Episcopal vs Baptist - What are the main differences?

Jan 30, 2013
✟7,611.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
Planning to get married in an Episopal church. but my fiance's family are presbyterian (pca) and Baptist.

Her dad was pretty angry when we said that we planned on marrying in an episcopal church. I am trying to do research and figure out some of the major theological differences between episcopals and most other evangelical groups such as baptists. I am well aware in the differences of each mass but i am interested in the theological differences outside of the obvious (gay marriage etc)

Please let me know :)

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Planning to get married in an Episopal church. but my fiance's family are presbyterian (pca) and Baptist.

Her dad was pretty [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ed when we said that we planned on marrying in an episcopal church. I am trying to do research and figure out some of the major theological differences between episcopals and most other evangelical groups such as baptists. I am well aware in the differences of each mass but i am interested in the theological differences outside of the obvious (gay marriage etc)

The differences between Baptist and Episcopal churches are, frankly, very many and very significant. To your future father in law, I'm sure they are huge.

Episcopalians are sacramental (forgiveness and grace imparted); Baptists see them as mere ordinances.

Episcopalians are governed by bishops; Baptists oppose all kinds of hierarchical rule.

Episcopalians normally baptise infants by pouring; Baptists baptise by immersion only those old enough to make a personal profession of faith.

Episcopalians revere the saints; Baptists see that as offensive.

Episcopalians are very ceremonial; Baptist worship is free-form and without much adornment.

But, BTW, marriages normally take place in the bride's church; how did the Episcopal church come to be your choice? Maybe that's part of the problem with him, not just the particular denomination.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Her dad was pretty [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]ed when we said that we planned on marrying in an episcopal church. I am trying to do research and figure out some of the major theological differences between episcopals and most other evangelical groups such as baptists. I am well aware in the differences of each mass but i am interested in the theological differences outside of the obvious (gay marriage etc)

Episcopalians are Catholic; Presbyterians are Protestant; Baptists are Protestants
Episcopalians are sacramental; Presbyterians reject sacramentalism; Baptists reject sacramentalism
Episcopalians acknowledge the Real Presence of Christ in Holy Communion; Presbyterians believe there to be only a spiritual or pneumonic presence; Baptists reject any sort of presence belief and are strictly memorialists
Episcopalians accept the authority of Holy Tradition to which Holy Scripture is primary (prima scriptura); Presbyterians are sola scriptura; Baptists are solo scriptura
Episcopalians are episcopal in their church polity (bishops); Presbyterians are presbyterial in their polity (elders); Baptists can be hierarchical approaching episcopal structure (but without bishops) or presbyterial or even congregational in their polity
Episcopalians have retained the ancient three sacred orders of ordained ministry; Presbyterians do not; Baptists do not
Episcopalians believe and have maintained Apostolic Succession; Presbyterians rejected and abandoned it; Baptists rejected and abandoned it
Episcopalians accept seven sacraments; Presbyterians recognize two ordinances; Baptists recognize two ordinances
Episcopalians reject Calvinism and tend to acknowledge theosis; Presbyterians accept Calvinism; Baptists can be either Calvinist, Arminian, or somewhere in between

Upvote 0

SQLservant

Dec 20, 2011
✟15,592.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, or at least not in the understanding that Catholics have about it.
I see. I was under the impression that they believed that they imparted grace, at least.

Themoreyouknow.jpg

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

I see. I was under the impression that they believed that they imparted grace, at least.

Presbyterians have a sacramental view of baptism and communion and believe that they are "means of grace." That said, their view does differ from that of Catholics, Anglicans, and Lutherans, none of whom fully agree with each other. Baptists are Zwinglian in their understanding, seeing both as memorial in nature and not "means of grace."

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Presbyterians have a sacramental view of baptism and communion and believe that they are "means of grace." That said, their view does differ from that of Catholics, Anglicans, and Lutherans, none of whom fully agree with each other. Baptists are Zwinglian in their understanding, seeing both as memorial in nature and not "means of grace."

This. Plus, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and the Church of the East agree with the Catholics in regards to sacramental view of Baptism and Communion (also known as Eucharist).

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This. Plus, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and the Church of the East agree with the Catholics in regards to sacramental view of Baptism and Communion (also known as Eucharist).

They probably would prefer not having it worded so as to make it seem that they all defer to the RC in this matter, however. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I was under the impression that Presbyterianism generally traces back to John Knox and the Scottish Reformation, with Knox having studied with Calvin, but agreeing with Zwingli concerning the view of the Sacraments.

I'm not saying that Presbyterians are Zwinglian; just that I was under the impression that Knox was influenced by Zwingli.

