray directly to Him when we slip, but as shown in the bible when you slip get back up and go sin no more. Jesus never said go and keep sinning. Sin is not going to exist in the New Heaven and New Earth we can gain victory over sin now for those who want to gain victory over it.

But this can't come by the Law. If the Law was sufficient there would be no need for a Savior. Our perfection as Christians, supercedes the prescriptions of the Law. Because our perfection is the perfection of God, the Law-Giver, unmediated.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The rich young man guarded the law perfectly, yet he lacked. He was told to forsake all that he had in order to follow Christ. At that time, he went away sad because he was very rich. Christ tells us that it's easier for the rich man's caravan to enter through a gate than for him to enter into the kingdom of heaven. .
The rich young ruler claimed he kept the commandments, but he put his great wealth above God breaking commandment #1 Exodus 20:3: “You shall have no other gods before Me.” Money was his god and while he wanted to be saved he went away sad because he followed Jesus according to His will and not the will of Jesus (to keep the commandments) as he placed his great wealth (his god) above the commandments.

He would not lay down his life for Christ. Laying down our lives for Christ, is not a prescript of the Law Rather Christ and we are cursed by the Law, when we take up our cross and follow him, 'for cursed is anyone who hangs upon a tree' Christ is our example but he is our example in how to die a grace-filled death in order to rise. Grace does not come by the Law

We are not cursed by God's laws 1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. God's laws are not grievous!

God's laws are not cursed, God's laws reflect the very nature of our Savior. God's laws are perfect James 1:25, holy Romans 7:12, Love 1 Timothy 1:5, Romans 13:10, Righteous Romans 8:4, Pure Psalms 19:8, unchanging Matthew 5:18 just like God. God wrote His laws with His own Finger and placed inside the ark of the Most Holy of God's Temple. Does this sound like a curse to you? You are getting the wrong set of laws here. The law of Moses was set on the outside of the ark and contained curses Deut 29:20-21, Gal 3:10 and was added because of sin Gal 3:19. God laws points out sin Romans 3:20 and is not grievous 1 John 5:3 and how we are judged James 2:10-12 by our moral right doings and was written personally by our Creator and Savior.

We guard the commandments, but they do not save, only Christ saves.
I never said anywhere that we are saved by keeping the law. It is a fruit of our faith. We do not keep the law to be saved but because we are saved. God's laws written in our hearts and minds and we obey because we love our Savior!

But this can't come by the Law. If the Law was sufficient there would be no need for a Savior. Our perfection as Christians, supercedes the prescriptions of the Law. Because our perfection is the perfection of God, the Law-Giver, unmediated.

If there was no law there would be no sin and we would not need grace or a Savior because we would be all lost. There is sin in the world and Jesus wants us to gain victory over sin not succumb to it. If you love Jesus you want to not worship other gods, or bow to idols, vain His name or break His holy Sabbath day. If we love our neighbor you will not want to steal, bear false witness or covet, commit adultery or murder - Jesus wants us to gain victory over these things which He makes clear Matthew 5:17-30

He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 1 John 2:4

Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
The rich young ruler claimed he kept the commandments, but he put his great wealth above God breaking commandment #1 Exodus 20:3: “You shall have no other gods before Me.” Money was his god and while he wanted to be saved he went away sad because of his great wealth that he placed above following Jesus.
There is nothing in the passage which indicates that the rich young ruler did not guard the law. Christ never corrects his assumption. The first commandment can include the acquisition of wealth, but it was a prohibition against other gods--literally. That the rich young ruler broke the commandment preferring his wealth to Christ is not implied, as there is nothing which indicates that he knew Christ to be God. By not having the Holy Spirit, he probably thought that he was rejecting a teacher.

We are not cursed by God's laws 1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. God's laws are not grievous!
We are cursed by God's law on two accounts. 1) whoever does not obey the law in one point is guilty of breaking the whole law James 2:10 2) Christ commands us to pick up our cross and follow him. But the law condemns anyone who hangs on a tree, or rather, that is the condemnation Deut 21:23

God's laws are not cursed, God's laws reflect the very nature of our Savior. God's laws are perfect James 1:25, holy Romans 7:12, Love 1 Timothy 1:5, Romans 13:10, Righteous Romans 8:4, Pure Psalms 19:8, unchanging Matthew 5:18 just like God. God wrote His laws with His own Finger and placed inside the ark of the Most Holy of God's Temple. Does this sound like a curse to you?

