• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Eric Sammons: A Guide to Living in an Orwellian Digital Age

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Fenwick, Jan 13, 2021 at 7:08 PM.

1. Fenwick

Fenwick ☩ Broman Catholic ☩

+8,733
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    Eric Sammon's has really shot up to the top of my list of Catholic writers since his content doesn't seem to skew too radical like some others I've followed in the past 1-2 years. Recently he was promoted to Editor-In-Chief of Crisis Magazine, which is probably one of the better publications out there along with One Peter Five (IMO).

He published this to his personal website but I think it's something great to think about given recent events and really what's been going on over the past year, five years, 10 years, etc. Eric's a libertarian so you know he's evaluating things from that lens which I think is important right now. It's really more of a practical piece making suggestions for our tech usage given how the ground has shifted lately.

We shouldn’t really be surprised by the massive censorship Big Tech is now engaging in. It began years ago, when they started to ban “fringe” figures like Milo Yiannopoulos and Alex Jones. Most people didn’t really care for those figures, so they didn’t really care that they were booted from social media. But once COVID-19 hit, the censorship went up another notch—anything related to the virus that did not conform to the establishment party line was swiftly removed from YouTubeFacebookTwitter.
    A Guide to Living in an Orwellian Digital Age

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+2,303
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    This is such a big problem, but with the new Democratic government it is highly unlikely that section 230 will be revisited. A little guy like Parler probably needs a web-based approach that can work around things like Apple's app-store totalitarianism.

3. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+7,823
    Christian
    Tor has been around for quite some time. In fact that is how journalist Glen Greenwald and Snowden communicated. I don't believe there is a government backdoor. Spys and terror groups use Tor and encryption as well.

What I didn't understand is why one of the encryption apps took off in such big numbers unless there are large groups wanting to hide information from intelligence sources. Curious.

4. Fenwick

Fenwick ☩ Broman Catholic ☩

+8,733
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Republican
    They probably will do that, since I imagine the only other way will be jailbreaking methods which can brick the user's phone. I know they're suing Amazon but they may also be in the process of finding an alternative server site, maybe even their own.

Gab's been working around the clock to install new servers cause they saw a surge of like 600K new users in one day after Parler got shutdown, but man they're still struggling to keep up with demand.

I haven't confirmed this but I heard today that the owner/founder of Gab might be Catholic, so that's cool.

Ah yeah I remember Tor years ago, I liked it but the uplink times were slow—such is the nature of the beast when your bouncing your IP through multiple locations. Brave browser actually has Tor built in as a second "incognito" option.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,758
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    It's time for all of that now. That is if it's not too late. We already lost privacy but we had access. Now we have censorship, so we are losing access too.

pgp makes it so they have to try a lot harder to figure out what I'm saying. I don't mind them wasting their time to know what I said.

6. zippy2006

zippy2006 Dragonsworn

+2,303
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    Right. Now instead of net neutrality concerns regarding ISPs the same concerns are arising with second-level monopolistic services like Amazon Web Services. There is a global interest in finding a way to apply anti-trust laws to big tech and internet companies.

Business Insider reports that Germany, France, and the UK are worried about Twitter's banning of Trump: Angela Merkel says Twitter's decision to bar Trump is a threat to free speech