Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
The first single I bought was Suzi Quatro's "Mama's Boy" in 1980. I've still got it, it's a good song.

As for songs that I get a bit of guilty pleasure enjoying, here are some that I still like after all these years:

Christie Allen - Goose Bumps
Rolf Harris - Stairway To Heaven
Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart
M - Pop Muzik
Samantha Fox - Touch Me (I Want Your Body)
The Weather Girls - It's Raining Men
Baltimora - Tarzan Boy
Duran Duran - Girls On Film (both the song and video)
Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11
Patrick Hernandez - Born To Be Alive
Aqua - Barbie Girl
Alison Durban - Put Your Hand In The Hand Of The Man Who Stilled The Oceans
Neil Diamond - Sweet Caroline
Black Eyed Peas - My Humps (I've got that song as my mobile ringtone!)
The Osmonds - Crazy Horses
Gary Glitter - Rock'n'Roll Part 1
Li'l Louis - French Kiss
Kamahl - Desiderata
Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse Of The Heart (the video for that song is sooo dorky)
David Bowie - The Laughing Gnome (he's so embarrassed by this song today, he recorded it in 1967 before he became famous and then was a hit 6 years later)

Upvote 0

Neenie1

Senior Veteran
Feb 17, 2005
✟21,306.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My first one was either Madonna or Dire Straits. I remember the Dire Straits one well, it was a blue cover with a guitar on it. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called but it had the song Walk of Life on it.

I'm not embarrassed by that one, but I am embarrassed by the Madonna one.

BTW I didn't buy either of those, I was too young, my Dad got them for me and I think I was in grade 6 ROFL.

I can't believe he bought me a Madonna cassette LOL. There is no way I would buy my daughter Madonna ANYTHING!!!!

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,558.00
Faith
Christian
For some unknown, hellish reason, I bought a single of Mick Jagger “Let’s work”. I have no idea why I would have ever wanted it. It’s crap. Very crap.

I’m pretty sure my first record bought was Midnight Oil- Head Injuries or 10-1, and I still have them

As for songs that I get a bit of guilty pleasure enjoying, here are some that I still like after all these years:

Baltimora - Tarzan Boy
Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11

Niiice. I presume the Rolf Harris version is from Musical Challenge? My favourite song out of the challenge has to be Screaming Jets remake of "My heart will go on"

And will there ever be a better song than Love Missile F1-11 ?

Upvote 0

Amhacajo

Turn worry into wonder...
Oct 25, 2006
Australia
✟24,091.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
the first album I ever bought with my own money was a compilation album called Throbbin' 84. Noice name. hehe. Well I can say that; no I don't have it anymore and it died the death that tapes do; from being played over and over again....

That's not to say that all the songs on that album haven't been replaced now on CD possibly a few times over! My husband is an absolute 80's music fanatic and we have loads and loads of 80's CD's.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I love Rolf Harris! Saw him on stage at Twin Towns years ago...was so funny! Did the wobble-board and the kangaroo song and the picture of ayres rock...everything really!

Upvote 0

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
For some unknown, hellish reason, I bought a single of Mick Jagger “Let’s work”. I have no idea why I would have ever wanted it. It’s crap. Very crap.

I disagree. I quite like that song, even though it isn't the usual genre that Jagger is known for. I remember it getting heaps of radio airplay when I was in school, but it only lasted about 6 weeks in the charts.

Niiice. I presume the Rolf Harris version is from Musical Challenge? My favourite song out of the challenge has to be Screaming Jets remake of "My heart will go on"

No. It was from the ABC compilation album "The Money Or The Gun - Stairways To Heaven" put together by Andrew Denton and his "Rolf Rules OK" album from 1993 where he takes the mickey out of well known rock songs, e.g. a reggae version of "Wild Thing", James Brown's "I Got You, I Feel Good" done as "Jake The Peg" and "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" done as "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport". About the only song that he does on there which is relevant to the original is a good rocking cover of "Roadhouse Blues".

And will there ever be a better song than Love Missile F1-11 ?

Ask Tony James about that. I wrote to him some years ago telling him that the song was used in Australia for a Twisties ad, and he was highly amused.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No. It was from the ABC compilation album "The Money Or The Gun - Stairways To Heaven" put together by Andrew Denton and his "Rolf Rules OK" album from 1993 where he takes the mickey out of well known rock songs, e.g. a reggae version of "Wild Thing", James Brown's "I Got You, I Feel Good" done as "Jake The Peg" and "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" done as "Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport". About the only song that he does on there which is relevant to the original is a good rocking cover of "Roadhouse Blues".

For some reason, reading Andrew Denton's name reminded me of Paul McDermott...which reminded me of the Doug Anthony All Stars! Does anyone remember them?! I LOVE their stuff...not that I ever saw them perform before they broke up...only seen DVDs and such.

Sorry to drag the thread off topic!

Upvote 0

marduke

I am Me ;)
Feb 10, 2004
✟12,743.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My first one was either Madonna or Dire Straits. I remember the Dire Straits one well, it was a blue cover with a guitar on it. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called but it had the song Walk of Life on it.

LOVE THAT ALBUM (the dire staits one that is)!!! 'Brothers In Arms' is the album name. :)

hmm my first purchase was Silverchair - Freakshow. not really embarassed by it though... but i was given Spice Girls - Spice around the same time.... lol oh boy what a terrible album!! ^_^

Upvote 0

KristyAnne

Veteran
Sep 17, 2005
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Visit site
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Should I be embarrassed that I am reading this thread and thinking how great some of these songs are :p ?

My own embarrassing first purchase of a cassette would have to be one by *cough/mumble*New Kids on the Block. The one with Step by Step on it, I think it was 1989-ish. I was going to marry Jordan, you see, I even wrote him a fan letter-and he never replied *sob*!

I am such a horder, I think I actually still have that cassette somewhere.

Around the same time I also purchased some Bangles tapes. I am not embarrassed in the least by those, The Bangles still rock as far as I'm concerned :)

Upvote 0