Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What tips and advice can you give those who have less experience with ministering?

I would be excited to see a thread dedicated specifically to this subject.
I am Dedicating this thread as suggested.

My first ministry position was on the back of a riding lawnmower. WOW! that was 38 years ago. I've found the times I am most effective is when I minister out of my day to day relationship with God. Early on I made it a habit to read a book a day out of the New Testament. Not fast, but slow enough to read and comprehend. It doesn't take more than an hour for the lengthier books. It's a good start.

My prayer time is sometimes at home, most times while I am doing most things that don't take a lot of thought. Driving etc.

If I were to offer advice:

Step one: Spend time reading the Word of God. Other books can come later -
Step Two: Spend time talking and listening to God and Godly wisdom from others.
Step three: Be accountable - find and keep a mentor - someone who can speak into your life and ministry.
Step four: Get involved with a local church and serve in a ministry.

• Friendly
Reactions: HARK!

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I currently minister about 230 times a year in local churches and internationally - but I sure didn't start there. It took almost 19 years before ministers would even call and speak with me.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If I were to offer advice:

Step one: Spend time reading the Word of God. Other books can come later -
Step Two: Spend time talking and listening to God and Godly wisdom from others.
Step three: Be accountable - find and keep a mentor - someone who can speak into your life and ministry.
Step four: Get involved with a local church and serve in a ministry.
Hi Hislegacy,

Thank you for making the effort to share with me.

1.) Knowing the word Elohim is certainly important, if one is to herald the word of Elohim.

2.) Certainly building a relationship with Elohim, and his messengers, is key to drawing others near in that relationship.

3.) Yah's word has revealed certain truths to me that collectively undermine the doctrine of every congregation that I have attended. My approach has been to teach the leaders of those congregations. The strategy is that if I can reach the leaders, that they will lead the followers with these truths. Even with all of my dedication and patience, I have repeatedly met resistance with this approach. I have used this approach for about 15 years now. After being shut down for my offer to lead a Saturday Bible study, by the elders of my current congregation; I have decided to abandon this approach. I am a well trusted member of this church. For many years I held the keys to this church. My current ambition is to open up my home to this study. I'm also entertaining the idea of doing quite, personal, one on one street preaching. YHWH sets people before me in my daily life, with opportunities to to reveal little pieces of his truth. I take those opportunities as I see them. When my home is prepared to receive those who are willing to objectively test these truths; I will be ready to bring them in for studies. Do you have any advice that would help me to be more effective with drawing people to sit down together to study his word?

4.) The leaders that I have approached, have difficulty answering my questions. I have asked them to sit down with me to do private studies. That hasn't happened. I have listened to them preach falsehoods. For example, I listened to a whole session on why we should accept the Book of Jasher as scripture. I went to this leader after the session, and asked him what Book of Jasher he was quoting from. the lost Book of Jasher which is lost, or the forgery, or the book of the Talmud, that was named after the Book of Jasher, that is well known to be named in Honor of Jasher, but not written by Jasher.

I already knew that he was quoting from the forgery; but I didn't tell him that.

He asked me if I had any proof of this. I told him that I did, and that I would bring all of the highly credible, well documented, proof to him in writing the following week. I did. I blew through most of a package of paper doing it; and he never recanted his false teaching.

I need to go as YHWH leads me. YHWH leads me to speak to those who will hear. Being in submission to those who would suppress the truth is not an effective way to herald the truth. I'm seeking help with how to draw those, who will hear the truth, near.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reading the gospels and seeing how Jesus ministered, I have come to this as the effective keys to a successful ministry.

1. Place yourself in a place where those in need might be found.
2 See the people and notice their needs.
3. Empathize with the needy. Not just sympathize, but identify with them and their needs.
4. Minister forth from the resulting compassion.

Matthew 9:36 KJV. But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.
Matthew 14:14 KJV. And Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick.
Matthew 15:32 KJV. Then Jesus called his disciples unto him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.
Matthew 18:27 KJV. Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
Matthew 20:34 KJV. So Jesus had compassion on them, and touched their eyes: and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed him.
Mark 1:41 KJV. And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean.
Mark 6:34 KJV. And Jesus, when he came out, saw much people, and was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things.
Luke 7:13 KJV. And when the Lord saw her, he had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not.
Luke 10:33 KJV. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,
Luke 15:20 KJV. And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Hislegacy,

Thank you for making the effort to share with me.

1.) Knowing the word Elohim is certainly important, if one is to herald the word of Elohim.

2.) Certainly building a relationship with Elohim, and his messengers, is key to drawing others near in that relationship.
3.) Yah's word has revealed certain truths to me that collectively undermine the doctrine of every congregation that I have attended. My approach has been to teach the leaders of those congregations. The strategy is that if I can reach the leaders, that they will lead the followers with these truths. Even with all of my dedication and patience, I have repeatedly met resistance with this approach.
From the use of your terminology, I assume you are Messianic. Please correct me if I am mistaken . I started my ministry in the Assemblies of God at a Messianic Congregation. There is a richness in their teachings you find no place else.