God's law is not cursed but we are cursed by the law. See the difference?
You are getting the wrong set of laws here. The law of Moses was set on the outside of the ark and contained curses Deut 29:20-21, Gal 3:10 and was added because of sin Gal 3:19. God laws points out sin Romans 3:20 and is not grievous 1 John 5:3 and how we are judged James 2:10-12 by our moral right doings and was written personally by our Creator and Savior.
You will never be saved if you are judged according to the precepts of the law. For you are a lawbreaker insomuch as you are a sinner and a Christian. You seem to be saying that the law is our goal and that Christ is our helper achieving this goal. But Christ is our goal and the law will not help us get there. For the law knows nothing of Christ or Grace. That is why even today, both Muslims and Jews deny Christ, because the veil of the law covers their face. They approach God through thunder and lightning, they come before a mountain that no one can approach, not even animals lest they die. The God of the law is a hidden God. His face is only revealed in the person and work of Christ, who recapitulated the life of Adam and Israel, because Adam and Israel could not. It is Christ alone, not the law which is our righteousness, not just the forgiveness of sins, but our literal righteousness.

I never said anywhere that we are saved by keeping the law. It is a fruit of our faith. We do not keep the law to be saved but because we are saved. God's laws written in our hearts and minds and we obey because we love our Savior!
You said:
We are aware of sins so that we overcome it.
And:
With God's laws written in our hearts and minds we can become a new creature from inside out.
----
This is incorrect. We become new creatures by grace alone, when we are regenerated. We cannot become new creatures by obeying the law. It is the righteousness of Christ in us, not our moral perfection or obedience which makes us new creatures. Christ's righteousness is greater than the righteousness according to the law. We are aware of sins, so that we can die daily to the law and live to God. This is the fundamental Pauline law-gospel dynamic. Our bodies are dead because of sin but our spirits are alive because of Christ's righteousness, whereby we call out to God, 'Father'.

If there was no law there would be no sin and we would not need grace or a Savior because we would be all lost.

I don't understand what you are saying here. Of course by the law comes the knowledge of sin, but Adam and Eve, Noah and Abraham, ect. and all those who lived prior to the law, still needed a Savior. Christ came to save us from eternal death.

There is sin in the world and Jesus wants us to gain victory over sin not succumb to it. If you love Jesus you want to not worship other gods, or bow to idols, vain His name or break His holy Sabbath day. If we love our neighbor you will not want to steal, bear false witness or covet, commit adultery or murder - Jesus wants us to gain victory over these things which He makes clear Matthew 5:17-30

Yes but you're not going to become sinless by obeying the law. You are made sinless by grace alone. The sermon on the Mount proves my point. The law of Christ is greater than the law of Moses, not it's parallel. When Christ was asked what work the Father would have them do, he replied, 'To believe on the one he has sent' and Paul says, 'To the man who does not work but trust God to justify the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness'.

He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 1 John 2:4

Keep means to guard. It does not imply moral perfection. John's point is that if we keep on sinning, we have forfeited the sacrifice of Christ as the Gnostics of whom he was writing, did.
Matthew 7:21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

This is not referring to Faith or Baptism which saves, but to blasphemy. The power to heal, cast out demons, ect. as Judas did, accomplishes it's goal, because there is power in the Name. But invoking that Name in order to perform wonders, will not save you. Even Satan can perform wonders with God's permission.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing in the passage which indicates that the rich young ruler did not guard the law. Christ never corrects his assumption. The first commandment can include the acquisition of wealth, but it was a prohibition against other gods--literally. That the rich young ruler broke the commandment preferring his wealth to Christ is not implied, as there is nothing which indicates that he knew Christ to be God. By not having the Holy Spirit, he probably thought that he was rejecting a teacher.

I disagree and lets look at the scripture again.

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

Jesus gave the rich man an invitation to Follow Him, but the rich man declined for he had great possessions. The rich man placed his great possessions "his god" over following Jesus and what does the commandment say? Exodus 20:3: “You shall have no other gods before Me. This could be anything you place over over Jesus. In this case it was money "great possessions". He wanted Jesus on his terms doing his will, not the will of Jesus- Jesus said Follow Me, which he declined because his god "possessions" was greater to him.

We are cursed by God's law on two accounts. 1) whoever does not obey the law in one point is guilty of breaking the whole law James 2:10 2) Christ commands us to pick up our cross and follow him. But the law condemns anyone who hangs on a tree, or rather, that is the condemnation Deut 21:23
You're getting the two covenants mixed up. James 2:10-12 is referring to God's Ten Comamndments. Deut 21:23 is not in the Ten Commandments and is part of the law of Moses that is contrary to us, God's laws are not burdensome 1 John 5:3

God's law is not cursed but we are cursed by the law. See the difference?
Only people who have un-repented sin and refuse to turn from their sins will be condemned by the law. Jesus is waiting patiently because it is not His will that anyone shall perish. He wants to give the gift of eternal life but too many people choose their will over the will of God. They want to love and obey God according to their terms, not God's will. God wrote His holy laws for us on stone for its eternal nature and now God's commandments are written in the heart and mind because this is God's will for us. We put God above everything else, love God with all our heart and mind and doing that you will want obey God. I'm not sure why anyone argues with this point.

