Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
PArt of what I was attempting to convey is that evolution has become far more than the scientific theory, it has become an entire way of thinking.

i think that you are right. but the extension is into metaphysics, into explanations of why we are here and how to live a good life. These are NOT scientific questions but religious or metaphysics ones. The issue is not fought on the level of common descent or man's continuity with the rest of creation but rather in the metaphysical extension of methodological naturalism of science into the philosophic naturalism of scientism or evolutionism.

This extension is not science. It will not be countered or fought in the realm of science. This is the YECists big mistake. Thinking you can convince philosophical issues by fighting scientific issues. This is a confusion of levels, a conflation of common descent with human beings are nothing but animals. one is a scientific statement, the other metaphysical.

you will not win this battle of competing religions by fighting the science, you will do justice to the Lordship of Christ when you realize and fight on the level of metaphysics, on the level that extends the science past where it is justified, on the level that makes sufficiency claims like:
man is nothing but an animal
or
ethics and religion are nothing but wish fillfullment.

can i show that man is an animal? yes.
is it therefore science to say that man is nothing but an animal? no, that is the error to be shown, science doesn't talk about spirit or soul but silence is not a rebuttal, it is inability because science talks about the domain of the physical and the observable.

Upvote 0

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
Why do you need an explanation?

What is lacking in the Genesis account?

thats part of my point,
if you walk down the street do you require an explanation for where the gum on the sidewalk originated, or why its there?

yes their are things we do not understand,
yes their are things that cause curiocity,

But why is it that you feel that you are mandated to explain them all?
thats part of my world view point.

and with that I am out.

Maybe it's due to different mindsets, but if I see gum on the street, I'll assume someone chewed it and spit it out. However, if I'm presented with a real mystery, such as why humans carry a pseudogene for vitamin c, then it's worth investigating. Maybe it's because scientists enjoy furthering the knowledge of humanity, while Creationists (as in your posts) tend to accept "God did it" and leave it at that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.