United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
IgnatiusOfAntioch said:
Does anyone know what the ordinary educational level is of a parish priest. Is it true that most priests have a Doctorate?
in our diocese it is a four year degree in philosophy and then a four year degree in theology. I'm pretty sure most don't get doctorates but our associate pastor is working on one.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JJM said:
in our diocese it is a four year degree in philosophy and then a four year degree in theology. I'm pretty sure most don't get doctorates but our associate pastor is working on one.

Wow. I would think that to be a priest it would require many years of college. At least 10 years.

Upvote 0

SpiritualGladiator

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
✟7,844.00
Faith
Catholic
The requirements are pretty much the same worldwide. A future priest usually must have a bachelor's degree. No matter what the degree, he must obtain a certain amount of philosphy credits or he will have to "make them up" during his time in the seminary. While in the seminary, a future priest will then complete the theology component, which under normal circumstances results in a Masters of Divinity (because most already have a degree in philosphy or something else, so their theology education goes towards the master's and not another bachelor's, however, in the event this is not so, then one would first obtain a bachelor's of arts in theology and then subsequently go on to get the Master's of Divinity).

Few priests have doctorates. However, there are some religious priests who within their order, all have doctorates or nearly so, take for instance the Jesuits. They are a highly disciplined and academic order. They may even study for 12-20 years before being ordained! Many Jesuits have multiple doctorates.

However, nothing is ever set in stone and exceptions can be made. Though according to canon law:

"Can. 235 §1. Young men who intend to enter the priesthood are to be provided with a suitable spiritual formation and prepared for their proper duties in a major seminary throughout the entire time of formation or, if in the judgment of the diocesan bishop circumstances demand it, for at least four years."

further:

"Can. 250 The philosophical and theological studies which are organized in the seminary itself can be pursued either successively or conjointly, in accord with the program of priestly formation. These studies are to encompass at least six full years in such a way that the time dedicated to philosophical disciplines equals two full years and to theological studies four full years."

One can see here that this amounts to a minor in philosophy and a major in theology at minimum, though, technically no degree need be confered, though for all intents and purposes it always is.

"Can. 251 Philosophical instruction must be grounded in the perennially valid philosophical heritage and also take into account philosophical investigation over the course of time. It is to be taught in such a way that it perfects the human development of the students, sharpens their minds, and makes them better able to pursue theological studies.
Can. 252 §1. Theological instruction is to be imparted in the light of faith and under the leadership of the magisterium in such a way that the students understand the entire Catholic doctrine grounded in divine revelation, gain nourishment for their own spiritual life, and are able properly to announce and safeguard it in the exercise of the ministry.
§2. Students are to be instructed in sacred scripture with special diligence in such a way that they acquire a comprehensive view of the whole of sacred scripture.
§3. There are to be classes in dogmatic theology, always grounded in the written word of God together with sacred tradition; through these, students are to learn to penetrate more intimately the mysteries of salvation, especially with St. Thomas as a teacher. There are also to be classes in moral and pastoral theology, canon law, liturgy, ecclesiastical history, and other auxiliary and special disciplines, according to the norm of the prescripts of the program of priestly formation.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
PaladinDoodler said:
Wow. I would think that to be a priest it would require many years of college. At least 10 years.

Typically here, when (young) men enter the Seminary, they do a three-year BA in philosophy and a five-year Master's of Divinity. After their MDiv, they are ordained as transitional deacons and spend a year in pastoral ministry before being finally ordained as Catholic priests.

Upvote 0

SpiritualGladiator

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
✟7,844.00
Faith
Catholic
Veritas_et_Puritas said:
Typically here, when (young) men enter the Seminary, they do a three-year BA in philosophy and a five-year Master's of Divinity. After their MDiv, they are ordained as transitional deacons and spend a year in pastoral ministry before being finally ordained as Catholic priests.

The 5 years for the Masters isn't really just for a masters, but for a bachelors and a one year masters, or 3 years for a non-honors bachelors and a 2 year masters.. For 5 years of study, one would attain a doctorate for sure. Most masters are 1 year, some spread to 2 and 3 is pushing the limits. In this case, the reason for 5 years (though if you read above the canon is explicit when it declares 4 only is necessary, 2 for philosophy, 4 for theology) is to get the bachelors out of the way and then move onto graduate level course work. Then one achieves the requirements for their theology undergraduate degree then their masters as well.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
SpiritualGladiator said:
The 5 years for the Masters isn't really just for a masters, but for a bachelors and a one year masters, or 3 years for a non-honors bachelors and a 2 year masters.. For 5 years of study, one would attain a doctorate for sure. Most masters are 1 year, some spread to 2 and 3 is pushing the limits. In this case, the reason for 5 years (though if you read above the canon is explicit when it declares 4 only is necessary, 2 for philosophy, 4 for theology) is to get the bachelors out of the way and then move onto graduate level course work. Then one achieves the requirements for their theology undergraduate degree then their masters as well.