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all. Ecclesiastes 12:13

Psalms 40:8 I delight to do Your will, O my God, And Your law is within my heart.”

You will never be saved if you are judged according to the precepts of the law. For you are a lawbreaker insomuch as you are a sinner and a Christian. You seem to be saying that the law is our goal and that Christ is our helper achieving this goal. But Christ is our goal and the law will not help us get there. For the law knows nothing of Christ or Grace. That is why even today, both Muslims and Jews deny Christ, because the veil of the law covers their face. They approach God through thunder and lightning, they come before a mountain that no one can approach, not even animals lest they die. The God of the law is a hidden God. His face is only revealed in the person and work of Christ, who recapitulated the life of Adam and Israel, because Adam and Israel could not. It is Christ alone, not the law which is our righteousness, not just the forgiveness of sins, but our literal righteousness.

We are judged by the Ten Commandments James 2:10-12
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

We are saved by God's grace through our faith. Obedience is a fruit of our faith. When we want to do the will of God we are going to want to obey God's commandments.

You said:
We are aware of sins so that we overcome it.
And:
With God's laws written in our hearts and minds we can become a new creature from inside out.
----
This is incorrect. We become new creatures by grace alone, when we are regenerated. We cannot become new creatures by obeying the law. It is the righteousness of Christ in us, not our moral perfection or obedience which makes us new creatures. Christ's righteousness is greater than the righteousness according to the law. We are aware of sins, so that we can die daily to the law and live to God. This is the fundamental Pauline law-gospel dynamic. Our bodies are dead because of sin but our spirits are alive because of Christ's righteousness, whereby we call out to God, 'Father'.

Do you think you become more righteous and like God by lying, stealing, worshipping other gods and murdering or less righteous? You need to understand what you are saying here. Faith without works is dead. James 2:14-26 You can't say I love you God and curse His holy name, or worship other gods or lie and steal or break any of the commandments of God. This is not how you show love to anyone and especially our Creator and Savior who humbly asks, IF you love Me, keep My commandments John 14:15 and than provides us with the Holy Spirit so we can obey John 15-18, Acts 5:32 It really comes down to do you want to worship God in vain by worshipping Him by your traditions over keeping the commandments of God. Matthew 15:3-9

I don't understand what you are saying here. Of course by the law comes the knowledge of sin, but Adam and Eve, Noah and Abraham, ect. and all those who lived prior to the law, still needed a Savior. Christ came to save us from eternal death.
We are told where there is no sin there is no law. Romans 4:15 There was sin in heaven, so there had to be law because Lucifer sinned. There was law in Eden because Adam and Eve sinned. It was never God's intent to have sin enter in this world, which is why Jesus paid the penalty for us, but that does not give us a pass to willfully sin. Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for
sins,

We are told with God all things are possible which includes overcoming sin. Matthew 19:26 You think our sin is greater than our God, but I don't think that why. I think we can gain victory over sin, God's will for us when we want to obey with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Yes but you're not going to become sinless by obeying the law. You are made sinless by grace alone. The sermon on the Mount proves my point. The law of Christ is greater than the law of Moses, not it's parallel. When Christ was asked what work the Father would have them do, he replied, 'To believe on the one he has sent' and Paul says, 'To the man who does not work but trust God to justify the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness'.

God is not going to do all the work for us. We have free will and the ability to do the morally right thing (not sin) or the morally wrong thing (sin). We are saved by grace and Jesus will blot out all of our sins for those willing to repent and turn from sin. Please show me in scripture where we are saved from un-repented sin. The sermon on the mount Jesus never tells us we should not obey, He very much says the opposite.

Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus came to magnify God's laws from the inside out Isaiah 42:21 and we see this on the sermon on the mount. Jesus did not come to destroy or lessen the laws of God. Adultery starts from our thoughts, Jesus wants to change our thoughts so we are not thinking and doing perpetual sin. He wants us to overcome sin, not to be saved but because we are changed from the inside out by walking with the Spirit of Truth, that is there to help us obey the commandments of God. Acts 5:32

Murder Begins in the Heart
21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. 23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.

Adultery in the Heart
27 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

Keep means to guard. It does not imply moral perfection. John's point is that if we keep on sinning, we have forfeited the sacrifice of Christ as the Gnostics of whom he was writing, did.
We do not have to be perfect, we have a gracious Savior who will forgive us when we stumble and fall, but He wants us to be remorseful of our sins and turn from sin and look to Christ and do His will, not our own and obedience is a fruit of true faith.

Revelations 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
I disagree and lets look at the scripture again.

