Episcopal bishop arrested in anti-war rally

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

adam752

SAN FRANCISCO - The new leader of Northern California Episcopalians was arrested in a protest of the Iraq war, although it took a couple of tries before he was granted his wish to be handcuffed.
The Rt. Rev. Mark Handley Andrus was arrested Thursday for blocking the entrance to the San Francisco federal building. He was among about 200 protesters who had marched from Grace Cathedral as part of a weekly anti-war rally that has been held for about five years.
Federal Protective Service officers arrested 11 other protesters for blocking the door, and all were cited and released.
"God is with all who have suffered in Iraq," the bishop, wearing his purple robe and carrying a shepherd's staff, said. "This war needs to be opposed. Even though there is widespread sentiment against the war, we need to continue to push for peace."
The officers had passed over Andrus in a first round of arrests because he was not positioned directly in front of the federal building's doors. After Andrus got up, moved a few steps and lay down again directly in front of the entrance, the officers returned and placed him in handcuffs, while one said, "How are you?" and shook the cleric's hand.
Many of those at the protest made it clear they too wanted to be handcuffed, apparently to make a political statement. A half-dozen other people who lay down in front of the door got up and left when it became clear no more arrests would be made.
"What do you have to do to get arrested in this town?" said Matt Cantor.
"Well, the bishop got arrested," said Cathy Lipscomb, another door blocker who wasn't apprehended. "That was the important thing."
The Episcopal Diocese of California chose Andrus as bishop last spring.

http://happening-here.blogspot.com/2006/12/episcopal-bishop-arrested-in-war.html

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/news/16197146.htm

plaid_pixie

Jul 17, 2005
✟7,726.00
Faith
Christian
+Mark is a great leader of a great diocese.

Thank God for his witness.

first, he hasn't been consecrated yet, has he?

secondly, he is taking on a political issue when there are much more important things that he, as an designated successor to the apostles, should be taking on.

Upvote 0

CSMR

Totally depraved
Nov 6, 2003
Oxford, UK & Princeton, USA
Visit site
✟3,466.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Romans 13
1Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

3For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

5Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Romans 13
1Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.

3For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:

4For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

5Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.

And your point? :) :confused:

Upvote 0

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
first, he hasn't been consecrated yet, has he?

secondly, he is taking on a political issue when there are much more important things that he, as an designated successor to the apostles, should be taking on.
He was a bishop before he was elected.
And he has already been seated in the cathedral.

Second, speaking out against war and violence is most definitely in line with the teaching of Christ, and a very appropriate, apostolic thing to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

plaid_pixie

Jul 17, 2005
✟7,726.00
Faith
Christian
He was a bishop before he was elected.
And he has already been seated in the cathedral.

i did not know that. please forgive me.

Second, speaking out against war and violence is most definitely in line with the teaching of Christ, and a very appropriate, apostolic thing to do.

he is taking a political position, when he should be concentrating on the problems in the church. the episcopal church has become what it has become partially as a result of its concentration on social issues. i agree that it is important to work for peace, and i agree that we must work for human dignity, but how are we to represent Christ in the world if all we do is work for the world and do not determine what the nature of the church or Christ is? obviously, we are not united on a definition of what Jesus is.

higgs2 said:
Maybe someone should give that verse to Bishop Schofield! ^_^

perhaps someone should do the same to Katherine Schori.

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

he is taking a political position, when he should be concentrating on the problems in the church. the episcopal church has become what it has become partially as a result of its concentration on social issues. i agree that it is important to work for peace, and i agree that we must work for human dignity, but how are we to represent Christ in the world if all we do is work for the world and do not determine what the nature of the church or Christ is? obviously, we are not united on a definition of what Jesus is.

She's not violating the canons and constitution of the Episcopal Church. And even if you can spin things to find a way to show that in your opinion she is, do two wrongs make a right?

Upvote 0

plaid_pixie

Jul 17, 2005
✟7,726.00
Faith
Christian
She's not violating the canons and constitution of the Episcopal Church. And even if you can spin things to find a way to show that in your opinion she is, do two wrongs make a right?

i am not refering to the constition or canons of the episcopal church. nor has bishop schofield broken his ordination vows.

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
i am not refering to the constition or canons of the episcopal church. nor has bishop schofield broken his ordination vows.

Okay, there is probably some point you are trying to make, but I don't think it has anything to do with the comment of mine that you replied to. :)

Upvote 0
J

JasonV

Romans 13

I think we should remove that epistle from the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chalice_thunder

Senior Veteran
Jan 13, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟7,202.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No worries :wave:

The church is here to transform the world, one heart at a time. If we cannot address social issues, we cannot address anybody. Working to wage peace is not working for the world. Do we not follow the Prince of Peace?

Maybe you and others can join us in prayer for our Primate instead of always trying to run her down. For heaven's sake - before July, very few people had ever heard of this woman, and now she's the most hated person in the communion...except for Bp. Robinson, of course.

Upvote 0

higgs2

not a nutter
Sep 10, 2004
✟26,247.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
The church is here to transform the world, one heart at a time. If we cannot address social issues, we cannot address anybody. Working to wage peace is not working for the world. Do we not follow the Prince of Peace?

:thumbsup: Hmmm. Good point. It's a good thing that MLK did not interprete that passage the way some of the posters here do! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.