United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Eggplant Parmigiana

Father Marino said that he usually makes this the day before baking and serving to allow the flavors to mingle and set. He also noted that the word “parmigiana” doesn’t refer to the cheese but comes from a Sicilian word for weaving or tile-laying.

Serves 8

Ingredients:

• 4 medium eggplants
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 6 large eggs, beaten
  • Vegetable oil to fry eggplant
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced in half
  • One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 pound package part-skim mozzarella, thinly sliced or hand-shredded
  • 1-1/2 cups grated pecorino romano cheese
  • 13x9x3-1/2 casserole dish (or any baking dish with a similar volume and depth)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:

Cut the eggplant into 1/4-inch to 1/3-inch thick slices lengthwise, and set aside. Put the flour and the eggs in separate pans. Season the flour with salt and pepper to taste. Heat less than 1 inch oil in a frying pan to 375 degrees. Coat the eggplant slices with the seasoned flour. Dip the slices into the eggs and let the excess drip off.

Carefully place three slices of eggplant in the hot oil and cook till lightly golden, turn once, and drain on a rack. (Blot excess oil as they cool).

To make the sauce: Heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the garlic, cooking until lightly golden. Remove the garlic and add the tomatoes, oregano, and the salt and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes.

Put a thin coat of sauce at the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange the parmigiana (eggplant), and use the sauce sparingly. Arrange one layer of eggplant at the bottom covering the whole surface. Cut one or two of the less attractive slices into pieces to fill the gaps. Dab and spread a thin layer of sauce on top of each eggplant slice. The goal is to make four layers, without using all the sauce (unless you prefer a “juicier” parmigiana than I do).

Sprinkle grated pecorino and shredded mozzarella evenly over the sauced slices. Once you place the second layer of eggplant slices, take a few paper towels to both blot the oil and press down on the evolving layers. Repeat until you reach four layers of slices, sauce, and cheese.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. On the day I’m serving this, I take the parmigiana out of the fridge a couple of hours ahead of time and bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees until bubbly and lightly browned on top. Let sit for at least 15 to 30 minutes before serving.

Former Miami Herald Food Critic Is Now a Cook, Priest and Fire Chaplain

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I love eggplant parmigiana. You can "up" a recipe like this a bit by using high quality tomatoes such as Mutti, or Cento's Certified San Marzano whole tomatoes. And of course fresh mozzarella. The first time I cooked my own homemade version I had to physically stop myself from eating. It was that good.

I made a version of this once for my Seventh Day Adventist brother and his family. They follow the Old Testament dietary laws and are mostly vegetarian.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0