Matthew 19:21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

Jesus gave the rich man an invitation to Follow Him, but the rich man declined for he had great possessions. The rich man placed his great possessions "his god" over following Jesus and what does the commandment say? Exodus 20:3: “You shall have no other gods before Me. This could be anything you place over over Jesus. In this case it was money "great possessions". He wanted Jesus on his terms doing his will, not the will of Jesus- Jesus said Follow Me, which he declined because his god "possessions" was greater to him.
Your argument doesn't hold up because you first have to demonstrate that the rich man knew Christ to be God, in order to willfully break the first commandment. Secondly you are taking the first commandment to say something that it did not historically mean. The commandment is a prohibition against the Baals. You make a good point, but it's pastoral one, not an exegesical one.
You're getting the two covenants mixed up. James 2:10-12 is referring to God's Ten Comamndments. Deut 21:23 is not in the Ten Commandments and is part of the law of Moses that is contrary to us, God's laws are not burdensome 1 John 5:3

Why do you think that there are two covenants, and with whom did Israel make each Covenant?
Only people who have un-repented sin and refuse to turn from their sins will be condemned by the law.
But that's not all there is. And as I said before the law provided propitiation. Jesus did not come to be a replacement for sheep and goats and doves.

Jesus is waiting patiently because it is not His will that anyone shall perish.
God is not waiting patiently, he is actively working to save the unregenerated.

He wants to give the gift of eternal life but too many people choose their will over the will of God.

He already gave it through his life and is giving it through the Sacraments. He doesn't just want to. You seem to make God passive.
They want to love and obey God according to their terms, not God's will. God wrote His holy laws for us on stone for its eternal nature and now God's commandments are written in the heart and mind because this is God's will for us. We put God above everything else, love God with all our heart and mind and doing that you will want obey God. I'm not sure why anyone argues with this point.
Because you're confusing righteousness by the standard of the law with the righteousness that comes by the faithfulness of Jesus Christ.
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all. Ecclesiastes 12:13
Yes. We are supposed to guard the commandments.
Psalms 40:8 I delight to do Your will, O my God, And Your law is within my heart.”
Yes but, Christ is the primary one speaking here. It only applies to us insomuch as we are united to him.

We are judged by the Ten Commandments James 2:10-12
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
2 Corinthians 5 concerns martyrdom and repentance. James 2:10 is disciplinary. You are taking these verses out of context.
We are saved by God's grace through our faith. Obedience is a fruit of our faith. When we want to do the will of God we are going to want to obey God's commandments.
You're making the commandments your primary aim.
Do you think you become more righteous and like God by lying, stealing, worshipping other gods and murdering or less righteous? You need to understand what you are saying here. Faith without works is dead. James 2:14-26 You can't say I love you God and curse His holy name, or worship other gods or lie and steal or break any of the commandments of God. This is not how you show love to anyone and especially our Creator and Savior who humbly asks, IF you love Me, keep My commandments John 14:15 and than provides us with the Holy Spirit so we can obey John 15-18, Acts 5:32 It really comes down to do you want to worship God in vain by worshipping Him by your traditions over keeping the commandments of God. Matthew 15:3-9
No. I'm not Gnostic. What I am contending with you is that you seem to have no understanding of theosis, or why Christ recapitulated Adam and Israel's life (and is our righteousness because of it). You grant that we are forgiven by Christ's sacrifice and that is the Holy Spirit which enables us to be virtuous. But it is still the virtuous life (albeit out of love) , that is your aim. But Christ didn't come to make good people, he came to unite them to himself. Period, that is, union with Christ is not a means to an end. Neither can we be united to Christ through our obedience, because God is wholly other. Therefore, it must all be his work from beginning to end.

We are told where there is no sin there is no law. Romans 4:15 There was sin in heaven, so there had to be law because Lucifer sinned. There was law in Eden because Adam and Eve sinned. It was never God's intent to have sin enter in this world, which is why Jesus paid the penalty for us, but that does not give us a pass to willfully sin. Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for
sins,
We don't willfully sin (that is, go on sinning without repentance). But Christ did more than just pay the penalty. He lived our life for us! The angel of Rev. who fell from heaven, did so because the blood of the lamb and the power of the martyrs's testimony overcame him. Christ triumphed. It had nothing to do with the ten commandments or the Mosaic law. Adam and Eve sinned not by breaking a command but by moving from what was natural to deliberation. That is to say, sin entered when Eve was enticed to consider the fruit, taking the fruit was just the natural conclusion of succumbing to her now fallen passions. By contrast, Christ does not deliberate. He does not need to choose between good and evil. His human will is perfectly and freely orientated toward God.
We are told with God all things are possible which includes overcoming sin. Matthew 19:26 You think our sin is greater than our God, but I don't think that why. I think we can gain victory over sin, God's will for us when we want to obey with the help of the Holy Spirit.
I think you and I have a different definition of what it means to overcome sin, even Paul contended with a thorn in his flesh so as not to become prideful; a thorn he would have happily removed. And he goes further, saying, that which I do not want to do, I keep on doing....who will save me from this body of death?

