Editting the truth: How do you know when it's happening?

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I sometimes get these memories popping into my head; times when I was so sure I was right about something only to later be shown that I was wrong. At times I accepted the truth without much fussing or fighting, but a fair bit of embarrassment. At other times I fought long and hard, arguing that I was indeed right. There are times when I can remember doing this and then, eventually accepting that I had been wrong. But, what about times when I was wrong and I still, even now, haven't realized it?

It's pretty worrying to me, because if I'm unwilling to recognize areas in my life where I've been wrong in the past, then there's a good chance I'll make the same mistakes again. Anyway, I've been told that just having such worries in the first place is a good sign, so I'm going with that for now. I found this video pretty helpful and I'm curious to hear what others think of it (and the concept of recognizing self-editted truth in general). I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

• Friendly
Reactions: Mr. M

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It's pretty worrying to me, because if I'm unwilling to recognize areas in my life where I've been wrong in the past, then there's a good chance I'll make the same mistakes again
Don't Be troubled by the remembrances of the Holy Spirit John! If you are receiving correction from the Helper from past errors, accepting that our "sufficiency is not in ourselves, our sufficiency is of God", you are on a right Way.
John 16:13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Remain open to receive from above! You are manifesting the humility to do so by not fighting anymore to be right. I once asked the Lord, why there is so much debate among Christians? This was about 30 years ago, and I had spent an afternoon listening to 2 teachers argue pre-trib vs post trib, and they never addressed what the other cited to support their position, just used different scriptures. I hope you can receive this, but the Holy Spirit spoke clearly:"This is not the Spirit of Truth, but the spirit of wanting to be right. UC?

Upvote 0

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Don't Be troubled by the remembrances of the Holy Spirit John! If you are receiving correction from the Helper from past errors, accepting that our "sufficiency is not in ourselves, our sufficiency is of God", you are on a right Way.
John 16:13. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
Remain open to receive from above! You are manifesting the humility to do so by not fighting anymore to be right. I once asked the Lord, why there is so much debate among Christians? This was about 30 years ago, and I had spent an afternoon listening to 2 teachers argue pre-trib vs post trib, and they never addressed what the other cited to support their position, just used different scriptures. I hope you can receive this, but the Holy Spirit spoke clearly:"This is not the Spirit of Truth, but the spirit of wanting to be right. UC?

Thanks Monardo. I had wondered if these memories are from the HS. It's easy to see them as some kind of condemnation because they tend to be embarrassing, but perhaps God means to use that feeling of embarrassment to encourage change. I believe that has worked for me to some degree.

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,400.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It's easy to see them as some kind of condemnation because they tend to be embarrassing
Hebrews 12:11 Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.

Upvote 0

CaspianSails

Jan 30, 2019
Washington DC metro area
✟27,746.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just remember our life is spent becoming. We become like Christ as we die to our self. Our entire life is to die to self and come alive in Christ. Sure as we grow we make mistakes, we undertand some things incorrectly. As babes on milk. As we become more like Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit in us and as we give up our self determination, we find we are closer and closer to the thruth and become alive. I would love to say I was always right, but I cannot.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I sometimes get these memories popping into my head; times when I was so sure I was right about something only to later be shown that I was wrong. At times I accepted the truth without much fussing or fighting, but a fair bit of embarrassment. At other times I fought long and hard, arguing that I was indeed right. There are times when I can remember doing this and then, eventually accepting that I had been wrong. But, what about times when I was wrong and I still, even now, haven't realized it?

It's pretty worrying to me, because if I'm unwilling to recognize areas in my life where I've been wrong in the past, then there's a good chance I'll make the same mistakes again. Anyway, I've been told that just having such worries in the first place is a good sign, so I'm going with that for now. I found this video pretty helpful and I'm curious to hear what others think of it (and the concept of recognizing self-editted truth in general). I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Yes, we all might have difficulty at times with this. We can be convinced of something until the Holy Scripture is made clear to us and we see we were wrong ---that is providing we will bow to God's Word. I believe it is mostly better to first state that it is our understanding, rather than assert something as absolute. Our Bible does say we should be taking "...all the counsel of God" and should be "...rightly dividing the Word of Truth". God's Word is holy and our only authority for real truth ....right?

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

welcome to the human race.

Upvote 0