olds8598

Overcomer of Divorce
Jul 26, 2013
✟18,057.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Below is a very interesting view (and one which I personally agree with) concerning divorce. It is from Dena Johnson Ministries (another Christian site which helps me with my Christian walk).

Author Gary Thomas wrote a book, Sacred Marriage, in which he states marriage was designed to make us holy more than happy.

And, over the years, I have had many people use it to tell me I should have never walked away, I should have stuck it out and allowed God to use my marriage to make me holy rather than focusing on happiness.

Shame and guilt. Doubt and condemnation.

Last week, however, Thomas wrote a blog post entitled Enough is Enough. He talked about a recent marriage conference where he was confronted with story after story of women suffering through hellacious marriages, marriages fraught with all types of verbal, emotional, sexual, and mental abuse.

Did he say, “Hang in there. Marriage is designed to make you holy not happy”? Did he say, “You took a vow and you have to keep it no matter the cost”? Did he say, “If you love him well and pray enough your marriage will survive”?

NO! He said, “Enough is enough!” Enough of women suffering untold abuse in the name of keeping a marriage together! Enough of the church valuing an institution over a person! Enough of women sacrificing their God-given purpose for a man who doesn’t value them! Enough of this shame, guilt, and condemnation being heaped upon women for walking away from abusive marriages!

Thomas, the man who holds marriage in highest esteem and has dedicated his life to encouraging Christians to stay in their marriages, to encouraging Christians to allow marriage to make them holy, says enough is enough!

In his own words, [women need] to be protected from such grotesque abuse, and if divorce is the only weapon to protect her, then the church should thank God such a weapon exists.

Our loyalty to marriage is good and noble and true. But when loyalty to a relational structure allows evil to continue it is a false loyalty, even an evil loyalty.

Christian leaders and friends, we have to see that some evil men are using their wives’ Christian guilt and our teaching about the sanctity of marriage as a weapon to keep harming them.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time to throw away the rags of shame and guilt, of doubt and condemnation! It is time to stand tall, to tell the world we walked away because we were following God’s instructions. It’s time we stand together and proclaim there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1).

It is time the church recognizes divorce is always caused by sin, but divorce itself is not always sinful.

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The number of women who claim some form of abuse or something during divorce proceedings is simply not believable. I wish these silly white knights would stop virtue-signalling already.

Upvote 0

pat34lee

Messianic
Sep 13, 2011
Florida, USA
✟89,330.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It is time the church recognizes divorce is always caused by sin, but divorce itself is not always sinful.

Actually, yes, it is sinful. ALWAYS.

The problem is that divorce is not a single mistake. It is the end result of leaving God out of our decision-making beginning long before marriage.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Below is a very interesting view (and one which I personally agree with) concerning divorce. It is from Dena Johnson Ministries (another Christian site which helps me with my Christian walk).

Author Gary Thomas wrote a book, Sacred Marriage, in which he states marriage was designed to make us holy more than happy.

And, over the years, I have had many people use it to tell me I should have never walked away, I should have stuck it out and allowed God to use my marriage to make me holy rather than focusing on happiness.

Shame and guilt. Doubt and condemnation.

Last week, however, Thomas wrote a blog post entitled Enough is Enough. He talked about a recent marriage conference where he was confronted with story after story of women suffering through hellacious marriages, marriages fraught with all types of verbal, emotional, sexual, and mental abuse.

Did he say, “Hang in there. Marriage is designed to make you holy not happy”? Did he say, “You took a vow and you have to keep it no matter the cost”? Did he say, “If you love him well and pray enough your marriage will survive”?

NO! He said, “Enough is enough!” Enough of women suffering untold abuse in the name of keeping a marriage together! Enough of the church valuing an institution over a person! Enough of women sacrificing their God-given purpose for a man who doesn’t value them! Enough of this shame, guilt, and condemnation being heaped upon women for walking away from abusive marriages!

Thomas, the man who holds marriage in highest esteem and has dedicated his life to encouraging Christians to stay in their marriages, to encouraging Christians to allow marriage to make them holy, says enough is enough!

In his own words, [women need] to be protected from such grotesque abuse, and if divorce is the only weapon to protect her, then the church should thank God such a weapon exists.

Our loyalty to marriage is good and noble and true. But when loyalty to a relational structure allows evil to continue it is a false loyalty, even an evil loyalty.