God is not going to do all the work for us. We have free will and the ability to do the morally right thing (not sin) or the morally wrong thing (sin). We are saved by grace and Jesus will blot out all of our sins for those willing to repent and turn from sin. Please show me in scripture where we are saved from un-repented sin.

You misunderstand my argument. I am not saying that we can keep on sinning and expect Jesus to save us at the close of the bell. But neither am I saying that God does part and we do part. That's not synergy or freewill. Synergy is unitive; it is the union of God and Man in Christ. Christ is one person, a divine one who assumed flesh. It is God hypostatically united to our flesh, which moves us from unrepentance to repentance, will's bondage to freewill (not the same as choosing), death of the body, to immortality.

The sermon on the mount Jesus never tells us we should not obey, He very much says the opposite.

Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. 19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus came to magnify God's laws from the inside out Isaiah 42:21 and we see this on the sermon on the mount. Jesus did not come to destroy or lessen the laws of God. Adultery starts from our thoughts, Jesus wants to change our thoughts so we are not thinking and doing perpetual sin. He wants us to overcome sin, not to be saved but because we are changed from the inside out by walking with the Spirit of Truth, that is there to help us obey the commandments of God. Acts 5:32

Murder Begins in the Heart
21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that whoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment. And whoever says to his brother, ‘Raca!’ shall be in danger of the council. But whoever says, ‘You fool!’ shall be in danger of hell fire. 23 Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Agree with your adversary quickly, while you are on the way with him, lest your adversary deliver you to the judge, the judge hand you over to the officer, and you be thrown into prison. 26 Assuredly, I say to you, you will by no means get out of there till you have paid the last penny.

Adultery in the Heart
27 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.

We do not have to be perfect, we have a gracious Savior who will forgive us when we stumble and fall, but He wants us to be remorseful of our sins and turn from sin and look to Christ and do His will, not our own and obedience is a fruit of true faith.

Revelations 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints; here are those who keep the commandments of God and the faith of Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Your argument doesn't hold up because you first have to demonstrate that the rich man knew Christ to be God, in order to willfully break the first commandment. Secondly you are taking the first commandment to say something that it did not historically mean. The commandment is a prohibition against the Baals. You make a good point, but it's pastoral one, not an exegesical one.

Lets look back at the beginning of the story. He obviously thought Christ was God because he asked Jesus what do I need to do to enter into life. Jesus answered and started quoting directly from the Ten Commandments . Here's the beginning of the story:

Matthew 19:16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”
17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
18 He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”

This goes back to my point that the rich man knew about the commandments claimed he kept them from his youth, but wasn’t keeping all of them because he was breaking the first commandment Exodus 20:3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.

This does not say have no other Baals gods. It says no other gods which is anything you place above God. So I did not exegesis.

Why do you think that there are two covenants, and with whom did Israel make each Covenant?
There is the Law of God, written personally by the finger of God that is a covenant of Ten (not nine, or eight) Exodus 34:28, Deuteronomy 4:13 God spoke His law to the Nation. God's commandments was placed inside the ark in the Most Holy in God's Temple. God had a Temple on earth and one in Heaven Revelations 11:19. God's law is perfect Psalms 19:7 and reflects the very character of our Savior and is eternal Matthew 5:17-19. Removing the laws of God- what does it really mean?. The law of Moses was written by Moses in a book Deut 31:24, 1 Cor 9:9, was added because of sin Gal 3:19, contained curses Deut 29:20-21, Gal 3:10. The law of Moses and God's commandments have always been separated, they are different covenants and serve different purposes. God's Ten Commandments are Universal and Eternal. The law of Moses that contained ordinances Eph 2:15 which had the sacrificial system- blood and food offerings ended with Christ as our perfect sacrifice. Hebrews 10, Col 2:14 not God's eternal commandments.

But that's not all there is. And as I said before the law provided propitiation. Jesus did not come to be a replacement for sheep and goats and doves.
You are making arguments that I never made.

God is not waiting patiently, he is actively working to save the unregenerated.
You took what I said out of context. Jesus is delaying His second coming because it is not His will that anyone should perish, so He is waiting patiently until everyone has sealed their fate. I agree our mission now is to spread the Word with a LOUD VOICE

Revelations 14:6Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth—to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people— 7 saying with a loud voice, “Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.Which is actually a direct reference to the 4th commandment. Exodus 20:8-11 8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

He already gave it through his life and is giving it through the Sacraments. He doesn't just want to. You seem to make God passive.
This is your opinion, not mine or anything I stated.

Because you're confusing righteousness by the standard of the law with the righteousness that comes by the faithfulness of Jesus Christ.