The following is my opinion - that and $1 will get you a seniors coffee at McDonald's. Most Pastors have studied, received degrees and spent time in ministry, typically fellowshipping with like minded ministers. It is very possible you are experiencing this resistance because they do not view you as an equal or not the depth of respect someone needs to receive instruction from another.

That does make you or them wrong - it's an indication of your relationship.
I have used this approach for about 15 years now. After being shut down for my offer to lead a Saturday Bible study, by the elders of my current congregation; I have decided to abandon this approach. I am a well trusted member of this church. For many years I held the keys to this church.

This kind of supports what I am mentioning. If they do not want you to lead a bible study, they certainly will not sit under your teaching. Regardless of the revelation you possess. Have you sat down with them and ask what you need to do to qualify to be a bible study leader?

My current ambition is to open up my home to this study.
My wife and I had a home cell group under the auspices of our Church leadership. It ran about 9 years and towards then end we had a steady attendance of 28 or so people. It is a great way to polish your teaching/Preaching skills. It also allows you to be involved in peoples lives.
I'm also entertaining the idea of doing quite, personal, one on one street preaching. YHWH sets people before me in my daily life, with opportunities to to reveal little pieces of his truth. I take those opportunities as I see them. When my home is prepared to receive those who are willing to objectively test these truths; I will be ready to bring them in for studies. Do you have any advice that would help me to be more effective with drawing people to sit down together to study his word?
Be yourself - people naturally gravitate to genuine. I know it sounds cliché, but I have found it true that the gift makes room for itself. Ministry is not about building a following (but followings happen), it is about sharing and demonstrating the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to set people free.
4.) The leaders that I have approached, have difficulty answering my questions. I have asked them to sit down with me to do private studies. That hasn't happened. I have listened to them preach falsehoods. For example, I listened to a whole session on why we should accept the Book of Jasher as scripture. I went to this leader after the session, and asked him what Book of Jasher he was quoting from. the lost Book of Jasher which is lost, or the forgery, or the book of the Talmud, that was named after the Book of Jasher, that is well known to be named in Honor of Jasher, but not written by Jasher.
Being Sola Scriptura - I cannot intelligently respond to those specifics
I already knew that he was quoting from the forgery; but I didn't tell him that.

He asked me if I had any proof of this. I told him that I did, and that I would bring all of the highly credible, well documented, proof to him in writing the following week. I did. I blew through most of a package of paper doing it; and he never recanted his false teaching.
I need to go as YHWH leads me. YHWH leads me to speak to those who will hear. Being in submission to those who would suppress the truth is not an effective way to herald the truth. I'm seeking help with how to draw those, who will hear the truth, near.
That is the truth - Jesus told the 12 and then the 70 others if the people you are sent to receive you - stay with them, if they don't - kick the very dust off your feet as you leave.

I've been blessed with the opportunity to train Pastors and leaders that represent 19 different nations. I'm accepted because we have history with the leadership of a number of National organizations. I teach and minister at their pleasure - Every trip I make ends with them filing out an evaluation on me and my ministry. A confidential report goes to my pastor, it is a tool for accountability.

No clue if that is helpful, but I hope it is.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
This kind of supports what I am mentioning. If they do not want you to lead a bible study, they certainly will not sit under your teaching. Regardless of the revelation you possess.
I haven't asked anyone to sit under my teaching. What I've done is asked questions that they can't seem to answer. What I've asked is to sit down one on one and look at the evidence together.
Have you sat down with them and ask what you need to do to qualify to be a bible study leader?
I was not afforded that opportunity. I made the offer to my Pastor to hold a Bible study on Saturday. Our church is currently not in use on that day. I regularly share meals with my Pastor at his house. I've been told that I can invite myself anytime.

If I talk about scripture during those visits; I'm politely asked to keep the conversation light. In other words "let's not talk about it. right now." I've asked him correspond with me electronically. He has agreed; but hasn't followed through.

When I asked about assembling a Saturday Bible study; I made it clear that it would be a study, not a teaching. The idea being that I would act as a chairman, as with Robert's Rules of Order, basically to keep order, and to give everyone a chance to speak.

He told me that he would talk it over with the elders. The elders rarely attend our church. He got back to me (after I asked about his progress), and told me that the elders didn't think that it was a good idea.

The following is my opinion - that and $1 will get you a seniors coffee at McDonald's.
Your opinion is built on your experience. That experience transcends any monetary value.

Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Greetings from Albania.

I’m re-reading posts here and thought I would add this thought.

I’ve found most people need to know me before they actually hear me.

That’s on a number of levels, but making a connection and them knowing I care for them is a key.

IMG_6612.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lesson I learned on this trip - always be over prepared. Because of weather and flight issues I landed 5 hours before I started teaching. The only thing constant in ministry is that things change quite frequently

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums