Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My parents are being confirmed in the Episcopal Church next month. My mother wants to know if there is a very plainly written book that explains your Theology. They were only able to make it to 2 of the confirmation classes.

She also wants to know if there is something that explains how to do morning and evening prayers (she is used to the Orthodox way)

For Mom confirmation in the Episcopal Church is a compromise for the sake of her marriage. My father is non-denominational Charismatic and my mother wanted to convert to Orthodoxy. Dad is adamantly opposed to that. At the advice of a priest she has agreed to "meet in the middle".

Her rector is quite aware that she sees this as a stepping stone to the Orthodox Church, but really wants both of my parents to be confirmed anyways. I think Mom would feel less troubled about confirmation if she understood what you believe.

While I would love to see my parents in my Church, I am encouraging her to attend services with my father and learn more about what y'all believe.

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
My parents are being confirmed in the Episcopal Church next month. My mother wants to know if there is a very plainly written book that explains your Theology. They were only able to make it to 2 of the confirmation classes.

She also wants to know if there is something that explains how to do morning and evening prayers (she is used to the Orthodox way)

For Mom confirmation in the Episcopal Church is a compromise for the sake of her marriage. My father is non-denominational Charismatic and my mother wanted to convert to Orthodoxy. Dad is adamantly opposed to that. At the advice of a priest she has agreed to "meet in the middle".

Her rector is quite aware that she sees this as a stepping stone to the Orthodox Church, but really wants both of my parents to be confirmed anyways. I think Mom would feel less troubled about confirmation if she understood what you believe.

While I would love to see my parents in my Church, I am encouraging her to attend services with my father and learn more about what y'all believe.

There are a number of options for morning and evening prayer. There is an order in the American BCP - I don't know what it is like. That is what would probably be used in public morning or evening prayer in her church. I use the Canadian BCP which is very similar to the previous American one, and I like it a lot. The schedule of readings is good and it takes you through the psalms once a month.

A friend of mine uses one called St Augustine's Prayer Book which has some nice features. It's Anglo-Catholic, and fairly popular. My husband uses one called "Celebrating Common Prayer" which he likes.

It's worthwhile to look for all of these second-hand.

Upvote 0

cobweb

Cranky octogenarian at heart
Jan 12, 2006
Georgia, USA
✟20,938.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are a number of options for morning and evening prayer. There is an order in the American BCP - I don't know what it is like. That is what would probably be used in public morning or evening prayer in her church. I use the Canadian BCP which is very similar to the previous American one, and I like it a lot. The schedule of readings is good and it takes you through the psalms once a month.

A friend of mine uses one called St Augustine's Prayer Book which has some nice features. It's Anglo-Catholic, and fairly popular. My husband uses one called "Celebrating Common Prayer" which he likes.

It's worthwhile to look for all of these second-hand.

I think she is looking for morning and evening prayers that are done alone. Is the BCP used for this?

She is used to praying Orthodox morning and evening prayers and doing Scripture readings from the Lectionary in her icon corner, but she has packed up her icons and agreed to try to do things "the Episcopal way". She's simply not quite sure how to do that. Everyone she speaks to in her parish says there is no real set way to do things.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think she is looking for morning and evening prayers that are done alone. Is the BCP used for this?

She is used to praying Orthodox morning and evening prayers and doing Scripture readings from the Lectionary in her icon corner, but she has packed up her icons and agreed to try to do things "the Episcopal way". She's simply not quite sure how to do that. Everyone she speaks to in her parish says there is no real set way to do things.

It is designed for public use, but easy for personal use as well. You simply read both parts as appropriate, and leave out the absolution. I will say I know some people don't think the daily offices are as strong in the newer prayer books. Some of them use a different translation of the psalms too which is really not up to the standard of the Coverdale psalms - I don't know if this is the case with the American BCP.

She really does not need to pack up her icons though. Lots of Anglicans use them.

Here is what I use, from the Canadian BCP. The table of lessons and psalms are at the front of the book - just click the link to the prayer book online to get to the table of contents.

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Coming from a Church of England and with our main liturgical texts (called Common Worship), the texts we use have a good summary of how daily prayer is understood and how to do it.

If interested all the common worship material can be found here.
Common Worship Texts

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟840,613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
IMHO, there is no reason for your mother to give up her icons or her habit of praying daily readings from her lectionary.

While the Anglican Church is less formal, it is accepting of much of Orthodox practice. I have several times suggested that, except for an accident of history, the Church of England could be an Orthodox Church. When this came up on another thread recently, the big issue was the marriage of bishops, hardly a primary concern.

So my bottom line would be that there is little that your mother must change to be accepted and acceptable with the Anglican Communion.

Upvote 0