Actually, it is a five-year Master's program. I have looked into it, and I have a few friends in the Seminary who are going through it now. ;) The eight years consist of a three-year general BA in philosophy and a five-year Masters of Divinity, plus a year spent in pastoral ministry as a transitional deacon. I explained that above.

Upvote 0

eyesofmystery

Jan 3, 2006
Atlantic Canada
Visit site
✟8,237.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Most of the seminarians I know have done around 4 years of philosophy at the seminary, then I think it's 2 years of theology, then an internship in a local parish. I think sometimes they can skip a few years in philosophy if they have a university degree, but on average, it takes 8 years of study before a seminarian can get ordained.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The programs really vary depending on the level of education the man had before entering the seminary.

If he had a bachelors degree before entering, he will take two years of philosophy and four of theology.

If he did not, he will go through an undergraduate program, and then do theology.

Religious orders have programs of their own. Dominicans won't accept anyone who doesn't already have a bachelors degree. From there student brothers take two years of philosophy to complete a BA, and then complete an MDiv, MA(s), or combination thereof. Dominicans also spend a residency year and a novitiate year, which only appear to extend the educational time.

MDivs are typically three year programs.
MAs are two
STLs are three-four

Upvote 0

graysparrow

My life is for the kids who have it rough
Feb 6, 2005
Canary Islands
✟12,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We do 2 years of philosophy, 2 years of theology and 1 year of synthesis (sp?) that's the minimum to be ordained, [normally when you finish that you are ordained a temporary deacon, supposing everything is going all right, vocationally wise] but you'd normally do another 2 years of theology and maybe a doctorate.

From year 1 we are doing pastoral service on weekends, which intesifies on year 3 and onwards. Which means our only free days are sunday evenings.

Also remember some of us enter the seminary with a college degree.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Most parish Priests have either a BA or BS, and have atleast an M. Divinity if not an M. Divinity and a MA Theology. M. Divinity (which requires a BA/BS to begin studies for) is the requirement for ordination in the Catholic Church. There are some parish priests who also hold some form of doctorate.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Carrye said:
Actually, it isn't.

In the seminary I attended, a very prominent seminary at that, and from what the Diocese I studied for told me, an M. Div is required for ordination. There are some circumstances where men are ordained who have yet to obtain an M. Div, but the norm is for all Diocesan Catholic Priests to have an M. Div.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Michael the Iconographer said:
In the seminary I attended, a very prominent seminary at that, and from what the Diocese I studied for told me, an M. Div is required for ordination. There are some circumstances where men are ordained who have yet to obtain an M. Div, but the norm is for all Diocesan Catholic Priests to have an M. Div.

It is true that many diocesan priests earn an MDiv in their seminary formation, but it is not required for ordination. I'm not talking about the special cases where a man might be ordained before receiving his degree.

Priests must have formal education in philosophy and theology. Exactly how that is displayed in academia varies, and so there is no single degree that is required for any clergyman.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Carrye said:
It is true that many diocesan priests earn an MDiv in their seminary formation, but it is not required for ordination. I'm not talking about the special cases where a man might be ordained before receiving his degree.

Priests must have formal education in philosophy and theology. Exactly how that is displayed in academia varies, and so there is no single degree that is required for any clergyman.

Every Diocese I applied for, and all of the ones that my friends studied for required their priests to have 4 years post BA seminary studies in Theology which almost always results in the granting of atleast an M. Div and sometimes (if the student wishes to pursue that course) and M.A. as well.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
required their priests to have 4 years post BA seminary studies in Theology which almost always results in the granting of atleast an M. Div and sometimes (if the student wishes to pursue that course) and M.A. as well.

Sure, but that's very different from saying that a priest is required to have an MDiv.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Carrye said:
Sure, but that's very different from saying that a priest is required to have an MDiv.

I would dare say the overwhelming vast majority of Roman Catholic parish priests have an M. Div., minimum. You would be hard pressed to find one in the US who doesn't have an M.Div. Some religious orders require upto 12 years of formation and thus their priests have some form of Doctorate.

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I would dare say the overwhelming vast majority of Roman Catholic parish priests have an M. Div., minimum.

Again, that's a very different thing than saying an MDiv is a requirement for ordination.

You would be hard pressed to find one in the US who doesn't have an M.Div.

I know one, but that's not the point.

God bless you, Michael.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.