Christian leaders and friends, we have to see that some evil men are using their wives’ Christian guilt and our teaching about the sanctity of marriage as a weapon to keep harming them.

Ladies and gentlemen, it is time to throw away the rags of shame and guilt, of doubt and condemnation! It is time to stand tall, to tell the world we walked away because we were following God’s instructions. It’s time we stand together and proclaim there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1).

Finally someone who is saying like it is. For too long in countries right across the world women suffer physical violence, mental and financial abuse. In Australia two women die a week as a result of domestic violence. To me the lame pathetic cries from men whining about false claims or its they who suffer the violence, are no longer held credible when the weight of statistics of any law enforcement agency you care to mention doesn't support them. To the men I too say enough is enough. To the decent men this doesn't apply to I say don't silently witness what you know other men to be doing. And to the men who try to down play this OP's thread, go to a law enforcement website so that your views reflect actual fact instead of emotional rant.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
God is more concerned with the people of the marriage than the institute of marriage. And yes, sometimes even divorce is God's will. Don't believe me? Although not a good exegesis, God commanded His people to divorce, and some where sad because they had kids.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I read this article a few weeks ago. I have to say I was impressed that a church leader would stand up and say this as I've read for decades now on the web stories of women who were hurting because of the way their husbands had treated them. If they had taken to their husbands asking them to treat them with love and respect and their husbands didn't listen or change, then I advised them to leave.
That being said I've also read of women who have treated their husbands in a way that was divesting to the husband. Then there are the effects of mental illness and addictions that effect the whole family. Sometimes these people can with and sometimes these people will destroy the lives around them if the family is kept together. I say the health of the members of the family are more important than the institution of marriage. So get away from a person who is destroying other people be they family members or friends.
There no doubt is sin that leads up to a divorce. But divorce itself can be a start to a healing process that is at the center of Jesus is doing to bring salvation/healing to families. When that is the case I have no problems encouraging people to get a divorce.

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not holding my breath for American churches to start forming Bible studies and support groups for divorced adults...

We are the shunned and ignored members of the modern church...

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thankfully my church has Divorce Care that is pretty good. I went thru the class twice and it was at the transition of the previous version to the update version. I found all the topics covered to be enlightening. Tho the chapter on dating and sexuality once single again went from OK in the earlier version to pretty negative in my mind. But I'm so glad my church has something to offer.

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

rubyinprogress

God's Daughter
Site Supporter
May 5, 2012
Texas
✟53,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The number of women who claim some form of abuse or something during divorce proceedings is simply not believable. I wish these silly white knights would stop virtue-signalling already.

There are a lot of statistics that are "not believable". That doesn't make them untrue. For example 1 out of 4 girls are sexual abused by the age of 18. 1 out of 5 or 6 boys. It happens. I work as a counselor. I hear these stories on a regular basis...domestic violence, psychological abuse, etc. I encourage you to begin researching abuse within Christian marriages and within the church. Check out mendingthesoul.org as a jumping off point for the subject.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are a lot of statistics that are "not believable". That doesn't make them untrue.
No but the fact that many of them are untrue kinda sorta makes them untrue.

For example 1 out of 4 girls are sexual abused by the age of 18. 1 out of 5 or 6 boys. It happens. I work as a counselor. I hear these stories on a regular basis...domestic violence, psychological abuse, etc. I encourage you to begin researching abuse within Christian marriages and within the church. Check out mendingthesoul.org as a jumping off point for the subject.
Interesting. But completely unrelated to the subject of this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rubyinprogress

God's Daughter
Site Supporter
May 5, 2012
Texas
✟53,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No but the fact that many of them are untrue kinda sorta makes them untrue.

Interesting. But completely unrelated to the subject of this thread.

It is related in that dark, horrible things happen. Sometimes our knee jerk reaction is to discount it as "untrue" because it is so abhorrent. I encourage you to not discount domestic abuse because you don't want to believe it is true. Many times women are re-victimized by churches, by courts and by "well meaning" people because they are disbelieved.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Unfortunately when abuse occurs in Christian marriages, there are churches who allow and encourage it continue because of headship/submission and for the sake of getting people to stay married. This was a real struggle for me when my marriage fell apart. When I was seeking help, the church added to the abuse by heaping on the spiritual abuse of making me out to be the sinner for wanting it all to end and taking a stand.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not holding my breath for American churches to start forming Bible studies and support groups for divorced adults...