I admit that I might be quite mistaken in this area.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

VolRaider

Dec 18, 2010
Athens, TN
✟17,538.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Episcopalians are Catholic; Presbyterians are Protestant; Baptists are Protestants
Episcopalians are sacramental; Presbyterians reject sacramentalism; Baptists reject sacramentalism
Episcopalians acknowledge the Real Presence of Christ in Holy Communion; Presbyterians believe there to be only a spiritual or pneumonic presence; Baptists reject any sort of presence belief and are strictly memorialists
Episcopalians accept the authority of Holy Tradition to which Holy Scripture is primary (prima scriptura); Presbyterians are sola scriptura; Baptists are solo scriptura
Episcopalians are episcopal in their church polity (bishops); Presbyterians are presbyterial in their polity (elders); Baptists can be hierarchical approaching episcopal structure (but without bishops) or presbyterial or even congregational in their polity
Episcopalians have retained the ancient three sacred orders of ordained ministry; Presbyterians do not; Baptists do not
Episcopalians believe and have maintained Apostolic Succession; Presbyterians rejected and abandoned it; Baptists rejected and abandoned it
Episcopalians accept seven sacraments; Presbyterians recognize two ordinances; Baptists recognize two ordinances
Episcopalians reject Calvinism and tend to acknowledge theosis; Presbyterians accept Calvinism; Baptists can be either Calvinist, Arminian, or somewhere in between

I was raised Episcopalian but was taught that baptism and communion were the two more important sacraments. We did acknowledge the other five, but two always "stood out."
Also, I was not familiar with theosis until I left the Episcopal Church. I know it is stressed by the Eastern churches and has some similarities to Wesley's Christian Perfection theology, but I never heard the term used or explained by my priest.
Also, we accepted the Real Presence but never tried to explain it in a Catholic (transubstantiation), Lutheran (consubstantiation), etc. sense. We said it was a "mystery."

You were spot on about the Baptists (I married in a Baptish church). Anything that remotely looks Catholic (sans the core beliefs about Jesus being our Savior and the Resurrection) is rejected by Baptists.

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟20,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm a ol' very conservative Lutheran, ol' school, and I never knew how I stood comprehensively, compared to others, as you folks so well brought forth, yet I thought I did ... now not confused but set straight ... good thread, thank you. Doesn't really help the 'getting married' situation but really helped me.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm a ol' very conservative Lutheran, ol' school, and I never knew how I stood comprehensively, compared to others, as you folks so well brought forth, yet I thought I did ... now not confused but set straight ... good thread, thank you. Doesn't really help the 'getting married' situation but really helped me.

Dude, you use way too many elipses. Your sentences can get very confusing at times.

Upvote 0

shturt678

Senior Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Hawaii
✟20,928.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm also an ol' retired, just a run of the mill type teacher, and had to come out of retirement ... others have been assigned to me to translate my words into lucid, clear, and to the point structures of thoughts .... This is getting to the point to 'when am i going to finally get it?' and I need to raise the bar by heeding your words sir ... thank you so so much! I was also way to late allowing the Holy Spirit remove ALL secret sins ... wow God is so patient .... just need help in these ellipses and doing it again. Back to the thread and thank you again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

everbecoming2007

Dec 4, 2012
wherever I am at any given moment
✟70,470.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was raised Episcopalian but was taught that baptism and communion were the two more important sacraments. We did acknowledge the other five, but two always "stood out."
Baptism and Communion are Sacraments of the Gospel (instituted by Jesus). The other five can be called sacraments (the 39 Articles refers to them as being commonly called sacraments), and in a sense they are, but the catechism refers to them as sacramental rites to distinguish Baptism and Communion as necessary for all unlike the five sacramental rites. The other five are also not considered to have been directly established by Christ (although this may make little difference if they are inspired by the Holy Spirit, as the Holy Spirit does not act separately from the will of Christ and God the Father).

Marriage is a sacrament/sacramental rite and is maintained in the Baptist and Presbyterian churches, but I'm not sure if they understand it to be a means of grace as Anglicans do. Their marriages are nevertheless valid in the eyes of the Episcopal Church. Like Roman Catholics but unlike the Eastern Orthodox, we believe the couple itself is the minister of the sacrament/sacramental rite of marriage.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

It is pretty difficult to talk about the differences between Baptists or Presbyterians and Anglicans, because the Anglican Church plays host to as many theologies as you can shake a stick at. Some Anglicans are almost indistinguishable from Baptists, others are almost indistinguishable from Catholics, and there is every shade of opinion in between. And that is not to mention the conservative/liberal divide.

Upvote 0