emotions at mass

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
We're not robots. Tears of joy, sadness, and love are a good thing. As long as you're not too disruptive, go with the flow. Just remember it's the Holy Liturgy of God and respect it as such. Otherwise, heed Anhelyna's advice.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After receiving the Eucharist, I often start crying while praying. I do so quietly and without distracting anybody else, but it simply is how my soul reacts to the moment and meaning of such a sacrifice.

Is there something that bothers you about such emotions during Mass?

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
many times i experience anger in my heart. and i want know how to deal with it during mass.

Anger that they are distracting you?
Anger that you don't have the same reaction?
Anger because people should not be crying?

I would try to find the root reason for this anger and then give it to the Lord. Covering it in prayer--- even saying Hail Mary's, Our Father's, etc--- when it happens would be beneficial.

We have a very sweet gentleman with Downs Syndrome at my parish. He's done some inappropriate things-- such as getting too friendly with females, speaking very loudly when the priest is speaking and only the priest should be speaking, coming up with the lady who takes the Eucharist to the sick, etc--- and it has annoyed me (I'm not angered but more annoyed that he's doing something he shouldn't be doing and has been told not to do before). I've learned to bite my tongue and say a prayer for him-- to be thankful this man wants to know the Lord and participate in Mass more than most Catholics do.

Upvote 0

henrikhankhagnell

searching for real christianity
Aug 24, 2010
Where I am right now, I guess
Visit site
✟8,373.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anger that they are distracting you?
Anger that you don't have the same reaction?
Anger because people should not be crying?
maybe angry with versus populum and the swedish language.
maybe angry with peole acepting the modern mass.
maybe angry since people often seem so happy. they never express emotions through crying which would be awesome.
maybe angry with the fact that they eat Jesus and kill animals.
maube....

Upvote 0

VivaCristoRey

May 30, 2011
✟469.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is a difference been emotions and emotionalism. Emotionalism at Mass is a bad thing but emotions are fine. The original ordering of the faculties before the Fall was such that emotion always followed from reason. But since the Fall, sometimes our emotions get the better of us. We get angry or lustful or whatever and we just can't think straight and do or say stupid things. But emotions which follow from reason are fine and good, we are not Stoics or Puritans.

I know there are people who think that men should never shed a tear. But seriously, if your wife or your mother or your child dies and you aren't crying, there's something wrong with you. And what man didn't cry when they shot Old Yeller? Emotions at big events are normal, if your daughter is getting married, feel free to cry a little. And there is nothing bigger than the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, this is the reason the universe was created, this is the reason we exist. We talk about the exquisite sufferings of Our Lady kneeling at the foot of the Cross, but certainly St. John wasn't detached either. This is Mass, it's Our Lord reigning from the wood of Calvary, it's the marriage between heaven and earth -- Christ and His Church. It's a big thing, so there's nothing wrong with getting emotional.

In contrast is emotionalism, which reduces the Mass to sentimentality, such as through inappropriate music, even Evangelical "praise and worship" music in some places (and even the Evangelicals complain about these sappy "Jesus-is-my-boyfriend" songs). In this, emotion doesn't follow from reason but reason is made subject to emotion. Confusing spirituality with emotionalism is a common mistake, and not only among Charismatic Protestants and Catholics but it has crept into more mainline parishes as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I get angry that there are extraordinary ministers of the Eucharist, whenever I think only the priest ought to distribute the Holy Eucharist. However, I usually don't have to deal with at TLM or DL; I just try to offer it up (whenever I remember) whenever I have to attend the New Rite at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,275.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is good to hear that most people agree with me that emotions may be expressed at Mass.

But then the nitpicking starts....

- the emotions must be about Christ's sacrifice;
- the emotions cannot be the result of what the poster perceives as inappropriate music;
- 'happy' emotions are bad; crying is OK.

Sheesh!

Most people don't have an emotions faucet that they can shut on or off at will. Some people are more comfortable with their emotional selves than others. On earth, Jesus laughed. Jesus cried. Jesus hugged.

He "humbled himself to share in our humanity." 'Nuff said. Let the emotion censors cease.

Upvote 0

Tigg

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2007
✟17,774.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Pax et bonum!
There is a common problem: people feel very emotional at Mass/Divine Liturgy. Some people feel like crying, expressing anger or other emotions. What should people do?

Crying, I send up a quiet prayer. Anger, first shock then again a prayer. If I feel that after mass I can be of some help, then I will approach. God loves us all...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Virgil the Roman

Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Crying, I send up a quiet prayer. Anger, first shock then again a prayer. If I feel that after mass I can be of some help, then I will approach. God loves us all...

:thumbsup:

God bless you Tigg! You always give good advice and counsel. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,981.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you feel emotional, that's fine, if you don't, that is also fine.
Pretty much. I've seen people get weepy during, Mass, prayer, etc.

As far as wandering thoughts that may contain anger or whatever. I've discussred this in the confessional. Some thoughts are junk. Junk is usually totally inappropriate thoughts. Some thoughts may be something the Lord is trying to point out to us interiorly.

Upvote 0