Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
i've been considering what the best types of education are, and like unschooling and the Montessori method. They seem to be pretty similar just that the one is more homeschooling and the other adapted to a classroom. That children learn to enjoy learning I think more important than learning specific facts, because if they don't enjoy learning they will gradually forget what they learned but if they do they will continue to learn more. Traditional schooling seems to be a huge waste of time and money, though a good education does take a fair share of those too. Especially in today's world we need creativity and independent thinking, which standard schools do not give as well as ones that give more freedom to the students to follow their own interests. I'd like to hear what other forms of education there are and the pros and cons of each. What systems of education do you support?

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I homeschooled/unschooled my children and did a stint as a private school administrator that incorporated unit studies, open classrooms and Montessori methods.

Unschooling is not about just letting the kids do whatever they want, nilly willy, but really it's about facilitating and guiding their education according to their strengths and weaknesses. It's about life as school and everything you do having some form of meaning. Arithmetic and math aren't being done just to learn facts, but it's used in everyday life and has meaning. The children learn that there's a reason we need to tell time, measure, count, figure out percentages, etc. and it's used in a practical way so they see the value in it.
When they were young, we read to them a lot, played games, acted out stories, wrote their plays, built things. As they grew, each had their own pace at which to read and do paper and pencil work.

The hardest thing was individualizing their educational goals.

We began using some textbooks around 6th grade but by and large we encouraged self education.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
What did they grow up to be?

Oldest son joined the Navy, did some schooling for electrical engineering and now runs his own flooring business, his brother is a manager for the delivery department of a furniture company and coaches gymnastics on the side, one daughter went to school for equine science but settled into art and found a good niche for herself and my youngest now is a stay at home mom who has a degree in archeology and worked in that field for several years.

What they grew up to be was people who know themselves, are content with who they are and who understand the universe doesn't revolve around them. They are service oriented and are teaching their children how to love others through serving. They grew up to be upright people who live their lives in joy and compassion. They grew up to be people who aren't defined by the jobs they hold, are very multi-faceted, who are able to work their hands, think with their minds and have maintained their balance in the midst of life's storms.

All of these things are not necessarily because they were homeschooled.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oldest son joined the Navy, did some schooling for electrical engineering and now runs his own flooring business, his brother is a manager for the delivery department of a furniture company and coaches gymnastics on the side, one daughter went to school for equine science but settled into art and found a good niche for herself and my youngest now is a stay at home mom who has a degree in archeology and worked in that field for several years.

What they grew up to be was people who know themselves, are content with who they are and who understand the universe doesn't revolve around them. They are service oriented and are teaching their children how to love others through serving. They grew up to be upright people who live their lives in joy and compassion. They grew up to be people who aren't defined by the jobs they hold, are very multi-faceted, who are able to work their hands, think with their minds and have maintained their balance in the midst of life's storms.

All of these things are not necessarily because they were homeschooled.
Sounds like all your family pursues interesting careers! Archaeology is fascinating. The military can be a good grounding. Art has so many applications.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like all your family pursues interesting careers! Archaeology is fascinating. The military can be a good grounding. Art has so many applications.

I think the accomplishment comes in the form of self-assured contentment to follow their hearts. They are doing things they enjoy.

The one thing homeschooling provided was time. Time to sit and ponder, time to pursue an interest without interruption,time to learn useful skills for everyday living and time for thinking.

It's nice to know that even if their career choice changes, there are many other options through their varied interests and hobbies.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think the accomplishment comes in the form of self-assured contentment to follow their hearts. They are doing things they enjoy.

The one thing homeschooling provided was time. Time to sit and ponder, time to pursue an interest without interruption,time to learn useful skills for everyday living and time for thinking.

It's nice to know that even if their career choice changes, there are many other options through their varied interests and hobbies.
Doing what one enjoys - if indeed a choice is there, work-wise; some ppl don't really have that choice - is a not insignificant part of the way work fits into one's life. Like you said, it's good not to see someone as defined by one's work. But being able to do it and enjoy it - even if earning less than in some other jobs - is an advantage.

Seems like years ago now homeschooling worked well for them!

If someone has a real flair for something - art, for example - it can have all sorts of applications, whether graphic design, or in tattoo parlors, or advertising, etc.

Reactions: Hearingheart
Upvote 0