You cannot have true faith and not believe what Jesus is saying. This is where I think you might be getting confused. You don't obey God's laws to be saved. You obey because you have faith in Jesus and believe and love Him with all our hearts and minds. We obey because though our faith we love Jesus with all our hearts and minds and want to believe and obey. How can you have faith in someone but do the opposite of what they ask? Obedience to the law is a fruit of our faith. It also how we demonstrate love to our Savior according to God. John 14:15, John 15:10, 1 John 5:3, Exodus 20:6

Proverbs 24:16For a righteous man may fall seven times
And rise again, But the wicked shall fall by calamity.

2 Corinthians 5 concerns martyrdom and repentance. James 2:10 is disciplinary. You are taking these verses out of context.
Let's take a look
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad
We will be judged by our works, it is very clear in scriptures Revelations 22:12 12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work
So there is nothing I am taking out of context.

James 2:8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well; 9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty.

Sorry these verses speak for themselves. We have an Advocate with Jesus so when we fall, seven times or as many as it takes "For a righteous man may fall seven times And rise again" rise again and overcome sin. We can gain Victory over sin. God's commandments are not burdensome 1 John 5:3. The churches that teach you this will have words of reckoning when Jesus comes Matthew 5:19

You're making the commandments your primary aim.
I don't think you understand. I don't really think about the commandments in my everyday life, they are not a burden to me. My focus is on my relationship with Jesus. Keeping the commandments are written in my heart and I want to obey them out of love. I used this example before with my husband and I'll use it again here so hopefully you understand the relationship with God and God's laws.

I am married, I took a vow to be faithful to my husband. I keep those vows because I love him. The closer I am with my husband the thought of cheating never enters my mind. I am not focused on I need to be faithful to my husband, I am focused on my relationship with him. Do I show love to my husband when I am faithful or cheating? It's the same way with obeying our Creator. It's one thing to say you love someone and another to show them. Jesus asks if you love Me, keep My commandments. John 14:15, John 15:10, 1 John 5:3, Exodus 20:6 It's how Jesus knows us. Matthew 7:21-23 and it is a fruit of our faith.

No. I'm not Gnostic. What I am contending with you is that you seem to have no understanding of theosis, or why Christ recapitulated Adam and Israel's life (and is our righteousness because of it). You grant that we are forgiven by Christ's sacrifice and that is the Holy Spirit which enables us to be virtuous. But it is still the virtuous life (albeit out of love) , that is your aim. But Christ didn't come to make good people, he came to unite them to himself. Period, that is, union with Christ is not a means to an end. Neither can we be united to Christ through our obedience, because God is wholly other. Therefore, it must all be his work from beginning to end.
Well, I think your argument is with scripture because Jesus says over and over again keep the commandments and it's how show love to Him and how He knows us. John 14:15, John 15:10, 1 John 5:3, Exodus 20:6, Mark 10:19, John 14:21, 1 John 2:3-4, 1 John 3:24,1 John 3:22, 2 John 1:6, 1 Thessalonians 4:2, Matthew 7:21-23, Revelations 14:12, Revelations 22:14-15

We don't willfully sin (that is, go on sinning without repentance). But Christ did more than just pay the penalty. He lived our life for us!
Jesus lived as an example for us- we are living our life and should follow Jesus as our example.

I think you and I have a different definition of what it means to overcome sin, even Paul contended with a thorn in his flesh so as not to become prideful; a thorn he would have happily removed. And he goes further, saying, that which I do not want to do, I keep on doing....who will save me from this body of death?
We should not be prideful with anything including keeping the commandments. Love is the reason we keep God's commandments and true faith. By obeying our Heavenly Father we are allowing God to be God we are placing His will above ours. Sin is selfishness, doing our will over God's will. Sin is defined as breaking God's laws 1 John 3:4, Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7 doing what we want over what God wants for us. Like I said before, we do not obey to be saved, it's because we love Jesus with all our hearts. The Holy Spirit is given for those who obey Acts 5:32 God's laws are not burdensome 1 John 5:3 our bodies are a dwelling place for the Holy Spirit and God's laws are now written in our hearts and minds in the New Covenant Hebrews 8:10, Jer 31:33. Our focus is love and our relationship with Jesus and obedience is just a fruit of our faith. Hope this helps.

God bless

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The prophet Isaiah predicted Jesus would come to magnify the law and make it honorable because of the slipping away

Isaiah 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

Which is exactly what Jesus did from the inside out. Matthew 5:17-30

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
You didn't address anything I wrote.
Two questions, what is the difference between the ten commandments as covenant and the Mosaic law as covenant, and do you believe that you are still bound to the first?
The prophet Isaiah predicted Jesus would come to magnify the law and make it honorable because of the slipping away

Isaiah 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

Which is exactly what Jesus did from the inside out. Matthew 5:17-30

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
My entire post is a question (inquiry into your beliefs). I am not your pastor pontificating from the pulpit :preach:. And I did ask about the commandment/Moses distinction.
How does Is 42 support your position?

