Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, how we sometimes ignorantly right off what God's Word is trying to say. I remember one day reading the last part of Ecc 11:3, "and if the tree fall toward the south, or toward the north, in the place where the tree falleth, there it shall be." I sarcastically responded "Oh, that is brilliant. Oh, that is so profound. Right." Since that time this has become one of my favorite verses (among 1,700). Why would God have something written that is so obvious, and "goes without saying?" "Oh, that's just the book of Ecclesiastes. It is full of things people say that leave God out of their lives." Try this interpretation (or at least application) on for size: First,
ask "Why do trees fall in the first place?" Either they are dead, have a poor root system, or someone cuts them down. In any case, once a tree is down, it stays down (discounting any help from man, beavers, etc.). It doesn't get up and walk around, or replant itself somewhere else. It doesn't change its position either. If it is facing south, it stays facing south. If it is facing north, it stays facing north. Ok, so what is the point? :clap: So think of the dead, dead people in particular. Once they are dead... do they get a second chance in life? Are they allowed to roam the earth as a ghost to tie up loose ends, to get "closure"? Reincarnation, a chance to escape hell, a chance to change things? Hebrews 9:27. Now think of Ecclesiastes 11:3. What do you think? Is this what Ecc 11:3b may be pointing us to understand? Remember, Ecclesiastes is written as (non-rhyming) Jewish poetry, and doesn't always just come out and say things clearly, but expects us to give some thought to it.

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, how we sometimes ignorantly right off what God's Word is trying to say. I remember one day reading the last part of Ecc 11:3, "and if the tree fall toward the south, or toward the north, in the place where the tree falleth, there it shall be." I sarcastically responded "Oh, that is brilliant. Oh, that is so profound. Right." Since that time this has become one of my favorite verses (among 1,700). Why would God have something written that is so obvious, and "goes without saying?" "Oh, that's just the book of Ecclesiastes. It is full of things people say that leave God out of their lives." Try this interpretation (or at least application) on for size: First,
ask "Why do trees fall in the first place?" Either they are dead, have a poor root system, or someone cuts them down. In any case, once a tree is down, it stays down (discounting any help from man, beavers, etc.). It doesn't get up and walk around, or replant itself somewhere else. It doesn't change its position either. If it is facing south, it stays facing south. If it is facing north, it stays facing north. Ok, so what is the point? :clap: So think of the dead, dead people in particular. Once they are dead... do they get a second chance in life? Are they allowed to roam the earth as a ghost to tie up loose ends, to get "closure"? Reincarnation, a chance to escape hell, a chance to change things? Hebrews 9:27. Now think of Ecclesiastes 11:3. What do you think? Is this what Ecc 11:3b may be pointing us to understand? Remember, Ecclesiastes is written as (non-rhyming) Jewish poetry, and doesn't always just come out and say things clearly, but expects us to give some thought to it.

Context is everything in Biblical wisdom literature--this passage is popularly attributed to the wisdom and counsel of Solomon.

IMO the opening passage of Ecclesiastes 11 is an admonition based vaguely on the concept of the Lord does not give us a spirit of fear, but that does not mean we should not exercise prudence and diversify our investment to spread the risk.

Otherwise we should not concern ourselves with what is God's business and under God's control. We cannot control the wind or rain and whichever way the tree falls, there it lies. Instead we should leave to God what is the prerogative of God and otherwise step out boldly to sow and reap, i.e. live our lives knowing that failure is possible, but without risk, success is impossible.

The imagery of the tree is simply an illustration of what will be will be and some things are just the way it is. And, we should accept it and move on.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0