We are the shunned and ignored members of the modern church...
This caught my interest. Ages ago I was a member of a Southern Baptist congregation. I guess technically I still am a member since they won't cancel my membership even though I've asked them to. The singles ministry groups included a fair number of divorcees. The older the age group, the more likely a divorce was. Go far enough up the age bracket and you'll land in a small group that was made up almost of nothing but divorcees.

Put plainly, divorce wasn't something that was looked down upon. At least not in that particular Southern Baptist ecclesial community. Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy half the sob-stories I heard. But there was no exclusion or judgment. Mind you, this is no endorsement of the Southern Baptist tradition. I'm just saying.

And I'm saddened by what you imply your experience has been... particularly since a condemnation of divorce was never something I saw, witnessed or heard about during my evangelical years. It sucks. People should be more welcoming.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yeah, with these claims happening so frequently, esp. the verbal abuse, there's always 2 sides to the story, making the man out to be the bad guy. If he even raised his voice it's "verbal abuse". Getting into an argument is par for the course of a marriage, and if you have one to many of those, she walks.

But seriously, you have to gauge for yourself what kind of "turmoil" this person went through. But you weren't there in their home as a fly on their wall, so you can only determine this by dating them.

I know of a guy, after 20 years of marriage, he got home and saw her bags packed. He was baffled , didn't see it coming. His friends had known him to be a good man, so there was no real reason outside of "I love you, but not IN love with you" or "We grew apart") gets to be a lame excuse. And this is the non-verbal abuse reasons.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This caught my interest. Ages ago I was a member of a Southern Baptist congregation. I guess technically I still am a member since they won't cancel my membership even though I've asked them to. The singles ministry groups included a fair number of divorcees. The older the age group, the more likely a divorce was. Go far enough up the age bracket and you'll land in a small group that was made up almost of nothing but divorcees.

Put plainly, divorce wasn't something that was looked down upon. At least not in that particular Southern Baptist ecclesial community. Don't get me wrong, I didn't buy half the sob-stories I heard. But there was no exclusion or judgment. Mind you, this is no endorsement of the Southern Baptist tradition. I'm just saying.

And I'm saddened by what you imply your experience has been... particularly since a condemnation of divorce was never something I saw, witnessed or heard about during my evangelical years. It sucks. People should be more welcoming.

Yeah, I remember being in only in my mid-20s when I joined a Christian singles group. Back then, being a mid-20s divorced woman was a dealbreaker for me. I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that most of these Christians were divorced. lol

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately when abuse occurs in Christian marriages, there are churches who allow and encourage it continue because of headship/submission and for the sake of getting people to stay married. This was a real struggle for me when my marriage fell apart. When I was seeking help, the church added to the abuse by heaping on the spiritual abuse of making me out to be the sinner for wanting it all to end and taking a stand.

Sometimes when you hear those old War War 2 "how the soldier met a woman when they were both 18" and points to her, tells his friend next to him saying, "See her, that's my next wife!"

Then you hear how they married, in their 80s now and have 5 kids, 10 grand kids and umpteen GREAT grandkids. lol

Of course, in the old days, getting a divorce wasn't an option due to religion.

I am saddened by the number of divorces that have occurred, even int he Christian community

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, with these claims happening so frequently, esp. the verbal abuse, there's always 2 sides to the story, making the man out to be the bad guy. If he even raised his voice it's "verbal abuse". Getting into an argument is par for the course of a marriage, and if you have one to many of those, she walks.

But seriously, you have to gauge for yourself what kind of "turmoil" this person went through. But you weren't there in their home as a fly on their wall, so you can only determine this by dating them.

I know of a guy, after 20 years of marriage, he got home and saw her bags packed. He was baffled , didn't see it coming. His friends had known him to be a good man, so there was no real reason outside of "I love you, but not IN love with you" or "We grew apart") gets to be a lame excuse. And this is the non-verbal abuse reasons.
The verbal abuse thing is especially tricky because everybody has lost their temper over something and said something that they regret. It's just nonsense.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
There is a difference between losing your cool or raising your voice from time to time, and the ongoing, escalating, degrading and intimidation of another person.

Here is a link that describes what verbal abuse is
15 Common Forms of Verbal Abuse in Relationships

Upvote 0