Manila
✟34,975.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
How can we comfort or encourage unbelievers? If they are facing trials.

Sometimes I'm really curious, I can't just speak God's Word, they might be turn off.

Is it ok to just be positive only? Like saying these:

"That's disappointing bla bla bla, but at least you learn from it."

"That's sad, even me I'll get stress with that. But I believe you'll be ok soon bla bla"

Sometimes I think this is a false teaching that Glorifying yourself or this is really fine? Like showing positive to them first? Until they are open to Gospel?

catch_the_music

May 3, 2018
Denver
✟3,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Great question!
You can ask them questions like "What do you put your Hope in?", "How do you find your purpose in life?", "Do you know you are valued?", "Do you want to know where I go when I need encouragement?". Listen to them. Let them take the conversation wherever they want. Pray that the Holy Spirit will direct them to the encouragement they seek. Feel free to let them know some about where you find Hope. They may reject it or they may accept it. Let them think about it - as the Spirit works in their life. It may take minutes or it may take years for them to respond. In the meantime - pray for them.

Upvote 0

Aldrin25

Jun 7, 2019
Manila
✟34,975.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Great question!
You can ask them questions like "What do you put your Hope in?", "How do you find your purpose in life?", "Do you know you are valued?", "Do you want to know where I go when I need encouragement?". Listen to them. Let them take the conversation wherever they want. Pray that the Holy Spirit will direct them to the encouragement they seek. Feel free to let them know some about where you find Hope. They may reject it or they may accept it. Let them think about it - as the Spirit works in their life. It may take minutes or it may take years for them to respond. In the meantime - pray for them.
Thank you.

This only answer my question. =/

Upvote 0

Favoredclay

Apr 11, 2020
midwest
✟21,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think we become to aggressive with non-believers sometimes. I once asked the same question of a pastor and got the best guiding advice I have ever received, "just love them, build a bridge of Love and let Jesus walk across when He is ready".

So show your love and concern. Show up to help them physically and be a good listener. Do things they know you set aside your own time for, to help them. You don't need to beat them down with scripture, they will resent it. I have found that the most profound thing you can do to open a door to Christ is offer to pray for them. I usually do this at the end of a visit or time with them. Simply just ask may I pray for you? Don't get all into the details and calling on the spirit to fall and stuff you'd pray over a fellow believer, keep it simple and loving. You would not feed tough steak to a baby, so keep it to a simple loving prayer.....God can and will do the rest. Look at it this way, when you visit someone at a hospital, it is not within your authority to order test and treatments. You are there to comfort and perhaps call in the great doctor of heaven. Leave the work to those appointed to do it and do your job as appointed. Your job is to be a comforter and advocate, do those well first.

• Winner
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of the comfort in the Bible is for Christians and for believers. But I think a little worldly wisdom wouldn’t hurt. Try to give hope and help where you can. Be a friend. But words I think is what you are looking for, my short suit. Some people say it’s all for nothing but there’s hope in God. Belief in Jesus will go a long way for you. Make your body strong that will help a little. We all have a purpose. This is yours right now. I know it’s hard but you will find a way. It’s ok to grieve. I know you are sad it’s normal. God loves you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums