✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hope it's okay I ask this here. :)
I know that there are certain things that Jews expect the Messiah to do, but what about Elijah? I understand that Elijah is supposed to answer questions and resolve arguments, but is there more that he is expected to do? Will the Rabbis only declare him to be Elijah after he has answered their questions and resolved arguments?
And how will they know for sure the person in question is Elijah and not just a brilliant scholar?
Considering he is supposed to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to the fathers, are Jews expecting like a great revival? More people returning to the faith and following Torah? Yeshua said Elijah comes first "to restore all things" - is that the expectation of the Jews as well and if so, what does that look like from a Jewish perspective?

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Considering he is supposed to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to the fathers, are Jews expecting like a great revival? More people returning to the faith and following Torah? Yeshua said Elijah comes first "to restore all things" - is that the expectation of the Jews as well and if so, what does that look like from a Jewish perspective?
Maybe Rabbi Kanievsky is the Elijah? He just predicted that messiah will be coming before the current Israeli elections.

And has this to say about it.
“People need to act in practical manners to prepare for the Messiah, not just speak about it,” Rabbi Fish told Breaking Israel News. “Rabbi Kanievsky is calling for all religious Jews and all Jews in general, to come together, to show unity, not just for the Israeli elections or national interests. Our ultimate goal as a nation is to bring the Messiah and we need to be united, to actually love one another to do this.”

Rabbi: Messiah Began on Sunday, Will Appear on Purim, and Will Finish With Israeli Elections

Good read on the subject of a Jewish perspective on the coming messiah. I too would be interested to understand how the rabbi sees who Elijah was/is having stated such an immediate return of messiah. It seems the orthodox community finds rabbi Kanievsky an expert on the subject.

• Informative
Reactions: chunkofcoal
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I hope it's okay I ask this here. :)
I know that there are certain things that Jews expect the Messiah to do, but what about Elijah? I understand that Elijah is supposed to answer questions and resolve arguments, but is there more that he is expected to do? Will the Rabbis only declare him to be Elijah after he has answered their questions and resolved arguments?
And how will they know for sure the person in question is Elijah and not just a brilliant scholar?

The To Do List for the final Elijah in the Roman Catholic Bible seems almost "messianic???"

Douay-Rheims Bible, Ecclesiasticus (Sirach) Chapter 48

Who broughtest down kings to destruction, and brokest easily their power in pieces, and the glorious from their bed. [7] Who heardest judgment in Sina, and in Horeb the judgments of vengeance. [8] Who anointedst kings to penance, and madest prophets successors after thee. [9] Who wast taken up in a whirlwind of fire, in a chariot of fiery horses. [10] Who art registered in the judgments of times to appease the wrath of the Lord, to reconcile the heart of the father to the son, and to restore the tribes of Jacob.

Reactions: chunkofcoal
Upvote 0