This was the question I responded to and your post didn’t have any other questions. My response was to the question in this post so you might want to read it again. Take care

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
My entire post is a question. I am not your pastor pontificating from the pulpit :preach:. And I did ask about the commandment/Moses distinction.
How does Is 42 support your position?
Not in the post I responded to:Essentials verses non-Essentials which was addressed here Essentials verses non-Essentials. You're accusing me of something that is not true.

I already answered the other question in post #29. I would appreciated it though if we don't name call. I have not called you any names nor plan on it. This should be a discussion on scripture.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
What name did I call you?

BTW, in case you aren't aware, you labeled me a Gnostic or at best an Antinomian. Not that I care. Call me whatever you want. I'm here to hone my skills, so the more you can sling at me the better. I don't count it as sin. I am also here to learn.
Asking for clarification or making a misstep is to be expected since we both walltext.
So let's start over.
Not in the post I responded to:Essentials verses non-Essentials which was addressed here Essentials verses non-Essentials. You're accusing me of something that is not true.

I already answered the other question in post #29. I would appreciated it though if we don't name call. I have not called you any names nor plan on it. This should be a discussion on scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private

I am not accusing, I am saying that I do not understand how your Is. response addresses my question. I'll address #29 separately. Forgive me that I didn't see it. I thought I was keeping track, obviously not.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
I'm going to respond to this in sections. If that's ok?
Lets look back at the beginning of the story. He obviously thought Christ was God because he asked Jesus what do I need to do to enter into life. Jesus answered and started quoting directly from the Ten Commandments . Here's the beginning of the story:

Matthew 19:16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”
17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
18 He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?”

This goes back to my point that the rich man knew about the commandments claimed he kept them from his youth, but wasn’t keeping all of them because he was breaking the first commandment Exodus 20:3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.

This does not say have no other Baals gods. It says no other gods which is anything you place above God. So I did not exegesis.

There is the Law of God, written personally by the finger of God that is a covenant of Ten (not nine, or eight) Exodus 34:28, Deuteronomy 4:13 God spoke His law to the Nation. God's commandments was placed inside the ark in the Most Holy in God's Temple. God had a Temple on earth and one in Heaven Revelations 11:19. God's law is perfect Psalms 19:7 and reflects the very character of our Savior and is eternal Matthew 5:17-19. Removing the laws of God- what does it really mean?. The law of Moses was written by Moses in a book Deut 31:24, 1 Cor 9:9, was added because of sin Gal 3:19, contained curses Deut 29:20-21, Gal 3:10. The law of Moses and God's commandments have always been separated, they are different covenants and serve different purposes. God's Ten Commandments are Universal and Eternal. The law of Moses that contained ordinances Eph 2:15 which had the sacrificial system- blood and food offerings ended with Christ as our perfect sacrifice. Hebrews 10, Col 2:14 not God's eternal commandments.

You are making arguments that I never made.

You took what I said out of context. Jesus is delaying His second coming because it is not His will that anyone should perish, so He is waiting patiently until everyone has sealed their fate. I agree our mission now is to spread the Word with a LOUD VOICE

Revelations 14:6Then I saw another angel flying in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach to those who dwell on the earth—to every nation, tribe, tongue, and people— 7 saying with a loud voice, “Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment has come; and worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea and springs of water.Which is actually a direct reference to the 4th commandment. Exodus 20:8-11 8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

This is your opinion, not mine or anything I stated.

You cannot have true faith and not believe what Jesus is saying. This is where I think you might be getting confused. You don't obey God's laws to be saved. You obey because you have faith in Jesus and believe and love Him with all our hearts and minds. We obey because though our faith we love Jesus with all our hearts and minds and want to believe and obey. How can you have faith in someone but do the opposite of what they ask? Obedience to the law is a fruit of our faith. It also how we demonstrate love to our Savior according to God. John 14:15, John 15:10, 1 John 5:3, Exodus 20:6

Proverbs 24:16For a righteous man may fall seven times
And rise again, But the wicked shall fall by calamity.

Let's take a look
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad
We will be judged by our works, it is very clear in scriptures Revelations 22:12 12 “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to every one according to his work
So there is nothing I am taking out of context.

James 2:8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well; 9 but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. 11 For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. 12 So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty.

Sorry these verses speak for themselves. We have an Advocate with Jesus so when we fall, seven times or as many as it takes "For a righteous man may fall seven times And rise again" rise again and overcome sin. We can gain Victory over sin. God's commandments are not burdensome 1 John 5:3. The churches that teach you this will have words of reckoning when Jesus comes Matthew 5:19

I don't think you understand. I don't really think about the commandments in my everyday life, they are not a burden to me. My focus is on my relationship with Jesus. Keeping the commandments are written in my heart and I want to obey them out of love. I used this example before with my husband and I'll use it again here so hopefully you understand the relationship with God and God's laws.

