FlatpickingJD

Losing the battle with oxalis
Dec 2, 2005
✟38,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
An awful lot of schools offer good engineering programs. There's the big name schools like Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) or California Institute of Technology (Cal Tech) and a lot of state schools are good too, like UC San Diego and Georgia Tech. Don't forget other state schools like Iowa State or Michigan State . . .

if you know any engineers, talk to them about where they went and find out what they thought of the school and how it is today (might not be comparable) and what schools they would recommend.

Do you have an idea of what kind of engineering you might want to study? You could do a web search and get info that way too. (like searching for "civil engineering undergraduate program"). A final piece of advice is to go to the library or bookstore and pick up a Peterson's Guide to College (or Engineering Programs, if the library or store has one) and checking that for schools.

Good luck to you and I'm sure you'll find the best fit for yourself!

Upvote 0

Super Gnat

Take my hand, precious Lord, and lead me home
Sep 15, 2003
Cleveland, Ohio--Go Cavs!
Visit site
✟16,409.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I'm at University of Maryland College Park right now. It's great for engineering.. not so good for biomedical right now, but it's still good enough for me to get into good graduate schools, and they're expanding it so much that it should be awesome by the time you're applying.

Do you know what kind of engineering you think you'd like to do?

Upvote 0

Dela

Christian
Dec 30, 2003
San Diego
✟131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
rocketboy said:
Thanks everyone. i want to get into aerospace engineering. I am looking for a christian school tho. i live a few hours away from purdue, but my parents would like to see me go to a christian school. i have to agree with them...im not to fond of secular schools.
I would check out http://www.abet.org/ they have a list of all the accredited engineering schools in the nation. I haven't seen any obvious christian school offering aerospace engineering but I think it would be best to check the website yourself. Good Luck & God Bless!

Upvote 0

Manda_24

Saved by Grace
Jan 2, 2004
Indiana
✟19,896.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
rocketboy said:
Thanks everyone. i want to get into aerospace engineering. I am looking for a christian school tho. i live a few hours away from purdue, but my parents would like to see me go to a christian school. i have to agree with them...im not to fond of secular schools.

I don't know of any Christian schools with aerospace engineering, I did a google search, here, and found a few things, not much, but it might be useful. I have two friends from church in aero engineering, it's a good major but I've heard it's a tough one.

Secular colleges really aren't as bad as a lot of people think, I don't regret my decision to attend Purdue at all. I got involved right away with a church. It isn't a campus church but it is a church in the community that has a special ministry to college students. I got involved in the activities my first year and this year I stepped up and became part of the leadership team. If anything the secular college atmosphere has strengthened my relationship with Christ. If you are at all interested you can check out our groups website here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grunt

Physics > *
Apr 6, 2004
Daytona Beach FL
✟9,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think you're going to find a christian school with a real quality engineering program.

The big names have already been listed, but in general most big "state" schools have good engineering programs. Like Georgia Tech, Florida State, North Carolina State, etc, etc.

Personally I'm heading to NC State for aerospace.

Just be prepared to work wherever you end up going. Your first two years will be a solid diet of Calculus, Physics and Chemistry, topped off with a side of Differential Equations ;) It's surviveable, but it takes some effort. Hey, if you wanted it easy you'd be aiming for liberal arts, right? :D

Upvote 0

rocketboy

Oct 11, 2005
✟5,967.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Grunt said:
I don't think you're going to find a christian school with a real quality engineering program.

The big names have already been listed, but in general most big "state" schools have good engineering programs. Like Georgia Tech, Florida State, North Carolina State, etc, etc.

Personally I'm heading to NC State for aerospace.

Just be prepared to work wherever you end up going. Your first two years will be a solid diet of Calculus, Physics and Chemistry, topped off with a side of Differential Equations ;) It's surviveable, but it takes some effort. Hey, if you wanted it easy you'd be aiming for liberal arts, right? :D
yeah lol. im gonna do my best

Upvote 0

Alenci

To God be the glory
Sep 2, 2002
Lost in thought
Visit site
✟16,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think you could be upset choosing Purdue. It's in the Midwest, so despite the diversity the campus is still surprisingly conservative overall. I am always impressed by the number of Christians I meet in my classes. There are many churches and active Christian student groups around. I am involved with one of them and have worship or fellowship activities almost every day of the week.

Besides this, Purdue's undergraduate Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering program was ranked 4th in the country this year by US News and World Report- tied with Caltech. Every day I walk past the construction site of the beautiful, state of the art Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering where AAE is planning to move in 2007.

I would really encourage you not to pass up Purdue just because it is a large, public school rather than a Christian school. I haven't done research on it, but as an engineering student, I think you would be hard pressed to find a Christian school even offering this degree. It would be exceedingly difficult to take the specialized coursework you need for this major.

[If you are curious, here is some concept art of the finished building (it used to be named the Millennium Engineering Building).]

millenium-ext-render.jpg

millenium-int-render.jpg

Regardless of where you choose to go, I'm sure college will be a time of amazing spiritual growth for you as it's been for me. I pray that God leads you to the university or college that will bring you closest to Him!

Upvote 0

awesome liver

Mar 1, 2005
✟16,471.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
rocketboy said:
ahahaha ... no. you can't have your cake and eat it, too. not in this case. do you want the best education possible or do you want to go to school to feel better about yourself?

Upvote 0

FlatpickingJD

Losing the battle with oxalis
Dec 2, 2005
✟38,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alenci makes some really good points, and they honestly might apply at a lot of different schools too. Purdue is an incredible university that is often overlooked (see my 1st post for example ;) ).

A lot of the Christian colleges tend to be liberal arts or humanities based, so you really will be hard pressed to find one that offers engineering.

Again, like Alenci said, don't reject these public universities out of hand because they don't have a Christian affiliation. The college experience is made up of people and not just the institutional affiliations. You'll meet many good Christians at a public school, it's just a matter of getting out and involved in the community.

My prayers are with you all in your studies!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grunt

Physics > *
Apr 6, 2004
Daytona Beach FL
✟9,355.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The one thing im worried about by going to a secular school is the whole liberal aspect. im asking for some info from Notre Dame, this is the only one i could find right now.

You have to step out into the real world sooner or later. If you want a career in aerospace you're going to be spending a lot time around the type of smart, highly educated people who tend to be liberal, and are more likely to be atheist or agnostic as well.

Upvote 0

Alenci

To God be the glory
Sep 2, 2002
Lost in thought
Visit site
✟16,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It occured to me today that there's a grad student in aero in my campus group who went to Lipscomb (in Tennessee), so if you really wanted I might be able to get you in touch with her... unfortunately, she's so busy and so stressed I'd hate to impinge on her time. Maybe she can spare a few minutes for an AIM conversation or something, if you're interested...

Upvote 0
S

sunshine01

my brother is an ME major at purdue. he joined a group called campus crusade for chirst. it's basically a big group of christian college students at purdue that get together for bible studys, weekend trips, support, etc. i know that other schools have this kind of thing. it may be called something different, but on most larger campuses you're gonna find some kind of christian organization. don't sweat going to a christian college. besides, at a bigger state school, there's more people to choose from, so you're bound to find some good people to hang out with.

Upvote 0