I am married, I took a vow to be faithful to my husband. I keep those vows because I love him. The closer I am with my husband the thought of cheating never enters my mind. I am not focused on I need to be faithful to my husband, I am focused on my relationship with him. Do I show love to my husband when I am faithful or cheating? It's the same way with obeying our Creator. It's one thing to say you love someone and another to show them. Jesus asks if you love Me, keep My commandments. John 14:15, John 15:10, 1 John 5:3, Exodus 20:6 It's how Jesus knows us. Matthew 7:21-23 and it is a fruit of our faith.

Well, I think your argument is with scripture because Jesus says over and over again keep the commandments and it's how show love to Him and how He knows us. John 14:15, John 15:10, 1 John 5:3, Exodus 20:6, Mark 10:19, John 14:21, 1 John 2:3-4, 1 John 3:24,1 John 3:22, 2 John 1:6, 1 Thessalonians 4:2, Matthew 7:21-23, Revelations 14:12, Revelations 22:14-15

Jesus lived as an example for us- we are living our life and should follow Jesus as our example.

We should not be prideful with anything including keeping the commandments. Love is the reason we keep God's commandments and true faith. By obeying our Heavenly Father we are allowing God to be God we are placing His will above ours. Sin is selfishness, doing our will over God's will. Sin is defined as breaking God's laws 1 John 3:4, Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7 doing what we want over what God wants for us. Like I said before, we do not obey to be saved, it's because we love Jesus with all our hearts. The Holy Spirit is given for those who obey Acts 5:32 God's laws are not burdensome 1 John 5:3 our bodies are a dwelling place for the Holy Spirit and God's laws are now written in our hearts and minds in the New Covenant Hebrews 8:10, Jer 31:33. Our focus is love and our relationship with Jesus and obedience is just a fruit of our faith. Hope this helps.

God bless

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
1st Section:

So did the rich man sin without knowing it?
Awaiting your reply to proceed.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You didn't address anything I wrote.
Two questions, what is the difference between the ten commandments as covenant and the Mosaic law as covenant, and do you believe that you are still bound to the first?
Hi there,

For the record this is a different question than the question I responded to, but I am happy to answer this question as well.

There are a lot of differences between the two covenants. God wrote personally wrote the Ten Commandments on stone Exodus 31:18, 32:16 Only the Ten Commandments were placed inside the ark of the covenant Exodus 40:20. God’s law points out sin Roman 7:7, Romans 3:20 and are not grievous to keep 1 John 5:3. God’s law judges all men James 2:10-12. God’s law is spiritual Romans 7:14 and perfect Psalm 19:7 brings blessings and peace Proverbs 29:18, Psalm 119:165 and God’s laws are eternal Matthew 5:17-19

The law of Moses was written by Moses in a book Deuteronomy 31:24, 2 Chronicles 35:12, placed on the side of the ark Deut 31:26. Moses’ law was added because of sin Gal 3:19 and was contrary to us Col 2:14. Moses law judges no man Col 2:14-16 and was carnal Hebrews 7:16 and contained curses Deut 29:20-21, Gal 3:10, Moses law made nothing perfect Hebrews 7:19

We are in the New Covenant now where God tells us He writes His laws in our hearts and minds Hebrews 8:10, Jeremiah 31:33. There are some changes in the New Covenant and we need to look to Hebrews as to what changed.

@LoveGodsWord writes it best so I took this from him
The laws for remission of sins according to the scriptures are now fulfilled and continued in Christ to who they pointed to and are continued in Him (Hebrews 7:1-25; Hebrews 8:1-13; Hebrews 9:1-27 and Hebrews 10:1-22. On the other hand in the new covenant Gods' law (10 commandments) have the same role they always had and that is to give us the knowledge of what sin is when broken *Romans 3:20; Romans 7:7; 1 John 3:4 and if we break anyone of them according to the scriptures we stand guilty before God of sin *James 2:10-11.

In the new covenant Christ is our Mediator Hebrews 8:6 and the new covenant is based on better promises but God’s Ten Commandments which were written on stone by the hand of God is now written in our hearts and minds. We obey them out of love John 14:15, John 15:10, 1 John 5:3 and they are in our minds so we remember to do them. James 1:22, Revelations 22:14

God bless

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
1st Section:

So did the rich man sin without knowing it?
Awaiting your reply to proceed.
The rich man knew he was sinning which is why he went away sad. The rich man wanted everlasting life on his terms, not the terms set fourth by Jesus. Sadly this happens everyday. People want the blessings we receive in Christ, but they want to follow Christ on their terms not what is set fourth in the Word of God.

Upvote 0